Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks :) right now it's a bit harsh! I'm gonna have a full suspension swap soon. I still have the HD springs in, was trying them out but it's so rough on long drives! It needs some anti roll bars too. Just little bits of setting up really. I'll sort it all in the next couple months

It's called a Hupmobile. I'm sure it's early 1920's. Or late 19 teens. He's traveled round the world with it. The medals, trophies and all sorts he has are incredible! It's really wonderful to see. I got to drive it today! Other than the clutch, (which can only be described as like trying to move a challenger 2 by pushing it, with one leg!) it's great!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    All credit to you and the guy who finished it, it genuinely looks amazing. You should send your story to LRO, they would love it,lady heavy loads driver builds defender.

We need a picture of it on the back of one of your trucks

3. arther dailey Member

great pics:thumbup:

KimB likes this.
  4. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I have tried a few sets of springs on my 90 to optimise ride and comfort, I settled for Old Man Emu springs, the ones I have are progressive and offer a much better ride than HD springs. Mine came with anti-roll bars, though they limit articulation, they improve Road manners.

KimB likes this.
  5. KimB

KimB Member

That's what I'm thinking about fitting. Heard good things. Although I'm sure there's another brand which are as good if not better. I'll ask the question on a group. See what the majority say.

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

There was a guy who worked for Scorpion racing who was very good at speccing Land Rover springs, not sure if he went to another company or set up himself when they folded.

7. Migmac

Migmac Member

IMG_0495.JPG Think you should get another one and do something like this cuthbertson. I have really enjoyed watching your progress, the end result is very impressive- well done

KimB, andy_v and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I used progressive springs - can't remember the make - but they work very well. I used Bilstein shocks which again I found to be very good.
    A lot depends on usage - as you aren't really looking for offroading then I think handling would be more important.
    Oh and I fitted a pair of Quaife diffs! Really sharpened things up in snow and ice.

KimB likes this.
  9. KimB

KimB Member

Ooo that's was the other brand! I need to have a good look.
    Are the difs pricey?

10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Yes the diffs are bloody expensive. I paid £600 each. They are automatic locking - a bit liked the Torsen. Used a lot in racing and rallying. And on the Focus ST or similar. They are pretty much unbrakable.

Quaife is a top notch British company well respected in racing.

If you like LRs then google team Saluki. They used to run a fairly basic 110 in desert challenges. Often beating works teams running proper dune buggies costing millions. They used a JE 4.6 engine and Quaife diffs.

KimB likes this.
  11. Retroanaconda

Retroanaconda Member

Genuine Land Rover springs are pretty hard to beat in terms of quality and effectiveness.

The 110 has turned out well, bet you're chuffed. Now time to enjoy it! :clapping:

KimB likes this.
  12. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Quite pricey, did you consider http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/limited-slip-differentials/ashcroft-atb.html. I have used Ashcroft for a gearbox and diff and found them helpful.

13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Funnily enough the Quaife is also called the ATB.......

Rannsachair likes this.
  14. KimB

KimB Member

So, still working some teething issues out. Had a major ecu problem the other day. Which began a dad after a remap. So that's back to get sorted and the man that did it lent me an ecu. Then really randomly it started running ruff. Turns out an injector went. Ordering a second hand one tomorrow :)
    I've pulled them all now though. He's a guided how to remove them and I'll put one up on re inserting them.
    So for starters, obviously need the rocker cover off along with the breather. Then take the fan cover off and remove the fan so you can turn the engine over. 24mm socket on the crank to spin itnover :)
    IMG_2260.JPG

Then unplug the two fuel lines. This stops the fuel draining into the cylinders too bad, you will have to attempt to drain the fuel out he cylinders too, just to be safe. I'm going to do that by using a peice of clear hose, slowly sucking fuel up till I see it then fold hose pull out and dump in a bucket :)
    IMG_2261.JPG

Take the look off IMG_2262.JPG

Next unscrew each 13mm lock but on the adjusters then I wound all the udjusters out so that they were off the injector itself.
    Then very carefully unscrew the 6 10mm bolts holding the injector rockers in place. I did like 1/8 of a turn on each one in opposite orders as to not twist the rocker assembly. Once fully unbolted carefully lift out making sure you don't drop any of the bolts.
    IMG_2263.JPG

Now the rockers are off. There's a 10mm bolt with a clamp holding the injector in. Remove the clamp carefully. I used a magnet to pull clamp and bolts out. Keep these in order to the injectors, just to be safe :)
    Next I used Alen keys to remove the injectors. Use the end with a bend. It'll sit right under the injector and sit on the flat bit where the clamp bolts down. Then just leaver it out (carefully) it didn't take me much effort. You'll need to turn the engine over to get them past the lobes but it comes out easy
    IMG_2264.JPG

Make sure they are all numbered. It should look like this after. Number 1 is near front and 5 is to the bulkhead side.
    IMG_2265.JPG

I'll get pics putting it back together :)

andy_v, Robotstar5, colnerov and 3 others like this.
  15. KimB

KimB Member

I got a mouthful of diesel :'( first four cylinders not a drop of fuel. Last one had loads :(

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That's the kind of thing you never forget. :(

KimB likes this.
  17. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

I know a joke about that.

But as I am a gentleman I will not repeat it.

andy_v and KimB like this.
  18. KimB

KimB Member

I was going to say something really awful in response to slim boy fat but it's best kept in my mind hahaa

mike os, andy_v and galooph like this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Behave, the pair of you! :D

andy_v likes this.
  20. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

I always behave.

andy_v and KimB like this.
Advertisements