New Aldi "Ferrex" cordless tool range

1. eddie49 Member

Aldi appear to have dropped their previous "Workzone" cordless tool range and replaced it with a new brand called "Ferrex". There's a drill, impact driver, angle grinder, multitool, also strimmer, hedge trimmer, lawnmower, and even a chainsaw. Most of the tools are sold "bare", and then batteries and chargers are sold separately.
    The li-ion batteries are "20v" at 2 AH ( i.e. what other manufacturers call 18v ), but also "20v/40v" at 2.5 or 5.0 AH in a self-switching series/parallel combination ( similar to the deWalt 18v/54v Flexvolt idea.) So one of these batteries would have 5 AH capacity at 20v in the drill, or 2.5 AH at 40v in the angle grinder or the chainsaw.
    Frankly, the tools look rather "plasticky" and flimsy to me, not even as rugged as the Lidl Parkside range, and they have not upgraded to brushless motors.

2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

I'd be interested to know the quality of the batteries themselves too; if I recall Aldi or Lidl always used to have a range of power tools with, if I recall, Samsung cells?

3. eddie49 Member

The cells are shown as being "Samsung LG 18650 HE4".
    Strange, I thought that Samsung and LG ( used to be Lucky GoldStar ) are two separate companies.
    Edit:
    Looks like the 2.0 AH batteries use LG "HD2" cells, 2000mAH 25A max.,
    and the 5.0/2.5 AH batteries use LG "HE4" cells, 2500mAh 20A max.

sparkysy likes this.
  4. Kayos

Kayos Member

I took a serious look at the new Erbauer stuff, the photos of it look photoshoped as it's very plasticky in real life. I'm sticking with Dewalt I think

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Got the advert this morning.....they dont look cheap either...drill is the same price as I paid for the Bosch Blue (admittedly on offer)

6. 8ob

8ob Member

I had an accident while shopping in Aldi`s today and this lot fell into my trolley. Got two 5ah batteries ,drill, impact driver, and charger, my lads will be using them next week so we will see if they are any good :o

Bob

IMG_2610.JPG

MattF, dobbslc, sardine and 4 others like this.
  7. ukracer Member

I looked at the mower today but having to add a battery and charger they lost a sale. :(

8ob likes this.
  8. 8ob

8ob Member

I was also looking at the Ferrex 40v chainsaw but couldn't see a price label on it .We like to keep cordless saws inside the machines for emergencies , as they use the same batteries I may grab one for evaluation.

Bob

9. eddie49 Member

Aldi are using the term "skin", where other suppliers use "bare" or even "naked". The Ferrex 40v Chainsaw is £50 bare ( inc. free online delivery if wanted ).
    The Mower is £85 bare, or £130 with a 5AH battery and charger ( which works out the same as if you added the £30 battery and £15 charger separately ) - but the online reviews for the mower are not that great.

10. northwest Member

United Kingdom
    If you dont mind me asking, is the GT85 from Aldi too? I could use a bulk pack.

11. 8ob

8ob Member

Yes, twas under £2 a tin so I got a twelve pack.

Bob

northwest likes this.
  12. ukracer Member

glad I left it then :)

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

They're doing a £25 bare grinder. Their range now uses all the same batteries which was a real pain previously. I commited to the old Erbauer range but some of the old Aldi stuff had the same batteries like the nailgun. I also have the Draper version of the nailgun, the first one wasn't right but the one it was replaced with has worked well and between the two nailguns they've nailed over 10000 50mm brads which I think isn't too bad for a DIY grade nailgun. They have a bout 10000 nails to go so hope they last.

14. ukracer Member

I grabbed a 17 quid cordless ferrex dremmel from Aldi yesterday as it would cost me way more just to buy the switch to repair my branded dremmel.

Does anyone know if the worx 20 volt battery is the same as any other as I need a battery charging and my sons charger for his power washer is at work. lol

15. Deckie27 Member

Eire
    Hi the 40v battery has
    Samsung inr18650 25r
    m sdiem

Bought one to see as it's cheaper than buying the cells from China. And I would hope Aldi aren't using fakes cells.

• 15581102413613350659019599536913.jpg
    Ruffian likes this.
  16. 8ob

8ob Member

I bought the £25 grinder online and have been using the drill and grinder for a few hours on the same battery, this 20v/40v works well. the grinder ( 40v) has plenty of grunt and was cutting reinforcing mesh with a thin disc, the drill ( 20v) used the same battery for screwing the shuttering together, no sign of it needing charging yet. My first impressions are good, time will tell.

Bob

IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2623.JPG

gaz1, Burdekin, roofman and 1 other person like this.
  17. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

toilet block????

18. 8ob

8ob Member

Its a bit of a strange job the lads are on atm for a mate of mine, its a base for a very complicated load of electrical equipment. Gurt three phase cable comes in off a transformer through the 6" black duct which is having a huge steel enclosure dropped on top of it , its then going to charge one of those monster Tesla battery packs as a back up supply which supposedly lasts for a few days in the absence of a mains supply , then a load of control gear for various alarm systems and another load of kit for borehole water purification hence the four green ducts . Its about 6`x12` and its going to be full up with techy gear. We are doing a load of other landscape work there so will take some snaps of the kit when it arrives.

Bob

Robotstar5, Ruffian and roofman like this.
  19. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

like to see this Tesla battery gear when its fitted mate:thumbup: and there's me thinking a plain old dunny:D

Ruffian and MattF like this.
Advertisements