Pollard bench drill refurb

1. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

No pictures of the paint.
    How'd the second coat come out.

2. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I wasn't happy with the second coat so its had three now.
    20190716_162519.jpg 20190716_162524.jpg
    Can't wait to get it back together, its taking up more than it's fair share of space at the moment. :vsad:

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Done-ish.
    20190717_143002.jpg
    Looks good but absolutely wasn't worth the time, money or effort. :ashamed:

Still need to machine the spindle, clean the table, find screws for the back cover, fix, paint, assemble and fit a motor, buy a belt, make a new switch plate and machine a couple of washers and pins.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Looks smart.
    Always enjoy doing myself.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I like the mechanical restoration of it, the jobs I've got left will be fun but the days of cleaning, filling, sanding and painting just feel wasted.

6. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I cut a test in a bit of steel to check I was measuring/cutting the thread and register right:
    20190728_162326.jpg 20190728_162905.jpg
    Spurred on by that success I drilled a 10.5mm hole in another chunk, reduced the spindle taper until it just didn't fit, then heated the blank to 300ish degrees and pressed the spindle in. That would probably have been plenty but just for good measure, against my better judgement I welded the end up, probably put 160 amps into it for about a minute but it still cracked a little bit. :( Is there a trick to machining weld? I've never had any luck with it, it always seems to behave like it's rock hard and deflect the tool. Strange because it files just fine so it can't be that hard.
    20190728_193959.jpg
    20190728_194007.jpg

20190728_194018.jpg
    Tool held in the rear toolpost because it's stiffer, I can clearly see the benefit of a solid toolpost mount like Robin Renzetti and Stefan Gotteswinter use, I'll need more toolholders before it can work for me but I'm definitely thinking about it. I actually got a better finish after I took the pictures using a HSS bit ground really sharp with no corner radius.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

There was no getting a center drill in it, way too hard, so I just held it in the four jaw, dialled in to within a tenth of runout on the bearing journal. I had wanted to hold it at the far end and support it with the tailstock to make sure the shaft was straight relative to the machine spindle but this looked good enough, the other end of she shaft looked nice and central in the headstock bore, no more than five thou runout over it's 23 inch length. Another option would have been to use a fixed steady but it would have made for awkward indicating.
    20190730_172859.jpg
    20190731_133447.jpg
    The finish on the thread isn't great (It never is, not sure what I'm doing wrong:dontknow:) but the picture makes it look worse than it is. That cover plate needed boring to fit the bigger nose diameter too.
    20190731_140414.jpg
    All fitted, looks pretty good. :D
    20190731_141525.jpg
    It doesn't seem to be sitting perfectly straight unfortunately, I think it's better than the old chuck but it's not ideal. I'll get it running before I can figure out where the error is coming from and sort it.

New bearings for the motor came this morning, just need to clean, paint and assemble it.

• 20190731_141824.jpg
Advertisements