Jaguar xjr8 rebuild

1. owas

owas Member

With the traction control off, you really have to be careful with the throttle,
    I did try flooring it and I think it stopped spinning the wheels at 40?:laughing:
    I have 100bhp less too.

fizzy likes this.
  2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Oh yes every ounce and still want more!
    Obviously not on bends. Slow in fast out is my motto.
    I am no spring chicken either but I seem to drive faster the older I get - experience I supposed.
    One thing I can't do though is just jump in a car and drive it fast - takes me a while to get used to it first.
    I found the Range Rover sport with the same engine had more brutal acceleration - from standstill anyway - obviously 4x4 gets the power down better up to say 30mph.
    I used to get quite a bit of brake fade on the XFR - would like to try the XFRs.

3. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    The car in the Morse books was supposed to be a Lancia. When the tv series filming started, they had no car but someone in the crew seen an old mk2 jag in a dealers close by, so they bought it sight-unseen. John Thaw did not like driving it as the steering was very heavy, But as the series went on more and more work was done on the old jag, until it was reasonably reliable.

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

The reason I asked was most times people say about too much power not being able to use it etc they’ve only ever had 2.0tdi company cars.

Having had 500bhp cars for a long time I can’t find my self owning something run of the mill.

Ironically I own a disco 1 v8, RAV4 mk1 2.0 petrol, a Puma with 52k, Puma with 66k a series Landy with a rare slt35 Mazda lump a defender 200 with 60k and my cossie with 520bhp

Iv only got three bikes at the moment but always have a litre that’s tuned to play with too

fizzy likes this.
  5. knighty Member

no worries I get where you're coming from... I must be getting old, I think about 250hp is great... but mush more is a waste unless you're going to drive like a tit and show off

also, loads of power takes the skill out of driving, timing gear changes just right, cornering just right etc. doesn't really matter when you have loads of power

6. stuvy

stuvy Member

You do have a point about the low power. I used to have more fun on a track day on my Aprilia rs250 than an R1.

As mentioned earlier motorway slip roads are fun. Or on an A road and some plum is doing 40 and you can breeze past safely without Risk of Will I get past or not

Gragson and Ruffian like this.
  7. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I heard the late John thaws good lady (Sheila Hancock ) being interviewed after his demise .

He loved jaguar cars , and when diagnosed terminal , still placed an order for a jag having had a couple in the garage .

Unfortunately he never got to see it .....

ronan likes this.
  8. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I cant remember who said it , but there's a racing quote by someone .... Bigger HP make you faster in a straight line , being lighter makes you faster EVERYWHERE .

:)

fizzy and zx9 like this.
  9. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I'm the opposite in braking , im fast in , nail the brakes till just off the apex and pick my line /gear out then hit the GO GO pedal . It's nicley frustrating when you meet someone who drives differently on country roads playing with respect who is faster in places your not , but you are than them ( equal knowlage of the road ahead assumed )

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  10. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

It's interesting reading about all this massive horsepower! I've never had any car with more than 150BHP but I get much enjoyment hooning around in my old Toyota 4x4 (135BHP) , Only yesterday on my way to Wickes I was looking out the passenger side window coming out of a damp roundabout......:whistle::D
    PS having about 15 turns lock to lock on the huge steering wheel is good exercise!

fizzy likes this.
  11. Ruffian Member

If you want fun I have to say "small block racing" as we call it had to be the best fun.

3 or so mates with all sub 1.4litre cars having a bash up some b roads very stupid a clock stuff.

1.2 Corsa used to love the limiters all night long. Used to smile more in that than my r32 golf.

I always wanted a supercharger though, just the sound of it.

fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    One of the best fun cars I have ever had is my alfa 75 twin spark - lovely balance and a real drivers car - only 160bhp but great fun!

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Best fun car I've owned has to be the Fiesta St3....yes I can hear you all laughing....but 200bhp of real world usable power is a load of fun in a car that small.

I had a big Audi on my rear bumper on a sweeping bend...he should have known better I think. To make life difficult I progressively accelerated round the whole bend....half way around he was gone...electric trickery is great but doesn't change the fundamental laws of physics :-)

Ended up being a choice between the ST3 and my ancient MR2...decided the MR2 was actually more fun because it was such a handful that skill was needed even at modest speeds!

14. RWD3M Member

Hmm...

For me, probably the old Rover SD1 I had from 1987 - 2005. I remember well a trip down to Cornwall with a mate who had Cosworth Scorpio and both of us flying past Golf GTi's and the like. Oh, we were both towing sizeable caravans too!

To be fair, it was a Vitesse, but enormous fun nonetheless.

15. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Thirsty though i would imagine ?

16. RWD3M Member

Oh yes! I doubt either of us achieved 20 mpg.

Having said that, I could manage 32 - 33mpg on a long motorway run, though not with a van on the back!

I did use it to commute to work for a short period and 22 - 24mpg was more the norm. Huge fun though! :)

ronan likes this.
  17. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Sd1’s ... My old man had one when I was 10 , I can still remember the reg though it will be long in the crusher (EHF 912 Y) , it was a 2.6 s .... not the soughter after
    3.5 but a beast in itself at 10 but I do rem him ‘justifying it as it does 25 ish ‘ .

I rem being in the back when my dad invited my uncle to drive it one day and and he accepted ... once a stretch of open road arrived with an over-taking opportunity he said plant your foot and hold it , it went from cruising at 35/40 To I do know what but it felt good !!!

Great engine left down by brakes ect , sorry for a trip down memory lane

Malc

slim_boy_fat and ronan like this.
  18. owas

owas Member

I haven't forgotten this, it's being moved in to my friends garage next week to make a start on getting it all back together again.

I seem to have lost my ability to work outside :dontknow:

slim_boy_fat, stuvy and ronan like this.
  19. owas

owas Member

All lined up perfectly , welding tomorrow:)

• IMG-20190412-WA0000.jpg
    jenki, Dcal, eternal optimist and 4 others like this.
  20. owas

owas Member

All welded in :D

• IMG_20190413_172245.jpg
Advertisements