landrover Welding

1. Gerry Norris Member

a dear friend of mine has a grandson who has a landrover which has failed on some welding He has asked me to have a look to see if I could do it The lads dad has a workshop with a workshop gas mig so no problems there any advice please? if it is just plating could i use standard car welding plate??Tried to talk me way out off it but he still wants me to have a look:(

2. julianf

julianf Member

Advice? If you do get involved, get the owner to do all the cutting, cleaning, preparation, etc.etc, and make it clear the only tool you are going to use is the welder.

jerrytug, owas, frank horton and 8 others like this.
  3. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

When I did my sons various Land Rovers he’s had, I’ve found the chassis to be 2 1/2 to 3mm thick depending where it is, so you need steel about this sort of thickness.

Hopefuldave and pressbrake1 like this.
  4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I should never plate a chassis with light gauge , a patch is not just a patch

mr migwire, BarrieJ and stuvy like this.
  5. mr haynes Member

Should always replace like with like. Enough landy bods on here to advise on thickness if not sure

6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I made and replaced a couple of Land Rover rear chassis legs and rear cross member, original metal was near enough 1/8" thick so made the new legs from the same.Also a couple of elongated diamond shaped fish plates to reinforce the joints,

7. postie jon Member

:o:welder: :vsad:

8. Mikes Member

Having been tricked into doing a 'little bit of welding' on several Land-Rovers, my only advice would be to get the owner to do all of the cleaning and removal of rusty metal before you even go near it so that the full extent of what you need to weld can be seen. Then is the time to then get the necessary bits for the repair. Usually upon cleaning-up the repair gets much larger than first thought so the little panel that you bought then needs an extension and so on. I've even looked at small patches on the rear crossmember and in reality the only sane option would have been a whole new unit. On a more positive note however, I can recommend YRM Metal Products for their parts but obviously depends on what you need to weld.

BarrieJ likes this.
  9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Learn to swear.

Invest in some good ear defenders, goggles and gloves.
    Be ready to explain and show how a small looking patch will grow and grow,

It is not a simple job, but can be fun.

Are you charging for your time?
    If not ££££ but exchange of something else?

Ruffian likes this.
  10. pressbrake1

essex england
    I think I’ve made and changed more Landrover crossmembers than anyone!

I shut the door when I hit the thousandth make and fit :o

gordon stephenson and stuvy like this.
  11. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Ignore them Gerry, they are all Venomous :)

If patching go large on the prep, what appears to be a 2" hole could quite easily end up with a patch four time that size. Nothing worse than getting three quarters of the way around a patch and the welder finds another thin bit :vsad:

Bob

12. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

Having done the welding on my Disco.

it's ALWAYS worse than it looks.

[​IMG]

This started off as a small rusty hole about the diameter of a ping pong ball. But when i got into it, this was underneath.

Windy Miller, 8ob, indy4x and 4 others like this.
  13. bourbon Member

I'm pretty sure that was a panel we used to make as OEM. They were as thin as as original! also a very sharp point on one end that cuts through gloves like anything.

14. CompoSimmonite Member

I've scrapped three Range Rovers, Disco and Defender due to "a little rot". Find out what is needed before you commit yourself otherwise you might find yourself being involved with a welding marathon this and every other year from now on !

BarrieJ and pressbrake1 like this.
  15. Run for the hills. Move house. Ditch your phone. Pretend you no nothing. Don't get involved.

16. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

My rule of thumb is if you got a hole the size of a finger then it will turn into one at least the size of your fist.

aguycalledsteve likes this.
  17. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Rule of finger not thumb!!:laughing::D

18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I was going to put that......alternativly, tell him you will do it, if he brings a blasted bare chasis.

19. pressbrake1

essex england
    I went into hiding from Landrover owners for two years! Even now I’m paranoid and get uncomfortable around the old rust boxes

indy4x, maz0, BarrieJ and 1 other person like this.
  20. Kent

Kent Member

Ha, just a few in my time (few hundred that is ) long time ago all series stuff.
    Much of it was easy when you knew how but it was the learning curve that smarted a bit.
    Today? Nah not for a gold clock nearly got talked into converting a forward control a while back but a dropped out with other commitments.. The lads who did it confirmed i was the lucky one !

gordon stephenson likes this.
Advertisements