MR2 MK2 sill repair - cheap panel!

1. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    OK - decided to post my MR2 sill repair. Am new to MIG and also fabrication so please go easy on my efforts. Sill repair panels are not available for the MR2....toyota sell small repair sections at great expense so I had to come up with my own method of fabricating the sills. Am sure others have done this and it's probably not a new approach bbut it was new for me. The other alternative is to fit sills from a car which are a close match...from reading around this did not sound as easy as just sticking to the original shape.

As with all Jap cars ...the original intention was to just clean off the couple of rust bubbles and do a quick repair with a small patch (I can hear the more experienced repairers quietly laughing at the beginner)

2. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    OK - so in the beginning there was a very small hole to fix...it then got somewhat larger...and larger...this was my first welding repair so it was a little scary to start cutting out bits of metal bbut in the end it's the easiest way to sort out the problem...and actually easier than welding to the rust!

• 1574.jpg
    • 1575.jpg
    • 1576.jpg
  3. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Then things took a turn for the worse!

• 1588.jpg
    • 1589.jpg
    • 1593.jpg
  4. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Unfortunately there was still no end in sight...the part of the sill on the inside of the wheelarch was rust...held together with mud!

• 1597.jpg
    • 1596.jpg
    • 1598.jpg
  5. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    thats the joy of car welding! that little hole turns out to be a whole new side

6. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    I couldn't find a supplier of a replacement sill...at this point I would have been happy to pay but toyota only sell a small repair section which is quite expensive. I looked at a few repairs using astra MK1 sills...they are a different shape. I didn't want to remove the whole sill as the rest was still rust free and I wanted a repair which kept the look of the original car. In the end I decided to have a go at makign it myself. After looking around the garage for a cylinder of the same shape I gave up...then I figured I already had a perfect template...the sill on the car where the rust hadn't eaten it away. I took a sheet of metal and bent the edge over on the bench with a hammer. I got every clamp I have and clamped the edge to the existing sill on the car...held everything in place and slowly pushed the sheet around the profile...I was pretty surprised how easy this was and how good a match I ended up with. I did have to do some small tweaks but this is easier when you already have pretty much the correct shape.

• 1590.jpg
    • 1591.jpg
    • 1592.jpg
  7. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Just a little tweaking and I was there...it was quite straightforward...well not including the couple of hours spent looking for cylinders in the garage.

• 1605.jpg
    • 1608.jpg
    • 1609.jpg
    wacky7791 likes this.
  8. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Inner arch also needed fixing...I didn't take pics for this bbut was a lot easier with the sill profile already made...pics are after painting so not great

• 1627.jpg
  9. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Next came the welding...am new to mig so go easy. Managed to get a good butt weld by welding on the natural curve of the sill. I used the stop/start approach ....lots of tacks and then fill in the gaps...I was surprised how well this worked. For those thinking of giving this a go and who havent welded before please remember there was lots of practice beofre hand...I didn't just dive in and give it a quick go

• 1632.jpg
    • 1635.jpg
    • 1636.jpg
    wacky7791 likes this.
  10. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    And a few more

• 1639.jpg
    • 1642.jpg
    • 1645.jpg
    wacky7791 and monky harris like this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Then on to painting

• 1647.jpg
    • 1650.jpg
    • 1653.jpg
  12. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Have since moved on to repairing the rear quarter...was a fimiliar story of a "quick" repair. If anyone else out there is doing a similiar project and would like me to add pics please let me know. Am half way through but haven't got a lot of pics as I was too busy cutting up my car. What I would say is there cars are made of very thin metal...you could almost use the rear quarter to wrap your christmas turkey! I had to butt weld the rear floor...I've got a descent welder...lowest power...copper plate on the back...and it's still a nightmare!!!

13. Top Ghia Member

Sheffield UK
    Hi Mate Im a newbie at MIG too so obviously no expert but that looks great to me especially considering it your first attempt. My Mazda Eunos is showing the first signs of rot in the sills so i have taken inspiration from you efforts to get the job done. Repair panels are available for the sill ends on my car but i might follow your lead and make my own.:clapping:

14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Holes

holes and welding
    what you need to remember is 2 inch of hole = 12 inch of welding
    by the time you have cleaned it all back cut out the rot won't be far out

always over estimate

244t likes this.
  15. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

have a look here they rot more than you think

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19362

Pugly likes this.
  16. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    Many thanks for the kind comments guys...wow the rust in that link was amazing. I put my pics up to inspire others but also to give something back to the forum....couldn't have done it without all the great info on here. I've owned my MR2 since 1997 - the old girl has been in the garage for 7 years waiting for me to get the time to sort her out. Rebuilt all of the suspension over the winter...including new brakes/pipes etc...thought I was finished and just had a little prod at a bubble on the sill! I think I got away lightly by the looks of it....the sill is a really poor design I think...any water coming down the wheel well just gets trapped in there. I've heard the t-top ones are even worse as I guess more water to deal with. I've moved onto the rear quarter...again I tried to do a small reapir but wasn't happy with the result so decided to cut out all the rust/rot and start again. I'll post some pics...it's not as neat as the sill but will all be covered by the bumper anyway so not too bothered - am already putting new metal in so will take pics from now...am really surprised how much you can do with just some basic tools. Found a lot of my stuff secondhand on fleabay...strangely alot of the older tools I've bought have lasted much better than the new stuff! Not looking forward to welding the inner arch...that will be great fun. I'd definitely recommend having a go but would say get your work area well sorted...I was struggling for months with pooor light...sorting out the lighting made a world of difference to my work.

17. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    OK - just popped down the garage to get some new pics...this is how the sill ended up looking after some white paint and stone chip.

Am happy with the way the sill turned out.....the rear quarter as you can see below is a totally different matter!!

• 009.jpg
    • 010.jpg
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    tazz likes this.
  18. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    OK - here are the first pics of the rear quarter...as they say...we are in the middle of the action so quite a bit of the cutting out was already complete and I'm now putting things back together.

This is a trial fit of the "repaired" rear quarter cut out panel which had to be cut out and needed some major surgery. If I had more tools / more skill I would probably have attempted to just make a new panel instead but as they say a man has to know his limitations (and the limitations of his tools!). I did invest in a tool to step the edge of the repair so it would be neater on the outside (can't remember what you call them!). The grey paint is etch primer to stop any corrosion. I was fairly happy with the repair patches but to be honest I will have another go at getting it looking better...I got carried away and put too much heat into the panel...I should have taken it more slowly so have distorted things a little. This area will be covered by the bumper but I might try to knock it into shape just for the practice and because I know it's under there!

• 013.jpg
    • 014.jpg
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  19. Pigeon_Droppings Member

UK, London
    This is the rear of the panel...I was happy with the welds but I think it got too hot. Quick question...for the rear do I just seam sealer the edge? I butt welded the sill so didn't have this problem before...I couldn't face butt welding the repair...just had enough of blowing holes in the thin steel so went for an easier lap joint.

• 018.jpg
    • 015.jpg
    tazz likes this.
  20. johniban Member

doing a great job there

Advertisements