MR2 MK2 sill repair - cheap panel!

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I find it a lot easier to just slap a colour coat on and then work on any issues. You can see there is an issue on the right hand side where the spoiler will go...sadly the spoiler won't cover it so I'll have to sort it out. Other than that issue it kind of looks ok....I have a few sanding scratches to sort out too of course.

I find it's difficult to see any blemishes with a matt primer coat...everything always looks great in matt....hence the gloss coat. Am sanding with 400 grit at this stage...I generally use 80grit for rough sanding, 180 grit for smoothing, 240 for scuffing and 400 at the stopper stage. No idea if this is correct but I'm happy with the bumper I did so am sticking with it for now.

• IMG_20170629_211620384.jpg
    Mark E likes this.
  2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Bit more progress...have literally just done the first clear in these pictures. Lesson learned today....if you try and fix paint when it's still wet then you'll make a mess!!

I'm going to just be doing 2 coats of clear...the plan is eventually to sort the paint out properly at some stage...this is just a neaten up to avoid the rear end looking like a dogs dinner! I'm happy-ish...it didn't come out as nice as the rear bumper. I think part of the problem is that rattle cans just can't get a wide enough fan on a panel like this so you end up doing lots of passes and the paint flashes off between the passes. Maybe I need to buy that HVLP setup I've had my eye on!

• IMG_20170630_154024582.jpg
    • IMG_20170630_154032207.jpg
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Done quite a bit more but as with these things it looks like I've done very little!

Removed the spoiler to prep for paint...resulted in lots of broken bolts and bits of plastic. After some head scratching I've managed to get it all back together again and have sanded and filled ready for primer.

Rear of the boot lid got a little ruined...it was my own fault as I didn't wait long enough before applying the clear...resulting in the clear coat damaging the base coat and affecting the colour. Its very annoying but lesson learned for next time.

On the side trim I had to take it all the way back in places...MR2s suffer from a bubbling issue which seems to be caused by the original factory finish reacting with the base material. It goes all the way through the paint and little bubbles appear. Have sanded back the worst bits....am hoping after 25+ years things might now be stable!

• IMG_20170701_151031968.jpg
    • IMG_20170701_151106912.jpg
  4. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    What's the spoiler made of and what did you fill it with? I've got a similar aged project - the spoiler seems to be rubber over an aluminium core.

5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Hi Atom...rubber and aluminium sounds like a nightmare although you might be able to find something like a flexible epoxy that might work.

Mine is fibreglass...I ground out the places where it got bashed and filled with carbon impregnated filler. I hope it holds...the spoiler is quite rigid plus the damage was just in the outer layers...I did drill a few holes through to give it something to bite. I though the carbon might help strengthen the filler...but I did a little strength test and I was not impressed with it....time will tell I guess.

When I took it apart all the screws broke of course!...had a nightmare day getting it back together. Should have taken a few more pics but I wasn't in a great mood!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Very annoying day...when I tried to remove the rusty screws they broke the captive nuts embedded inside the spoiler. I was going to just buy a used spoiler but then I figured the replacement would probably be just the same. These hold the top part of the wing to the bottom part which attaches to the boot.

In the end I made up some plates with captive nuts and then worked them in...the top one was easy as there was a large hole! For the bottom one I cut a slot and passed it through the side. Now it will all work as originally intended....except this time they'll be stainless bolts!

Before you ask...of course I dropped the plate inside the wing....twice. Took me half an hour to get it out!

• IMG_20170701_181206569.jpg
    • IMG_20170701_181218122.jpg
  7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Spoiler now fits lovely after I straightened the boot...pretty much the only thing that has gone right today!

• IMG_20170701_181506582.jpg
  8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Been working hard on the paint work...had a few disasters along the way too. I've learned the hard way that each process needs to be done in the correct order! The order I'm using is primer, high build primer (optional if needed),base,clear. Also I'm leaving 24 hours between each step as I had the boot lid go very very wrong! Getting there slowly...looks a bit of a mess but the rear spoiler and side pieces are now done along with the boot lid.

I decided to paint the rear quarters as the passenger side has had a dent in it since I bought the car and I wanted to finally fix it. The finish is "OK"....just done 2 coats of clear and then will leave it before I do any flatting/polishing as I think the paint is still very soft.

Having project figaro waiting on the drive really isn't helping...I was rushing the reassembly today and dropped a spanner down the quarter panel...cost me a few hours and a lot of swearing.

IMG_20170727_104807384.jpg

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Ahhh, the old festina lente :laughing:. Are both cars going to be keepers, or what's the plan?

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea willing the paint to dry doesn't seem to make it go any faster either. Figaro will be for a friend of mine who always wanted one....bought it cheap as it's got lots of rust and a small bump on the front. It could easily be a basket case but won't know until I strip it...paid less than the parts value though just to be safe!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Almost there....am missing a couple of fasteners for the rear mud flaps/under bumper trims...the rev1 wasn't sold with rear mud flaps but I managed to find a set of fleabay so they're going on.

In the end I painted the 2 rear quarters, the bumper, the boot lid and the 3 piece spoiler too. Took an absolute age with rattle cans...I haven't done any flatting or polishing as I'm going to leave it a few months while I errr.....start on the figaro :-)

Paint wise....not perfect but better than before so I'm happy....it's definitely a 6 foot car now (i.e. looks good from about 6 foot away!)....I'll eventually come back and sort it out properly (respray perhaps....or I'll buy the HVLP system and have a play myself).

Once I have the fasteners and the mud flaps sorted I'll be booking her in for the MOT!

It looks so much better with that toyota badge back in it's correct location too.

That boot latch needs a tweak but I'll come back to it....I spent 3 hours breaking into the boot after I locked myself out. I then did it a second time (another hour wasted). At that point I realised I was pulling the engine lid release by mistake....what a muppet!

• IMG_20170729_122927034.jpg
    galooph and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

You just can't wait, can you? :clapping: :thumbup:

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea...it's like Christmas eve :laughing:.

Part of me is scared that the bump on the front will be more damage than expected...part of me is looking forward to the challenge of fixing any problems. I'm just four small plastic clips away from getting the MR2 finished...it's torture...I have to just be patient and don't do what I usually do which is drive round shops all weekend looking for clips!

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Finally there...check out those OEM mud flaps (perhaps it's an MR2 thing but they are hard to find)...did a few tweaks to the boot and lights...will post some final pics once I give her a wash. Part of the reason for saving her was all the work that went in to rebuilding the suspension previously....still looks good 5 years on!
    The anti roll bar is an aftermarket one... White line I think....makes a big difference to the handling. I think just the exhaust cost more than buying back the car from the insurer...

115087[/ATTACH] IMG_20170730_171552856.jpg IMG_20170730_171649131.jpg

• IMG_20170730_171634455.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Still a few minor bits to do...bits of trim here and there + I'll need to flat and polish the new paint in a few weeks but overall I think I'm happy. It isn't show quality or anything but it's presentable enough for what I want and not so shiny that someone else will take an interest in her! Roll on project figaro!!!

mr2_1.jpg mr2_2.jpg

galooph and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

Nice work!! :thumbup: I see one of these in your future..........[​IMG]
    http://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-ultra-wheel-clamp

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Good suggestion...I need to think of something ...bollard maybe to stop my neighbour just in case she returns!:laughing:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

It was finally MOT day for the MR2 today.....wait for it......

Drum roll.........yep it passed with flying colours, so we're back on the road at last. Just one advisory which was a front brake calliper which has become a bit sticky....common MR2 problem. All the callipers were replaced around 5 years ago when I did the original build so I'm guessing it's down to some corrosion in the piston or just lack of use maybe. I may take it apart and clean it or might just wait to see if it sorts itself out with some use - the car has literally done about 4k miles in the last 10 years so definitely could be down to lack of use I think.

It really does feel like I have turned a corner finally and put all that stress and annoyance behind me!

The only small issue I had was with Footman James (my old insurer) being really a bit strange about re-insuring the car. Am not sure if it's because it's now a Cat C...managed to find an alternative classic policy so no big deal but was very odd indeed.....luckily there are plenty of insurers out there so easy enough to find a different insurer.

I'll keep posting if I do any additional work on the MR2...after all I have been here before thinking I had finished! Thanks for all the encouragement along the way....there have been some high points and some real lows but happy I eventually got here.

slim_boy_fat and galooph like this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

IMG_20170804_193748693.jpg IMG_20170804_193738628.jpg

1990s vintage interior...a sea of navy blue....I love it too :-)

Might be just me but the car seems to have gotten ALOT louder....either that or I've gotten older and my ears are more sensitive. I think it might be the combination of the mongoose exhaust and decay pipe which replaced the original exhaust (it's a 1992 so no CAT converter). I may need to replace the decat with a muffler or something....or buy some ear defenders :laughing:

And I need to add that bit of door trim to the snag list too....the trim was removed to get those side vents off when I was doing the painting.....just didn't push it back in correctly (it has those stupid self retaining popper clips on the back.....the ones that always bend over and then don't go into the holes correctly!)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. slim_boy_fat

An Italian tune-up might sort it, but I suspect it'll be a dismantle & clean job. Or a refur'd caliper under an exchange scheme?

Advertisements