Mk2 3.4 MOD Jaguar restoration

1. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

OK, removed the std diff, axle spreader had to be improvised but it worked, BIG thanks to @Wallace for the heads up on the thrust pins, could so easily assembled it without them as the LSD from an IRS did not have them, trying to track some down now!

20200427_114907_resized.jpg

Wallace likes this.
  2. Matchless

This self isolation causes some problems, like lifting the axel into the press three times, only wanted to press out the pinion gear, tried bashing with a copper hammer, nooooooooooo, all stripped down now, three days to get this far! the picture is the first fail, tried it at 45deg one way, and then the other, the anti tramp brackets were the problem,

20200427_150910_resized.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

60 ton :thumbup:

4. Matchless

adequate for home use! would not be without it, way too useful.

5. Melvyn Best Member

Don’t know if your interested Patrick , there are some mk2 parts on Facebook UK classic car and scrapyard parts, guy has 3 doors a bonnet and a bumper

Matchless likes this.
  6. Matchless

I am good for doors and bonnet, mine are all quite good, bumpers are in the platers if he survives this trouble, may need some more if he goes bust! but thanks for the info, I do need a few parts like one rear spring and a rear door top frame with good chrome,

7. Matchless

I am going mad trying to shim out the PL (LSD) diff pinion when fitting it into my Mk2 solid axle! the “new” pinion has +11 etched onto the end, the correct pinion height seems to be 2.625" for a 4ha, so do I need to set MY pinion to 2.614" or 2.636" ? from what I understand it is 2.614"

I understand measured from the raised part (around 1" dia.) in the centre of the pinion rather the outer part?

problem is that with the original shim pack installed I am around 40thou low at 2.655"

to correct this I am thinking to make a 1mm shim to go under the inner bearing, on top of the pinion gear rather than keep removing the outer bearing race, thoughts please!

I cannot understand how I can be so far out though,

background to this is:-

my car has a solid axle, low ratio due to being a 2.4 engine originally, I am fitting a 3.4 engine and managed to buy a higher ratio LSD, Jaguar speak a power lock or PL from either an E or S type, same family, a 4HA Salisbury, but for independent rear suspension so I have to swop over the internals, so far so bad...…….

8. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

If I understand correctly, you're taking the internals from one diff and installing them in a different housing, is that correct? If that is the case, and I will say that I don't have a great deal of experience with diffs, then it doesn't sound unreasonable to me that the shimming could be a long way off. Is the crownwheel in the correct position? That will greatly affect matters if not. But I'm sure you know a lot more about diffs than I do, just some thoughts.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

10. Matchless

not even got to the crown wheel yet, just trying to set the position of the pinion relative to the housing, I have always avoided working on diffs for other people as I didn't want the liability, did a few bodges now and again and usually got away with it, needs must, will take a read of the link, have a Haynes manual and watches several youtube vids last night, think I have it straight but why is it 1mm out...…...

11. Matchless

looking at page 14 of that guide it seems I have it ar5e about face and I need to go for 2.636" can someone confirm before I go mad? I currently have 2.655" so may need to add .019" ?????

12. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

My interpretation is, providing all of these gear sets are common to the housing, that you are correct in thinking that it's 2.625" + 0.011" making 2.636"

Matchless likes this.
  13. Matchless

Thanks, I will go with that, and I do have up to 25 thou of shims available from the other diff so I don't have to make any, done it before when I had the large flypress but you do need very sharp tooling with close tolerances,

14. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

You could blue the crown and pinion to satisfy yourself that the mesh is, or looks to be, in the right place, once you've shimmed it.

slim_boy_fat and Matchless like this.
  15. Matchless

getting a bit further, not a lot, taken a week so far...………..well my working day is a bit shorter recently. yes I did allow for the thickness of the bar!

20200501_151731_resized.jpg

daf45 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. Matchless

that will be the last process, trying to shim the crown wheel now!

Seadog likes this.
  17. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

I've only ever done one Jag unit, i got lucky with the new bearings i guess, or the fact it never did enough miles in anger ! all the others have been stripped out checked and reassembled as they were, none have ever moaned !! As suggested, blue the gears up and run it round a few times to see the pattern

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/how-to-set-up-your-rear-gear-correctly/

18. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
  19. Matchless

Mr Haynes cut and pasted that leaflet but it was very poor print, hard to read, and they left a few bits out!

20. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

I've got a few manuals and PDFs to use, but can't load them up on here, that was the next best find, they were used in small commercial stuff too

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements