One for the millers

1. jordhandson Member

Evening all

Whos idea was it to buy another tool for the tool room, I am bushed, father said all it ment was move the lathe round and put the mill at the end of the room, yeh right. I have had to move the bench along the wall, move the lathe, almost empty all the kit out of the tool room (why do we collect so much stuff) then when youve got an almost empty room, your father says he has 15 cans of floor paint in the other shed , well what, may never get the chance again, so as of last night 2 thirds of the room was floor painted, finished late as high as a kite.
    Dad said have a good nights sleep as he's organised the local farmer to lift the mill off the trailer at 7.30 am,
    Long day today got the mill in the workshop and then manhandled thru into the tool room, man its a heavy bit of kit pipe rollers and bars shuffling the table 5 foot long with the handle through a 4 foot doorway, aint easy. It wont go at the end the room it dont look right, no problem remove 5 foot off the bench move the lathe further along the wall, swing the mill round, great look much better, hang on its to low ok, we will put the mill on 3 inch bearers, done the roman way. Job done mill is in knacked now 4pm have some lunch dose in front of the heater for 10 mins. Right lets get the bench re-worked and bring some kit back in. 2030 finish almost done partly painted floor, didnt have the energy to finish tonight tonight finger crossed for tomorrow a ready for Monday morning work.

Favorite saying of the day "Dad do you need this" lol

Time for a beverage :drunk: not to many as got a busy day tomo.

Cheers Jord

Before I started last night
    SEP_0001.JPG

nearly the end of last night with my lovely long bench

20190125_171737.jpg

Cheers til tomo

slim_boy_fat, fizzy, Seadog and 4 others like this.
  2. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    last time I saw the floor in my workshop was when I built it:ashamed:

3. jordhandson Member

Evening pressbrake might have to exuse the spelling had a tipple lol

First ime ive seen my floor father does like to collect mind you when ever i say i got to get dad always says hang i might have one of them nine time out of ten he has

4. jordhandson Member

Hi all, early start this morning so an early finish, my shop is more or less back how I want it, its not to tight I can access all sides of the mill I have to re jig the power to the machines when I get time, the bench dont look to bad I've only got 8 foot left but will help me to try and stop cluttering it up if you know what I mean. I did get the floor paint first coat finished, I am only second coating round the machines and not under them, should help keep the dust down a bit.

SEP_0062.JPG

SEP_0063.JPG

I did have a bit of luck with those tool holders i purchased on ebay the other day the seller delivered them while he was passing, what do you think, I am hoping they will give me a start milling, I haven't studied them yet so will do some research through out the week to see what they do, there is an interesting bit of kit in the wooden box I dont know what it does yet but it looks like it could have been a expensive item when new.

SEP_0058.JPG

SEP_0058.JPG

SEP_0059.JPG

SEP_0057.JPG

I also managed to get my first machining book I got the Basic Machining Reference Handbook by Thomas J. Slattery & Arthur R. Meyers, my thinking is start slow with the basics then get a more in depth book as i progress if the books no good I have only wasted £4.

Cheers all

Jord

Seadog and Hood like this.
  5. Pete.

Pete. Member

See what you've done putting all the heavy stuff on one side - you've made the ground tilt :D

fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. jordhandson Member

Fathers never been any good with cameras lol normally pics are out of focus as he forgets to put his specs on ha ha

7. MattH

MattH Member

I hope you don't need to mount anything long on that mill table anytime ;)

Looking good though.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Looks like a collet chuck?

9. eLuSiVeMiTe

Had to cut the legs off my butchers block so my table would clear.

Looks a bit tight to the rhs here.

10. wyn

wyn Member

The bit in the box looks like a reversing taping head.

jordhandson and pressbrake1 like this.
  11. eLuSiVeMiTe

Yup. Saw the bigger picture and the info suggests that. Never seen one that uses collets to hold the taps.

12. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

8 foot! I've only 3 foot, and that's permanently submerged :(

slim_boy_fat and jordhandson like this.
  13. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    tapping head is treasure

jordhandson likes this.
  14. jordhandson Member

Result, its is a Alfred Herbert No. 2 Saftap Tapping Head & Collet Set

15. jordhandson Member

the table goes fully to the right 3 inches off the right hand wall, funny I totally didnt see that one, will sort it if and when I come across a problem.
    Cheers

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  16. RichardM Member

Nice camo on the mill, nearly missed it in the first picture!

Think you need a rest this evening :drunk:.

jordhandson likes this.
  17. jordhandson Member

Cheers

18. jordhandson Member

Its all up and running a treat I have just done my first bit of milling I have given me for a pressy a Sandvik lathe turning tool the only problem with it was it wouldnt fit in my quick change holder as it was 25mm shank and my holders are 20mm so i took off 5mm first attempt I am happy.

SEP_0097.JPG

SEP_0098.JPG

I have evan got me mood lighting done ready for the girlfriend lol

SEP_0094.JPG

I still have to get the second coat on the floor but I think I will wait till friday late as its a bit fummy.

Cheers Im of now to research them holders and bits I bought

Jord

19. jordhandson Member

Ok I have most of them holders and cutters sorted now have to figure out some of the carbide bits theres a mine field.

I am stumped on this thing its some sort of holder but cant figure what , Any ideas.

SEP_0074.JPG

Cheers

Jord

20. MattH

MattH Member

Looks like a milling arbor for horizontal cutters.

pawsnizzy, eLuSiVeMiTe and wyn like this.
Advertisements