Mk2 3.4 MOD Jaguar restoration

1. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

ok, never done a thread like this before, it will be in fits and starts as I get bored and work on other things etc.
    My first car was a Triumph Herald coupe, I was too young to drive and it never made it onto the road, next car was my MGA I bought for £100.00 and restored it at home, whilst restoring that I passed my test and bought a Hillmn Minx 1500 that a woman had brought into the garage where I was an apprentice, £25.00 with full MOT, and a front easy clean bench seat,

next car was a Mk2 3.8 MOD Jaguar,

This project is a 240, the run out model with vinyl seats, slim bumpers, cheaper carpet and no picnic tables, I don't want a 240 so will be upgrading it to Mk2 3.4 spec. leather seats, fat bumpers etc.

I bought this project from Ebay a few years ago, it had been in a Bristol lockup since 1980, the owners bought it and then got jobs overseas in the oil industry, I removed it from the lockup with a mate, somewhere I have pictures,

The 2.4 engine was seized so I removed it whilst at work and steam cleaned it all, then left it until I retired, I bought a running but damaged 5 speed manual XJ6 ser3 3.4 for the engine and box but decided to keep the overdrive box so sold the 5 speed to cover the costs,

2. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

I have been buying parts mainly from Ebay for the last 5 years when they come along at the right price and not too far away if they need to be collected,

I have most of the exterior chrome in good but not show condition, just need a n/s/r window frame, the only bits I have in for rechrome so far are the fat bumpers,
    A good running 3.4 engine, original style big flat airfilter assy,
    A set of leather seats with picnic tables that should revive, want a patinated look,
    A good looking petrol tank found at Beaulieu jumble for £25.00!!!
    splined hubs and wires that I will get powder coated probably silver, don't like chrome wires, too blingy and too needy,
    Zeus 4 pot single pipe callipers for the front, NOS for Taxi upgrade from drums! stainless front callipers for the rear,
    Good looking radiator from Beaulieu for £30.00 !!! again Sunday trunk traders field,
    most of an exhaust system, need some front pipes !!!!
    and lots more in boxes,

zx9, Parm, indy4x and 2 others like this.
  3. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

these are some before pictures, the left rear jacking point has rusted but the other three are good, one front crows foot is a bit rusted, mar replace both as you can then get to the bottom of the wing lip, bits of rust rear of the rear wheels and back lower of the front wings, plus one sidelight pod is rusted, all in all it is very solid, some swelling to the corners of the doors, not sure what to do with them as they have not gone through, will spend some time on one corner to see what I can do, maybe I will put corners into the doors, don't want to at this stage,

up in the air.jpg right sill B post.jpg right rear inner sill.jpg right rear jacking point.jpg left rear jacking point.jpg right rear skirt.jpg

minimutly, andy_v, rtcosic and 7 others like this.
  4. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Cool thread! I think the first question on a lot of peoples minds will be - how the hell did you get it up on the stands!?

5. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

upload_2020-3-22_11-50-38.jpeg

andy_v, Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

My two post lift can be moved around like a (heavy) pallet truck when empty, means I can position it under the highest part of the shed roof or move it over if I want to get three cars in, also can put the Jag up, or lift a lathe off a trailer etc.

2002 on lift.jpg

7. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Think the next question is "why?" - looks too high to be able to any work on it

8. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

well it is very clear underneath in that picture but now my bike bench (old hospital bed) is under the right side, and I can walk under, only just banging my head! I felt it was easier for me to step up using small steps or I have a wooden step / seat rather than stooping all the time, my back would not like that for long, I also have a youngmans board I could put up on a pair of beer crates if I started sanding down the sides, I can do most of the welding on both sides where it is but it is out of the way, and I cannot pile junk on the flat surfaces where it is, I suffer from flat surface syndrome!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

I don't know if anyone has any Mk2 parts around but I am after a few bits,

front pipes, 3.4-3.8
    n/s/r door top frame with good chrome,
    one rear spring with at least a good top leaf, the short one, the one on the left is broken,

20200309_113137_resized.jpg

10. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

11. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

12. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

F*** me, I only paid £1600.00 for mine with minimal rust, that one needed to be a minus amount! he must love welding! mine is also an economy build, so far probably under £3500.00 will have to do some working out,

13. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

forgot about the LSD I found at Beulieu, set up day, saw a 4HA diff from an S type or E type sitting on the floor, guy said £100.00, bought it for £80.00, I had spotted two tags on it, one was the ratio, one said PL for power lock, I did not even get down to look at them as there were a lot of people around and someone might just buy it whilst I was looking, I will need to swop it into my axle case but should be able to do that, limited slips were only standard on 3.8 and upwards so the ratio had to be about right, it was spot on,

14. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    The price of MkII has shot up, people want a few grand for iron oxide. I have helped restore a few, currently a maroon 3.4 on the go. Have you been to any of the Jaguar Spares days held at the NAC in stonleigh - they are not on the scale that they used to be but twice a year you can get panels cheaper and any parts you need along with some good extra demos such as leather restoration gear.

15. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

no, nearly went to the one last weekend was it, but thought better of it, don't need that much now, I have a stall at Beulieu selling odds and ends of non Matchless parts and some tools that ere too big / heavy to post, mainly there to find pre war Matchless bits, as for Ebay, I looked at lots of grilles until one day one came up at a very decent price, same for the window surrounds, two from Ebay, one from Beulieu, one still to get, door handles, same story, I started looking for a diff or axle from a 3.8 two years before I got the one from Beulieu, slowly slowly catchy monkey, at the right price!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  16. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

I've got a n/s/r window frame in the loft - it's off an S-Type but they are the same. I've got a inertia starter motor, but I assume you will fit a pre-engaged one. I've got a nice manual steering box, but I'm guessing you will convert to rack & pinion while you have it up in the air.

I'll have a rummage for what else I don't need for my 420.

That looks a relatively solid 240. Easier to use XJ wheels on that than mine. The partially shrouded rear arches make fitting those much wider rims tricky!

Obviously you don't agree, but I actually prefer the slimmer bumpers on the 240 (and S-Type and 420).

Edit: can I borrow your 2 Post. Please. Pretty please. :laughing:

Patrick Gill and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. james butler

james butler Member

i like that!!!

18. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

I was and may still convert to PAS, had sorted out a BMW E21 rack that seems to fit the bill, the XJ wheels were just to move it around, I have some wires that I will get powder coated, I just don't like the slim bumpers on a Mk2, s type, fine, saw a picture of an S type with Mk2 arches, actually liked that! will get a modern geared starter, let me know if you have a decent window frame, I don't intend to remove the doors if I can help it, these shut like an old railway carriage, they never go back the same, I restored my BMW 2002 without taking the doors off and people often commented about the fit,

I do like the lift, cost around £2k with the vat, it is good for general servicing on the family cars as well, you just need to position the car carefully so the cross beam is not where you want to be working, changed the transfer box on the wife's X3 on it,

19. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

one picture shows the inside of the sill, quite solid!

20200307_141440_resized.jpg 20200308_172710_resized.jpg 20200308_124527_resized.jpg 20200308_124736_resized.jpg 20200308_172720_resized.jpg

andy_v and Wallace like this.
  20. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I'm sure its quite safe on those stands, But I don't think I would like to work under it

zx9 likes this.
Advertisements