Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

Nope, hopefully start again soon ish. Ive been manic with this house. Basically done now so I can relax a bit soon.

2. The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

Oh No.

You have a Land Rover.
    You have a house.
    You have a new build.

Aint going to happen.

3. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Welcome back. We like sheds, we like pics, join the dots.:whistle::laughing:

Colin

stuvy, garethp, galooph and 1 other person like this.
  4. arther dailey Member

glad to hear its all going on well,landy looks great earning its keep.

KimB likes this.
  5. KimB

KimB Member

Haha well there’s only a couple bits left to do on the house so hopefully it’ll be okay. Everything’s new :D
    Do I have to :rolleyes::laughing:

6. sako243

sako243 Member

Well at least you haven't got the kind of project I've got...
    img_4_80_dc.jpg
    Turning that into a usable workshops and labs for the business.

At least the house is ready to move into (just to tease @8ob again since he's rather jealous):
    img_0_81_mc.jpg

indy4x, Cris B, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  7. 8ob

8ob Member

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh Ed, with a bit of luck Polly will still be there :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Mikey D, stuvy, Seadog and 4 others like this.
  8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

but i have and i will be doing the building on the job dosnt include the new stables to be built

9. sako243

sako243 Member

Off topic but I'll have some, probably Victorian era, stable frames coming out of that barn.

10. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

That square door doesnt look high enough for a tractor or landrover with a lift kit....

There you go back on topic

stuvy likes this.
  11. sako243

sako243 Member

It's surprisingly tall that door and looks like it will but I admit it's going to be a tight fit. Besides none of the property is listed so if the door needs enlarging so be it...

Besides I don't have a lift kit fitted to my 110 - never found the need and hate the things. For the off-roading I do it'll get further than most vehicles (including those with lift kits) despite still having the rear anti-roll bar fitted and being on standard height suspension. Probably down to having three locking diffs :whistle:. It's general purpose vehicle so therefore is setup as an all rounder.

12. KimB

KimB Member

Back at it with some more updates :).
    Over the last year there’s been a slight oil leak around the Cylinder Head gasket. Coming from around the timing chain area.
    Recently I noticed it’s got worse so I decided to sort it out once and for all. I also am aware of the silly plastic dowels Land Rover thought would be a brilliant idea :doh:
    These had started deforming on mine so I’m glad I’ve got the chance to sort that, I am a little bit upset with how much I’ve spent in parts so far {sobs} :ashamed:
    Anyway, I got to it Saturday. Had one bolt snap which wasn’t too bad. That was on the turbo. Nothing my Tig and a larger kit didn’t sort out.
    Once I got it off I decided it’d be a fab idea to remove glow plugs, I got three out and snapped the fourth :doh:. Super annoying but it happens. I tried my best to sort it without causing anymore issues but I’ve had to get it sorted by someone else. I’ve taken it for pressure testing anyway, they’re going to test, remove the plug, remove and lap the valves and potentially skim and maybe re cut the valves to match amount removed off the skim? I think that’s what he said. All very reasonably priced. I am a little nervous about letting them skim it because td5’s aren’t meant to be skimmed (apparently) the engine builder said there’s no issue with skimming them if done correctly. Which is when he explained what I think I’ve eleborsted upon above. Anyway, here’s some pics.
    DF167930-6566-4D01-BDBD-A5CCC11FF288.jpeg 2E024103-E7CE-4B8E-AB8A-BDD2786623CE.jpeg AF1B58D7-5210-4DC1-87A3-AA1B3CF4390A.jpeg 7089F704-1902-4BEA-92F9-8C6B093E9B96.jpeg BDD7A8CB-E32B-4364-94EA-C475311D37C1.jpeg FF9FB576-A9E1-4779-866F-FFF08149DB05.jpeg 8BBC3A23-4757-4FBF-8B1F-BD0C0C704857.jpeg

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy all new suspension stuff. New bushes, new damper and springs made to my requirements :D
    B8A4FC24-DDF7-4579-A4C6-C3C0AA002BB7.jpeg 4CC0F06D-AA66-4D76-9537-DB5B49C41DF0.jpeg 111AB592-B7B4-4C82-9149-D4E31193D8E8.jpeg

8ob, andy_v, Rannsachair and 14 others like this.
  13. sako243

sako243 Member

Nowt wrong with skimming the head if done properly. My sister had a Td5 90 and that ended up cooking the head after a lorry threw up a stone through the radiator, ironically on the way to a garage that was going to sell it. A friend of ours took the head and skimmed it (conveniently has a mill that will skim the entire head in one pass) and it was touch and go because that particular head had already been skimmed before.

Chin up regarding parts cost - at least you haven't done this twice this year...
    DSC_0025.JPG
    Saving grace is I've now go the engine swap time down to 6h including tea breaks. Hopefully won't need to christen the new workshops in Fawlty Towers with yet another engine swap this year. I think after 5000 miles towing 3.5 tonnes moving the workshop the engine should be sufficiently reliable now.

andy_v likes this.
  14. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    If you're fitting a multilayer gasket - get the head skimmed, those are the rules as far as I'm concerned and it's what I always do.

andy_v likes this.
  15. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Old Man Emu shocks, you've spent some money there.

andy_v and KimB like this.
  16. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    The TD5 engine discussion posts are now in a new thread here.

andy_v, KimB and Robotstar5 like this.
  17. james butler

james butler Member

get a head gasket made thats made extra the thickness thats been removed then the capacity remains the same.
    thats whats supposed to be done but rare for people to do it.
    as for the plastic dowels:o i thought that was only a rover thing :vsad:

andy_v likes this.
  18. KimB

KimB Member

So I finished putting the head on today.
    Flushed the water and oil as well. It seems to be runing as it should (touch wood).
    I had a managed to get most of it done on Friday after work. Annoyingly I found the kit only gave me the one type of fuel pressure regulator gasket. With an ask on a forum I had some good answers. Grabbed one this morning, fitted it and after a bit of fuel priming it started :). Hopefully it stays fine. So nervous after a job like this haha.
    Washed him after, a clean car is a happy car :D
    87D06565-241E-4D6D-8D81-0143A75D7CE5.jpeg

DE360177-C8B4-4AAA-8956-4D9AAA701324.jpeg

298C9FE2-CCD0-4934-8EEA-84BD10C46527.jpeg

33869C2F-4C2D-4EE1-A7C6-8FC2CAB21757.jpeg
    If you look carefully you can see a mishap I had :doh:
    5EC28F3F-FE45-490B-8C6A-9DD85AB21964.jpeg
    These are the plastics dowels. They’re not the worst I’ve seen but they’ve clearly started to distort :o
    E262C4D0-2FF8-4F82-9A48-A0A66F454737.jpeg
    He’s so happy :clapping::D
    DCEF90FE-143F-4CDA-A850-2CDE820CEB90.jpeg

Seadog, jinjahbiscuit, fizzy and 9 others like this.
  19. sako243

sako243 Member

I'm sure you did but after taking the head off three or four times this year I always turn over the engine a couple of times by hand. That way if something doesn't feel right then at least you catch it before something catastrophic happens - an old 2 1/4 series head I did one of the push rods hadn't seated properly so found that as some considerable resistance before trying to crank it over.

And, insert choice word here, that head is massive on a Td5 - never actually realised that it was an overhead cam... :doh:

KimB and stuvy like this.
  20. KimB

KimB Member

I absolutely do, I learned the hard way :(. I turn it over a few times by hand then I also like to disable it from starting and crank it for a for a few seconds. I also ran a generous amount of oil over the camshaft area before starting so it’s not a try start. Can never be too careful.

fizzy, sako243 and stuvy like this.
Advertisements