Review Jasic Pro Cut 80

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I intend to do a review on the Jasic Pro Cut 80 which arrived with me late this afternoon.
    I hope to get a chance to get it fitted to the CNC table tomorrow but that will depend on whether the weather is good or not, if it is good then I will have to crack on with welding some Aluminium.

Some pictures of what I have so far.
    The machine itself looks nice and well enough thought out.

ScreenHunter 685.jpg

I got a machine torch for it seeing as how it is for my plasma table. Thankfully the torch diameter is the same as the Trafimet I had on the table and that meant it fitted right into the torch brackets I had.

ScreenHunter 689.jpg

The torch however is full length, I had cut my Trafimet down to suit but I don't wantto do with this one seeing as how it is under warranty. That meant it was going to foul the motor bracket for the Z axis so seeing as I am a rough barsteward I just took the flap disk and made some slight alterations.

ScreenHunter 686.jpg

The torch now clears everything.

ScreenHunter 687.jpg

I will update with my thoughts on performance etc as I get to use it.

2. henry Kadzielski Member

like the modification. What's wrong with the previous one you have?

Memmeddu likes this.
  3. Hood

It is playing up, has been for a while but I never realised until I checked the current.
    It was just cutting at about 40Amps or less.
    I adjusted the pot on the PCB to get the full 65 Amps but as the cut progresses the current drops 10 amps or so. Got a new PCB but no different, TecArc never replied to my latest emails to even tell me how to set up the new PCB but I kind of knew anyway but was just wanting confirmation, seems to be a theme with them for some reason. I was going to buy a new TecArc and then send this down to get repaired but with their hit/miss response to emails I said F it and went for a Jasic instead.

4. henry Kadzielski Member

That works:laughing:

5. Hood

Afraid I have been unable to test out the Jasic due to a few issues, one of them being the majority of the staff are furloughed and the office had sent out the plasma and torch not realising that a technician needed to modify the torch.

First off when I tried the Jasic the torch would not do anything when connected to my computer/THC, I checked and the THC relay was operating as it should and the signal was getting to the end of the plug I had made up so it seemed to be something amiss with the Jasic.

Andy from Jasic phoned me and it was discovered that the torch connection pins were in the wrong place so I pulled them out and put them in the correct positions but still nothing so I emailed Andy again but it was after 4pm so I wasn't expecting a reply until Monday.
    Friday evening at 6:30pm my phone rang and it was Andy, and in the end it was concluded that the Jasic manual was wrong as they had changed the pinout on the CNC plug but going through the connection diagram it seems that if connecting via the CNC socket the torch safety circuit would not work. I worked out a way that I could get it incorporated by cutting the safety circuit wires and connecting them in series with the THC relay and the CNC socket. Jasic however preferred that I send the torch back to them for them to add a couple of extra pins in the torch plug and a couple of wires for me to connect the THC relay to and negate the need to go via the CNC socket for start/stop.

Personally I think my method would have been the neater solution but to keep my warranty they preferred if I send the torch back for them to rework, it arrived with them yesterday so fingers crossed I should get it back very soon and I will hopefully be able to get the plasma tested out.

I can't say enough good things about the support from Jasic so far, not only did I get that Friday evening call (two in fact) but I also got some emails over the weekend and also a revised copy of the manual first thing on Monday.
    Granted the torch should have been correctly wired and info supplied but the lockdown played a big part in the problems so I can't grumble too much and actually getting someone responding to me is a welcome change, only EWM have been as responsive to any technical questions/help I have had/needed.

tom2207 and bletchmonster like this.
  6. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

Support like that means a lot, anything can go wrong but them trying to help us the main thing.

Can remember a few years ago had 2 pretty similar products and unbelievably both broke down on a Friday afternoon, company A answered the phone but said it was too late on a Friday to do anything, company B answered the phone and had a man drive about 80 miles that night to drop off the part for us to fit on the Saturday, not difficult to work out which company we still use.

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Dude. Sod Rtech and TecArc and Jasic.

get a proper Hypertherm.

8. Hood

I almost did but at 3x the price I decided against it as I may not have much work left in me :D

The TecArc was nice, still is but now I know there is an issue somewhere and I didn't want to be stuck needing a plasma and not having one and the backup from them seems to be hit or miss I am sad to say.
    Jasic backup so far has been top notch, shame I needed it but again the virus seems to have been the major issue.
    How well the Jasic will perform I will have to wait and see but once I get it running I will then decide what to do with the TecArc, I have a few people that have asked me about it, someone on here, a mate who is thinking about making a table and a local company thinking they could do with one :D
    I think the TecArc is likely to be an easy fix, there is not much in them apart from the IGBT, a couple of transformers, a big capacitor and a PCB. I already know it is not the PCB as the new one I bought did the same so I am starting to think it is just a loose or dirty connection that is heating up and increasing the resistance. Once the Jasic is working I may have a poke around and see if anything is loose or I may just sell it off cheapish and let the new owner either work with it as is or get it fixed themselves.

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You tight ass haha.

10. Hood

No point in throwing money away Hypertherm are supposedly nice but are they 3x nicer?

earthman and DAPPH like this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You’d have to have them side by side.

I get good support from my local dealer, parts on the shelf.

I don’t really agree with Jasics whole methodology. But that’s another matter.

The machine looks solid enough, and certainly I think their support and build quality is probably better than that of Rtech or TecArc.
    5 year warranty if you have it serviced yearly.

time will tell, I’m sure you’ll put it through it’s paces and will get a good workout on a table. That’s always a true test of a machine, can it run for long periods, near or at its duty cycle.

12. henry Kadzielski Member

I would like to think that I have a few years left in me so I got the Hypertherm, is it three times better, still on the fence. It has just cost me $1000Au for a problem with (still unknown) either the air pressure regulator or the air control PCB RS485. Since it never played up at the service place, and I couldn't wait any longer for it, so I said change both, send me my original parts back and we'll see how it goes. Haven't done much cutting with it upon it's return, but it worked. Have got the order for a new emergency response punt for the local port authority, so will start cutting alli plate in about 4 weeks when the cut files arrive. Hope it all goes well, as can't accept any problems now. Workshop is in turmoil at the moment, moving equipment around for better work flows , installing overhead booms for power and air, so there is no hoses or cables to trip over and generally getting rid of stuff that is in the way:doh:.
    Still the current evolution of the plasma table still need to be fine tuned to cut out the components for the 'new' table:flame:. We must start this late next week:( or it will never happen in time. Not to mention test it to confirm it all works:doh::doh::doh:.
    Note to self BREATH,,,, BREATH,,, BREATH

13. Hood

The modified torch arrived back with me today so when I got a chance I wired up the lead I had prepared and hooked everything up. I fired the torch and it worked :)

It seemed to pierce much quicker than my TecArc did, not sure why but the TecArc always did seem to be slow in comparison to the time in the likes of the Hypertherm manual states, cutting rates were about the same.
    Anyway I digress, it all looked fine until I looked at the THC, it was saying 511v for the arc voltage so I knew that wasn't correct so I powered down and removed the cover to double check I had bridged the correct solder points for the divided voltage and they were fine.
    I put the cover back on and fired it again but this time I measured the output of the divided voltage and it seemed roughly right being 2.8v at pierce height. That would equate to 140v or so with the 50:1 divider so I thought the PCB for my THC must be faulty. I hauled the old PCB out of the TecArc and wired it up to the Jasic but it was the same, 511v, so I knew something was amiss. I then checked the polarity of the divided voltage and that is when I noticed that pin 1 which is supposed to be negative volts was actually positive and pin 2 was supposed to be positive but actually negative. I swapped the wires over on the THC PCB and the voltage shown was correct so looks like the Jasic has changed the pins around on the new plasma compared to the older one and thus the manual was wrong again.

I needed to get on with work so only had time to do a quick cut, some 6mm Aluminium cut at 2000mm/min with a 1/2 second pierce at 70 Amps and it cut nicely so I was happy enough to go and get on with work.
    Tomorrow I hope to be able to get the torch lead hooked up and routed to the table and maybe even get a chance to do some more test cuts.

14. tom2207 Member

Thats first class service , you really couldnt ask for better.

15. Hood

It shouldn't have been needed but as said Covid and techs (and others) being furloughed seems to have been the main cause so I can't moan too much. The backup from Andy however has been first class so that has certainly made me feel like they will stand by their products and help when needed.

16. Hood

Got a reply from Andy to my email sent yesterday, seems the techs also noted that the pins were erse for tit on the divided voltage utput but they hadn't told him. The manual is now updated to show things correctly.
    Andy also said they will be getting Jasic to alter the pins on the other plugs to incorporate the torch safety circuit, I presume that to mean there will be no need for torch alterations and no flying lead coming out of the machine torches.
    Now off to route the lead of the torch on the plasma before I have to get some work done seeing as all the boats are at sea and I will get a few hours of peace (maybe ;) ):D

17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Hood, what gas do you use with plasma for aluminium? It makes a really messy looking cut with just air on my set, but I'm not sure if that's me, the torch, or asking it to cut too much too fast... doesn't leave much dross if any, though.

18. Hood

Quality Scottish air :)

The edges are sort of fuzzy but a light, single pass with the flap disc smooths them out.
    Here is the one I did on the Jasic yesterday.

ScreenHunter 46.jpg

Munkul likes this.
  19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Moisture in your air?

20. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Probably. I don't bother with any fancy moisture traps, I don't do enough plasma cutting to make it worthwhile. Just a filter at compressor and the filterset on the back of the plasma set.

Any time I've cut alloy with it its left fuzzy cut edges like quite a savage chemical reaction is happening with the air (which it is, I suppose!)

Used it the other day to cut 10mm alloy chequer plate, severance cut really, but it managed it... but the fuzzy edges were extra obvious.

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements