landrover Welding

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    At least Land Rovers take many years to fall apart!

[​IMG]

indy4x likes this.
  2. postie jon Member

i didnt know BROMPTON made pick-ups as well ,genius.:whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  3. BarrieJ Member

Land Rovers aren't the only ones 2004 Nissan

Nissan Prairie 2004.jpg

indy4x and fizzy like this.
  4. stuvy

stuvy Member

Nissans are fragile crap

Iv replaced clutches in navaras as low as 29k and have heard of one failing at 11k

There shocks run opposed to each other due to the fuel tank location. With the added torsion it’s no wonder they break apart. Coupled to the fact there built in Spain and seat cars have awful build quality too

aguycalledsteve and pressbrake1 like this.
  5. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

TBF thats a 15 year old motor. Given thats alot of corrosion but still. It's not a new car any more.

6. maz0

maz0 Member

I replaced my rear crossmember a few years back. What started as preparation grinding at the back, soon had me at the gearbox, it flakes off as you touch it, the solid stuff that feels good enough to weld just blows through.... if its in bad shape then avoid IMO, it will be a sore head....if it looks solid then it should be ok. Horrible job all round to be honest, I was picking rust flakes out my ears for months after it.

mr migwire likes this.
  7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Landrover are probably the easiest and cheapest cars to get repair or replacement panels for, cant think of a chassis or body part that's not available which makes repairing one a hell of a lot simpler than most other vehicles.

Bob

invicta, Peloquin, indy4x and 3 others like this.
  8. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

Reasonably priced inner arches. They are available from landrover at an eye watering price. I sreally struggled to find alternative pattern parts. Ended up removing panels from anther car that was solid. The difference in price paid for my welder.

9. MoreWellie Member

a lot of series and defenders are like grandads old broom :laughing:

but that's part of the attraction

stuvy and fizzy like this.
  10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I refuse to work on modern cars but LR are so easy. Plenty of room underneath as well.

invicta and mr migwire like this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Which, if the reports here are anything to judge by, is where you'll spend a good percentage of your life. :scared:

indy4x and Rannsachair like this.
  12. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I have a 52 plate defender 90 that I have owned since it was 2.5 years old, I thought the chassis just had some surface rust and decided to get it galvanised - that was a waste of money: the chassis must have been wafer thin around the rear crossmember and lots of small holes blew through from the dipping and galvanising - made me go down the new galvanised chassis route. That ties up with blowing though when welding

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    My Discovery 1 has never let me down towing some very heavy loads.
    Needs a bit of welding now on a rear wheel arch. Not bad after 20 years of Welsh weather!

indy4x, stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    The thing that kills Landrover chassis is being double skinned which traps and capillaries water .
    And the dreadful crossmembers

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You're surely not suggesting it's adverse? :scared: :D

fizzy and stuvy like this.
  16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    No positively tropical.
    Swansea is officially the wettest and windiest city in Britain.:doh:

17. MattH

MattH Member

Just out of interest. If the lad's Dad has a workshop with a Mig, then why are you getting roped in?

addjunkie, pressbrake1 and stuvy like this.
  18. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

I always tell people that I'm not licenced to weld on vehicles when asked to do any work like that.
    Its more polite than slapping them

slim_boy_fat, stuvy and Seadog like this.
  19. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

I dont mind the landrovers but if i am welding a chassis i tend to go to town with my wee pointy hammer to get the max dimentions of the repair area, i then tend to cut a bit of 3mm plate to slightly larger than the area, offer it up, draw round it and cut out the chassis to that size. then let in the repair, a decent hot weld round it and dress to smooth once painted you wouldnt know it had been done. i suffer from mild ocd and take pride in doing a good job not a that'll do job, which is probably why i dont do many repairs for others as i couldnt charge them what i should. i would try your best to put them off.

20. maz0

maz0 Member

If you done that to my old one, you would have kept going until the cab fell on you!

indy4x and mr migwire like this.
Advertisements