Metalworking Career?

?

Are you professionally involved in metalworking

1. Just a hobby or necessity for my Landrover ownership

190 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Professional welder/fabricator (general)

112 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Professional welder/fabricator (vehicle related)

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Machine operator/ machinest

14 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Maintenance engineer

49 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Retired or no longer in the industry

22 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Other

82 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Hopefully the majority of the members here will see and reply to this thread.

I wondered how many of the active members here are professional welders/fabricators. Or even professionally involved, such as hot rod builders

Not just general fabrication, but also specific areas. If you feel you come under 'Others' please take a moment to tell us briefly what you do.

2. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Interesting poll Karl!:clapping:
    I'm curious to find out the results too!

3. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

i'm an other

metalwork for hobby & some odds & ends for work.... sheet, welding, HD brackets etc.... stuff that seems to take local firms forever & a week these days

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. tigler Expert on the trivial

I'm other too. Mainly do my own stuff in restoring classic bikes, modding my Evo etc. Also do some semi-pro stuff for a racing team and the odd bit of workshop fabbing.

5. Rubber Duck

Rubber Duck Member

Dorset
    Electro-mechanical maintenance engineer.

I use mig and stick at home for my Range Rover and other people who want bits doing. Stick at work on stainless steel, but I realy should learn to tig weld properly.

6. Tony Member

I'man "other". Mainly marine (stainless & Ali), agricultural and vehicle repairs. Other than that I'll do anything that makes a quid or two. These days you have to.

7. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I've gone for maintenance engineer as it's the closest to my job title of maintenance technician!

Might be worth changing that option to just "maintenance" and it could get a few more votes?

8. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    i am other as well farmer who welds ever thing from gates to machine but feel like a maintenance engineer some times

9. NTwoO

NTwoO More skill with grinder than welder

Netherlands
    Would love to choose "just for hobby", but my deep rooted hate for Land Rovers made me choose "Other" (Guess I gotta add a ;) just in case there are a few sensitive readers)

10. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    im maintenance an land rover owner!

11. Ed. Member

Other and retired for me as well, been welding since I was 18 and although I am retired now after having many varied and different careers, during which I had spent many years fabrication welding , mainly doing MIG work, I now just play around with welding or machining on my lathe just because I can! :D

12. eddie49 Member

Just a hobby .... don't have a Landrover ( but might be useful for towing the others ) ... day job is electronics ( computers ).

13. Wriggler Member

North Yorks
    I put general altough most of what I fabricate ends up on heavy plant/forktrucks/trains :)

14. oggy Member

leicester
    other for me too. solderer building radiators & aluminium brazing of oil coolers for a living. Also do radiator rebuilds/repairs from home aswell as oil cooler repairs .

15. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Other, I make my living working as a sculptor making all sorts of odd stuff.
    Chunko'.

16. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

Other.

Used to weld full time on Powerstation construction/re-fits etc, now sell welding machines.

17. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I'm a multi-discipline service engineer so not much welding/fab day-to-day but we sometimes design and build lead-lined doors for radiography bays, and irradiation systems for dosing rodents, so my involvement goes something like CAD concept drawings-CAD fabrication drawings-design leadwork and order from foundry-fabricate steelwork around lead-design electronics-install electronics-program PLC-deliver to site-commission-train staff-produce user and service manual. Apart from that I hardly play a part ;)

Also have an aged TVR, so that's justification in itself for owning a MIG set :D

18. alanrob Member

I'm an other too. My real job is in IT. But I do everyting even slightly related to IT. At the moment doing a fair bit with IP CCTV which has resulted in me fabbing all sorts of wierd brackets to mount cameras where they shouldnt really go.

I also make fun little sculptures and wall art.

And like most people with a mig everything looks like it could do with being welded..

19. theoss Member

North Yorkshire
    Part of my business was gate automation, and so made a few gates and railings along the way. Given up after six years, less work about, van and other stuff needed investment. Now do reactive electrical maintenance and am quite bored, but have regular money.

20. restorer

restorer Klaatu Barada Nikto

UK
    I put other.

My job is antique/furniture and object d'art repairs and restoration. It is a huge time/money saver that I don't have to send any metal work away for welding.

The only problem is, I don't get enough welding jobs to become really proficient. But I'm more than good enough to do small repairs if something drops off while I'm working on it or arrives from the carriers in bits.

Advertisements