MR2 MK2 sill repair - cheap panel!

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

It's confession time.. haven't done the MOT yet and despite saying I wouldn't do it I somehow managed to repaint and repair the rear bumper. I should have taken some pics as this is really my first repair and paint attempt...but I started by ordering some flexible filler for the scrapes and scratches and then one thing lead to another.

The aim was "rustic" in the sense that it needs to blend in with a 25+ year old car. Although the bumper looked OK in my previous pictures in the flesh it was well past it and just looked scruffy so something had to be done about it.

• IMG_20170609_225019598.jpg
    • IMG_20170609_225029702.jpg
    jpmillermatic likes this.
  2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I'm not associated with Upol but I have to say this dolphin filler/stopper is really the business + it's very very flexible so I'm hoping it doesn't crack or fall apart. It's a 2 pack product with a hardener....only criticism is that it goes off too quickly but aside from that it's a great product.

The pic of the paint is after just 1 coat of clear has gone off....no flatting or polishing....I'm going to leave as it is and move onto some other areas that need attention around the rear spoiler. Overall I'm very pleased in the sense that its a lot better than it was which is always a very good result!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I'm so tempted to buy myself a HVLP setup...does anyone use one and can recommend something. I'm looking for a descent finish...not show standard or anything as this will always be my project car + it's now a Cat C write-off so don't see the point of throwing money at it.

From what I've read you really need a 5 stage turbine....is this really true...is anyone using a cheaper one and getting good results?

I'd probably be painting cellulose I'm guessing....currently using rattle cans and to be honest the finish is acceptable but it takes a lot of work and patience to get something that looks acceptable!

4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

And a close-up...think I'm actually quite pleased.

• IMG_20170609_231640318.jpg
    jpmillermatic likes this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Got the rear end back together...I also had to do a small repair on the drivers side rear quarter which was also a little scuffed and dented. Came out "OK" but not as nice as the bumper. Just tidying it up a little at the moment....I may eventually get the whole car painted but I just want it a bit less scruffy so I can drive it around without it looking too shabby.

• IMG_20170611_124116575.jpg
    • IMG_20170611_124139854.jpg
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Turns out the boot "alignment issue" was down to a bent boot panel...I only realised when I removed the spoiler side trim on the rear quarter to sort out the scuffs! Not sure if this was the result of going through my living room wall...or whether it was originally like this...it always did look a little wonky to be honest.

Regardless I'm going to have to either sort it out or find a better one to bolt on....bits are cheap enough online for the MR2 but most stuff tends to be a bit tired anyway and if I'm going to have to paint the new one it seems no better than working with what I already have if I can straighten it out!

7. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

So impressed with the love this car is getting!

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers...it has some sentimental value... I bought the fiesta ST3 thinking that would get me over the MR2 but it didn't work!

The plan was/is to learn skills on something not too valuable (MR2)...eventually I want something like an MGA but thats some years away. Still have an MR2 MK3 to get done too!

9. DavidS16 Member

New cars are pretty soulless compared to old stuff imo.

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea totally agree...the ST3 is a fantastic drivers car though...my new cars are the daily drivers! But I'm already thinking about getting rid of it....just not a keeper.

I do love older cars...I have an old v70 2003...drove it yesterday and even with 165k on the clock it's a beautiful car...so well engineered.

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Sometimes you do literally have to just hit things with a block of wood...very satisfying indeed as it literally went back into shape with just a small tap. I'm convinced that the distortion is caused by the boot stay...the bow was right above the stay bolt points + the boot lid is very thin steel so I imagine over time it just flexes out of shape as the stay is a spring loaded contraption.

I removed the spoiler to just check everything was aligned + I'm planning to tidy up the boot. This boot isn't original to the car...some joker has decided to de-badge the boot in the past. Might have looked good if they'd actually bothered to do a good job! I can see the badge holes through the filler....might have to weld them as no rear access.

• IMG_20170612_182201661.jpg
    • IMG_20170612_182212819.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

OK...wife and I are having a bit of a dispute about the spoiler. The MR2 was originally supplied both with (gti model) and without (non gti models) the spoiler...the question is which looks better. Personally I prefer without as it looks cleaner...wife says with.

Any opinions out there?

I'm still so happy with that boot alignment...I'm going to have a think about adding a little more strength to the boot lid to prevent future distortion. I'd prefer it to be an invisible fix too so some thought may be required!!

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Stress!...there seems to be a tiny stress crack about 1cm long around 1/3 up the pic...it's in a horizontal line from the middle of the 2 attachment bolt holes for the boot spring retainer.

Its fun when stuff makes sense...I wonder if this is just 25 years worth of very minor flex in the boot every time it opens and closes against the retaining spring thats caused the whole problem.

• IMG_20170612_195329664.jpg
  14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    very nice work....

JP

15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers JP...I'm struggling to decide how to reinforce the boot (trunk ;)) at the moment. Don't really want to cut and weld as I think the whole boot is basically just adhesive and not welded. Current favourite is either epoxy with bubble glass filler or some kind of foam epoxy...I have no knowledge of either so more reading needed!

16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    what does that retaining spring look like?....that little spot looks creased across the whole beam there....

I would run a weld bead across it to patch the original metal, then perhaps another wider patch adhered on top of the dressed bead.....????

JP'

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Hi JP...here is a pic of the spring retainer. It's a coil spring...I think part of the problem is that the spring is under constant tension when the boot is shut!

Perhaps I should replace it with a strut instead.

Ideally I need to keep any welding well away from the edges as these are glued in place I think. The spoiler that goes on the top could easily hide a strengthening plate I think...might have a think about adding something to the outside of the boot under the spoiler perhaps.

• IMG_20170618_131418371.jpg
  18. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I would think that a thin but stout rubber isolator shaped like the metal where the retainer mounts would help quite a bit and spread the load. make it bigger than the mounting plate. or perhaps a piece of aluminum or bonded in steel would do the same thing. spreading the load to the creases in metal would make the whole thing stronger. Adhesives have come a long way, as an option.

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Some progress today...well whats the point of having a welder if you don't use it! The roofing nails were free from my builder....the idea I had was to pin the top and bottom together and then to run a weld top and bottom between the pins. I wanted a repair which would be "just strong enough"...I could have cut the panel open but wanted something simple. Lets see if it makes a difference. Basically the weld top and bottom thickens the sheets + the pins give it some internal webs.

• IMG_20170629_113030961.jpg
    • IMG_20170629_113037814.jpg
    • IMG_20170629_113044935.jpg
    • IMG_20170629_114606665.jpg
    • IMG_20170629_115858766.jpg
  20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I promise I don't work for upol...but am loving their products at the moment. I've used their filler which is impregnated with carbon fibre here. I bought it for the bumper repair but in the end I din't use it because the scratches and scrapes weren't that deep. It seems to go on nice and easy and has a bit of texture to it which makes it easier to form I think. I'll then go over the top with the thinner stopper products that I used on the bumper. Lots of sanding will be done but fingers crossed it will all come out OK.

In the end I decided to stick with the rear spoiler...I'm also reinstating the rear toyota badge. De-badging looks good on some cars....mine is totally standard so kind of looks like the badge just fell off. Love the way the previous owner thought he could just apply filler over the badge holes and it would stay in place...really!

• IMG_20170629_141009078.jpg
Advertisements