New Aldi "Ferrex" cordless tool range

1. ukracer Forum Supporter

I had mislaid the adapter. Lol.

Front is 30mm and the rear is 6.25.

2. Onoff Member

Sweet. Nearly there on something else for you to waste time and materials on to find it doesn't quite fit!

Seriously though it's looking alright. Have you actually tried fly leads from the Ferrex battery to the Bosch drill? Don't want to print to find we should have allowed for a 3rd contact etc.

Ask me how I know!

ukracer likes this.
  3. ukracer Forum Supporter

No not yet. Best give it a go..;)

4. Onoff Member

Interestingly the base of the tool where the battery fits is very different on the Ferrex grinder compared to the Ferrex hedge trimmer. The body plastic has a different feel too. As I say the same battery fits both.

This fits with what I've read that Aldi/Ferrex get the tools from different makers and just whack a Ferrex sticker on it.

5. paulo1974 Member

hello
    It´s the middle of the night (5am) and i ´m too sleepy to read the full thread . i can´t get my eyes open.
    I want to warn about using lidl 20v battery to power up old cordless tools. The lidl battery pack don´t have the low voltage cutout on the battery only on the tools. So if you get and adapter for a old cordless tool you must be aware that you can easily kill the battery if one cell goes beyond 2,5v. They don´t have a balanced cell charge also.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Onoff Member

We're mainly talking about the Aldi Ferrex batteries here. Are they the same tech as the Lidl Parkside ones?

7. Onoff Member

@ukracer, The Ferrex battery to Bosh tool:

Excuse my dog rough attempts, I can't use Photoshop etc to save my life:

Keeping the + & - of Ferrex battery and Bosch tool on the same side it'll end up something like this, so the battery will insert the "wrong" way around to how it did originally. The thing is this makes for easier copper strips:

f2b_002.JPG

What'll probably look better is the battery going in the original way but this complicates things as I have to swap the + & - from side to side:

f2b_001.JPG
    Can you see the first option being an issue?

8. ukracer Forum Supporter

No mate. I have never been into asthetics. Lol

9. Kram

Kram Member

That is not correct, the balancing and cut off is all in the battery. The cut off is probably a soft cut by using a signal on the 3rd pin to disable the tool, Ive not tried it.
    Either way at 2.5v the tool will have zero power and will sound slow and you will feel it needs charging. There is a led charge indicator on the side. My opinion there is no risk here.

Open it up, stick an RC charger on your pack and it will be good as new. I was quite impressed with the design on my 2ah.

If you have a dead battery I am after a battery case to make a lipo adaptor. I did intend to buy a spare 2ah but the price has gone up!

10. sardine

sardine Member

I just acquired an Aldi " Active energy " battery but my RC charger won't charge it and there is a third ID pin on it, can this be bypassed ?

11. Kram

Kram Member

How did you connect it? You will need to open the battery up and add balance connections.
    It'd work for a one off to restore a battery but for general use better to use the original charger. If you do you'd want to make a hole to poke the balance wires out.

Doing this is not the safest thing, do not leave unattended unless its in a fire proof area - same as rc lipos.

12. Kram

Kram Member

@Onoff did you have any luck powering the ferrex tools?
    Tried my new jigsaw with a 5s lipo, led lights up for a second but nothing happens.
    Sounds like I need the middle pin connected.
    Would be great if somone could measure a battery pack to see if its a flat 5v signal, or resistance to the power pins? Likely a PTC that goes high resistance when it overheats.

If not, I know its a brushed motor, I can open it up, scrap the electrics and put a 24v mosfet switch in there. Would like to be using it this week :)

Opened it up,
    [​IMG]

Two mosfets on the board, couldnt see much of the traces but I think one is battery protection and the other is motor speed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  13. ukracer Forum Supporter

I don't think he comes on as much as he used do. And my impression was he was getting frustrated with his 3 D printer a little.
    I have the Ferrex gear and was more interested in using Ferrex batteries to power my other drills to save buying loads of new batteries but we never managed to get things working.
    I have just paid for some copper offcuts so I might be able to create some tabs on the CNC once it's running. ;)
    I am not as inventive as @Onoff .

One thing I have been concerned with is the 20/40 batteries dont work with all the range. I never thought about the fact that the 20 do not work with some tools as I stupidly thought the 40 volts would last twice as long . I grabbed a bare circular saw and thought it was duff as it would not work with the 20 amp cells as it is 40 volt only...took me a few months to work out why it would not run. Definately an age related mistake. :(

Onoff likes this.
  14. ukracer Forum Supporter

what do you need to know about the batteries as I only have the 20/40's here. But I have meters just no fully functioning brain now. :(

You will need to be explicit as I am a fitter/copier/dogs body as opposed to inventor/technical guru. ;)

Kram likes this.
  15. Kram

Kram Member

Please could you measure the resistance betweeen the centre pin and the power pins using meter on 20k ohm range. Im expecting a reading like 10k ohms from centre to one of the negative pins, which is how the parkside work with a NTC sensor on one of the cells.

16. ukracer Forum Supporter

12.67 between center and B1-

Kram likes this.
  17. Onoff Member

With a 3Ah Bosch Li-ion battery connected via +&- to the Ferrex hedge trimmer...

The hedge trimmer works for 2 seconds then stops. Pull the trigger again and it works for 2 seconds...and stops. Exactly the same as with a 3Ah Makita battery.

Attaching the "3rd wire" from a BOSCH Li-ion battery and the Ferrex hedge trimmer runs just fine without cutting out every two seconds.

HOWEVER...if I connect the "TH" pin on the Makita clone battery to the 3rd pin on the Ferrex tool, rather than running for 2 seconds and stopping the hedge trimmer just doesn't work at all.

Kram likes this.
  18. Onoff Member

Male menopause.

MattF and ukracer like this.
  19. Kram

Kram Member

That is close enough I think! I owe you a beer.
    Numbering parkside battery pins as this:
    1. Minus
    2. Temp
    3. Charger
    4. Plus
    I wired the Temp pin to the ferrex centre pin and it runs!

I'll also say the jigsaw was a pleasure to dissassemble and put back together. Its designed for ease of assembly.

I think if you had another brand of battery or just a plain lipo pack, you'd want a 10-15k resistor between the negative and centre pin. Use a NTC thermistor mounted on the cells insteas, if you want overheat protection.

The parkside battery is a secure-tight fit in the ferrex tool. The pins cant touch, but it means an adaptor is extremely simple - brass sheet extensions with some insulating plastic between. Cardboard prototype

[​IMG]

eddie49 likes this.
  20. Onoff Member

Do you think a resistor from the negative to T on the Makita battery would make it work properly on the Ferrex tool?

What wattage resistor?

Advertisements