Jaguar xjr8 rebuild

1. owas

owas Member

Blue ;)
    I find its usually the older lot that it gets look off,
    The young ones in thier BMW's ect don't have any idea what it is, especially when they try a dodgey manoeuvre to get Infront of you in the wrong lane and don't know why I'm gone before they've had a chance to move :D:laughing:

Kayos, Parm, dobbslc and 2 others like this.
  2. droopsnoot

droopsnoot Member

I've got one like that, and the more traditional one, either is useful depending on the panel. The one you've bought will be better on a curved panel because the rollers will follow it, where a traditional one will want to flatten the panel while it crimps the step. If you wanted to put a step right up against a fold, though, the roller one will stop a bit away because of the shape of it, so you'd have to put the step in before the fold.

I made a bracket for mine that allows me to hold it in a vice and push / pull the panel through, rather than holding the panel and moving the tool, though that probably wouldn't suit the panel you have.

When you're putting an edge on, take into account bits like the part where the rubber seal goes, maybe try to do that bit as a butt weld so the panel isn't too thick for the seal to fit over it.

owas likes this.
  3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I haven't driven the older one but I had an XFR 5L supercharged for a while - 510bhp. Quite amusing when an idiot in an Audi S3 tried to pass me approaching a lane closure. He thought 300bhp was a lot!

indy4x, dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  4. stuvy

stuvy Member

Having owned a c63 the jag is the better car

Parm and fizzy like this.
  5. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Try 750 BHP in a Volvo truck with 8 meter empty skeleton trailer on (containers) .... I may be limited to 56 BUT i can get there rather quickly at times .... boy racer coming into road works springs to mind ... 30 mph signs , 4 lanes to 1 and he decides he’s got enough pony’s to squirt in front .... I’ve played this game many times before and think ohh no I don’t think so , I-shift box into manual and down two and the truck went from 28-50 without a gear change and the sudden onset of cones was a point in his sudden braking im sure .

Moral of the story is I guess , if your going to naff me off , make sure you do it and naff off ! Lol

indy4x, stuvy, dobbslc and 3 others like this.
  6. owas

owas Member

Its not massively quick by todays standards, 0-60mph is just over 5 seconds, I think it's the 500nm of torque that makes it feel effortless though?

I hate hearing little engines revving their nuts off :(

indy4x likes this.
  7. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

You would be surprised.

There was a youtube video from a German car mag with a load of supercars - the jag was beating all of them in real world acceleration.

Found this one

Easily beats the Lambo.

But the one I will always remember - the TVR Cerbera V a load of supercars - left them for dead.

pressbrake1, 8ob, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  8. knighty Member

4.4sec according to google?

it must be quite heavy, iirc I'm 4.6sec with my xjr

they're both aluminium so I thought they'd be about the same...

EDIT: googled it, the xfr is only 50kg heavier

tbh I bought the ejr for the power... but it's a waste of time 99.99% of the time, I was just as happy with the power of the 270hp s type I had before it (car was crap, but power was fine) tbh... I was happiest with the ~200hp xj I had before either of them

ride quality > power

pressbrake1 likes this.
  9. owas

owas Member

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that post, I meant the steel body xj I have, it's close to 2 tonne :)

10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I loved the power of the xfr v8 and used all of it. Not often I pray for a light to turn red!
    To be honest though the xf diesel sport was easier to live with. More refined and still quick enough to beat every boy racer. Obviously better at the pumps as well.

11. mechman Member

Bit of a tangent but years ago I scrapped a twin wheeled transit it had a jag engine etc it, the only that never sold was the gear.

stuvy likes this.
  12. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    The new jags maybe fast and all that, but they are not a patch on the old stuff when it comes to looks and class. Me lud, i rest my case.

[​IMG]

13. knighty Member

how much and how often can you really use it tho, there's not enough traction to put down 500h[ from a stop... and when you are pushing it you're up over 100 in seconds (10 seconds ish?)

it's not often roads are empty enough for that, and the days of being able to shoot along the motorway at 100+ without being stopped are long gone

there's too many cameras now, and it seams like there's no cops investigating crime, they're all too busy looking for people speeding :-(

pressbrake1, indy4x and dobbslc like this.
  14. knighty Member

I love the look of those :-o

ronan likes this.
  15. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Every day. Motorway slip roads etc. Bear it in mind I live in the middle of nowhere and tend to work silly hours so no rush hour. Even at busy times some of our roads in West or Mid Wales can be very quiet.

ronan likes this.
  16. owas

owas Member

I sometimes finish at 3am, about 12/13 miles of clear roads :D

stuvy and fizzy like this.
  17. mechman Member

I believe the jag in inspector Morse was pushed onto set more than it was drove, maybe a rogue one don't know.:dontknow:

18. stuvy

stuvy Member

Just playing devils advocate here, what’s the fastest thing you’ve owned Knighty?

19. knighty Member

m3 when I was young
    the xjr I have now is 480hp/1800kg (4.4sec to 60 at the stock 400hp)
    had another xjr before this
    v8 s type before that
    volvo t5 in the middle there somewhere

lots of other cars, but those are probably the quickest I've owned

I've driven/used quite a few fast cars for an extended time (owned by family, borrowed to play with) erm... modern m5, s-typeR, DB9, porsche carrera GT, s class amg merc (can't remember the proper name for it)

I'm definitely no boy racer, but no one will accuse me of going slow

20. knighty Member

xfr is about the same performance as my xjr.... you might be putting your floor down... but are you actually putting your foot on the floor and using everything it has to give?.... you can't floor it from a stop, or round a bend etc.. (not without the traction control etc. pulling the power right back)

I'm not saying the power isn't great... I'm just saying (maybe I'm getting old) I hardly every use all the power so might as well have something a bit slower

Advertisements