New Aldi "Ferrex" cordless tool range

1. Onoff Member

I have a very short attention span (no lie that). I'll have to revisit where we got to

ukracer likes this.
  2. ukracer Forum Supporter

I know where you are coming from....I must have 30 plus projects going on here. That's not counting my wife's wishes. My wife's care. And Grandson sitting, which is going to get more intense over the next few days. (probably easier to be honest though) as I am due to have another Grandson in 3 days time. ;) ;) ;)

The good thing is I have accumulated lots of gear for projects over the past 12 months to keep me going with minimal outlay. (Hopefully)

The only real wants are a
    Zebra label printer.
    Oil for my lathe.

Which is just as well as number 1 grandson was expensive enough..let alone 2.

3. Kram

Kram Member

I wanted to be sure so done another test. My lidl drill wont run from my 5s lipo (never finished my layered abs adaptor). I wired a pot at 10k between T and negative. Works perfectly on both tools.

@Onoff any wattage, it is a sensor that has no power going through it. Just be aware it will not cut out when batteries get hot.

I had a sheet of brass, bought for this purpose :D

[​IMG]

Stuck too the tool when I pulled out
    [​IMG]

I really should insulate the pins, maybe a layered abs adaptor to keep them aligned.

Onoff likes this.
  4. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I have just looked back over this thread and noticed it is about eighteen months since I bought all the Ferrex cordless tools, they have done their fair share of work now and are all still good with no failures. Batteries are still good as well, just saying.

Bob

Windy Miller, Maker, Ruffian and 4 others like this.
  5. Onoff Member

Nice! I used 1mm copper sheet. So d'you think I need to connect T on my Makita battery to the centre pin on the Ferrex tool. THEN put a resistor between the centre pin and negative?

upload_2020-11-11_22-21-7.png

So d'you think I need to connect T on my Makita battery to the centre pin on the Ferrex tool. THEN put a resistor between the centre pin and negative?

Kram likes this.
  6. Kram

Kram Member

7. Onoff Member

Thanks but I don't really want to mess with the batteries themselves. Makita is my main kit, I just bought the Ferrex hedge trimmer on a whim.

The only "Makita" batteries I know have are clones and the circuitry in the two still working is different in each battery.

I guess I could reprint the adapter with a recess for the thermistor.

I still need to get a 3rd contact in the adapter of course. That'll have to wait until my lad is back from uni. The printer has sat gathering dust since he went!

8. Kram

Kram Member

I've made a few yt clips most have 100 or so views over years. That 9 second testing video is upto 2.5k views in less than 24 hours.

If somone were able to stamp out the pins and 3d print these I can imagine them selling many.

ukracer and Maker like this.
  9. ukracer Forum Supporter

What's a yt clip.lol

I am confused what would be 3D printed and what pins need stamping?

10. Onoff Member

YouTube!

11. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ah there was me thinking he meant battery clip. Lol

12. Kram

Kram Member

The YT clip is upto 8k views and appears to have gained me several italian subscribers :dontknow::laughing:

I ordered a 24v greenworks branded sander last week. Im quite impressed the plastic is glass filled nylon, motor is a decent size. The wire soldering, however, is *****. I have not yet worked out what signal is needed for the temp/signal wire, tried a 10k NTC, maybe it needs a low resistance PTC? Runs for 2 seconds only.
    [​IMG]

The speed controler board seems to have a nice soft start, so while I could replace it, Id much prefer to work it out and keep!

@Onoff would you be able to measure the resistance on your Makita battery, the T pin to negative? I suspect thats a PTC. I have no idea what value to try.

13. Onoff Member

Haven't got a meter that'll read circa 10k, sorry.

14. Kram

Kram Member

[​IMG]

That didnt last too long :( To be fair I was trying to cut 3mm thick steel tube. Looks like a sintered gear I might try to tig and file to shape, should be fine for its intended purpose.

15. ukracer Forum Supporter

What is that? My Ferrex chain saw gave up the magic smile 3 days ago.
    Fair play to Aldi. They have pallet loads coming in 10 days from Germany or I was given the option of a direct shipment to my house from Germany in 3 days.
    It's on its way as the tree is half down. Lol

16. Kram

Kram Member

Jigsaw. As I'd modified it I wasnt going to use the warranty, itll be fixed easy enough. I'd just prefer failures to be easily replcable parts like motor or switch.

17. ukracer Forum Supporter

I can find no reference to the motor control board on the Chainsaw and can't see how to get a replacement (even third party. :(

18. Onoff Member

I have the same issue here with a Ferrex 18V multitool. Dead PCB. Seem to recall I promised what's left to someone on here for spares but can't remember who!

19. Kram

Kram Member

Chansaw will be 40v, brushless? which limits your options. Id be suprised if the manufacturer/service couldnt post one out for an extortionate fee. Not in warranty?

Multtool can be made to work with a drill switch? I've got a spare I have been meaning to dissasmble and seperate the linear pot from the trigger and see if it'll work with a switch.

[​IMG]

Sander is bloody brilliant even with the 5S battery. It will get a lot of use so next task to make up three hard abs battery boxes and a bit that will fit the slot.

Only problem the cheap sanding discs I got, they wont touch mill scale.

Advertisements