Jaguar xjr8 rebuild

1. owas

owas Member

Thought I'd start a thread as i learnt it keeps me motivated to keep going like the disco pick up.

The car is a 1997 (the x308 was from 98 so I'm not sure how that works!) XJR with the 4.0 supercharged V8, makes around 370bhp so they're bloody quick for a 20 year old car :D

This one has 110k miles on, engine runs perfect but I need to get the rocker cover off to check what tensioners have been fitted, I'll be amazed if the plastic ones have made it this long.

The first port of call is to fix the crash damage from the PO reversing into a concrete post.

The latch portion has been cut out of a scrap car and will be welded in.

Found filler all around the left light hole so that is also going to be cut out of the scrap car and welded in.

Will be making a start on that this Saturday once I've dug the welder out the workshop.

The plan of action is to first fix the crash damage, clean, treat and paint the inside of the boot and all the cavities.

Then move on the to dropping the rear subframe, refurbishing that along with cleaning all the factory underseal off to retreat.

Chose the best time of the year to start :rolleyes:

• PicsArt_10-15-08.12.44.jpg
    • IMG_20181013_173911.jpg
    • IMG_20181020_184357.jpg
    • IMG_20181021_142058.jpg
    • IMG_20181022_160839.jpg
    fizzy, 8ob, daleyd and 4 others like this.
  2. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Will be following with interest.

Had one of these a few years back. Awesome car

fizzy likes this.
  3. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Lovely looking cars, but i always assumed they would be rot boxes like the old British Leyland Jags. With a 4.0L engine i take it they are mega thirsty ?

4. knighty Member

I do quite like Jags, onto my 4th now, it's an XJR too :-)

fizzy likes this.
  5. MG David Member

Warwick UK
    Ronan, I think you will find there are quite a few 20 year old Jags about these days which probably answers the question about rot and durability. Thirst depends on what you are used to. I had the X350 generation of XJR and it would do 30 mpg on a long run and 25 mpg knocking around locally. Not bad for a 400 bhp car.

6. knighty Member

my first jag was 18 years old when I got it (bought on ebay from my hospital bed while on a morphine drip, crushed left wrist so needed an automatic!)

it was spotless and rot free

fizzy, Dieselkid 63, Ruffian and 3 others like this.
  7. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

My first Car too was a Jag. Series 3 with 4.2 engine. Silky smooth

8. CompoSimmonite Member

Loved my S2 XJ6 3.4. Hated the XJ40 2.9 that replaced it.

Parm likes this.
  9. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Always wanted a mk1, mk 2 or mk x. One day when i click with the lottery.

10. owas

owas Member

The x350 is a much better car tbh,
    More space, faster, better econamy, doesn't really rust .. but I just couldn't get over the looks :laughing:

Small progress, it came with a new keyfob that didn't work.
    Swapped out the security module, programmed it and all good :D
    Just gotta work out why the memory seats and power fold mirrors don't work.
    The always broken cup holder works though :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. owas

owas Member

Theyve chopped out more then I actually needed to repair it but as it's been previously repaird I might as well chop the lot on the left side,

Before I start hacking into it, anyone have any tips on getting the two to perfectly line up?
    The cheap disks from Screwfix finally have a use :D

• IMG_20181105_122334.jpg
    • IMG_20181105_123208.jpg
    8ob likes this.
  12. Al237 Member

Cheshire UK
    Had series 3 Sovereign and X300 Sovereign in the past currently have X308 sport - great cars and not significantly prone to rot. Also have a 2006 BMW X5 which is far less reliable than any of the Jags I have owned!!

pressbrake1 and ronan like this.
  13. owas

owas Member

I was originally going to try and see if I could drill the spot welds out but it's far to rotten around the area of the previous repair so it all had to go.
    Going to take a fair bit of fettling to get a good fit!:vsad:

• IMG_20181105_155041.jpg
    • IMG_20181105_154952.jpg
  14. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

You may as well extend that so you can fit the hot tub in there!

Interested to see the result!

Ruffian likes this.
  15. owas

owas Member

Or shorten it and make it a bobtail Jag?:D

It's all just a single skin other than the chassis box section and the rear cross member so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Might be easier to do it in two parts though? Make sure the boot latch is in exactly the right position then fettle the rest to fit :dontknow:

Just waiting on a semi dry day to get going again.

16. owas

owas Member

Sorry for the lack of progress, don't remember the last day we've had without rain!

Had a suggestion to use a joggler to create an overlap and spot weld the 'new' panel in,
    I've never used one before, cut a little oversize and create a lip?

17. RWD3M Member

Hi Owas,

Firstly, glad to see what you are doing. My first Jaguar was an X Type (don't be rude!) which I recently replaced with an XE but have always liked that iteration of the XJ.

On the subject of skin repairs, I've had a fair bit of experience of the technique you mention but care will be needed especially on curved panels, to avoid excessive distortion. The act of joggling can cause this to an extent, depending on the joggling tool used, as can the subsequent welding. Nevertheless, I still feel it will ultimately give the better result in the long run.

You do indeed cut the repair section over size, but do make some test pieces to get a feel for just how 'oversize' you need to make it.

As an alternative to joggling, particularly on any curved panels, you may wish to consider making a butt strap repair. this will give a similar result but should avoid the distortion created by the joggling tool.

Good luck with the restoration and please post lots of pictures!

Regards,

Richard.

owas likes this.
  18. owas

owas Member

19. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv got an amorok and only get 400 miles to £90 of fuel and took my bosses new Vw van to Enfield and back yesterday averaged 29mpg and I didn’t do more than 75 on the m25! Roll on the 3.2 ranger I’m getting

20. fizzy Member

uk
    I was in Marbella about 3 years ago - loads of supercars - the home of the jet set brigade - but the car that got the most attention was a black Jag like yours - definitely had gangster written all over it though!

ronan and stuvy like this.
Advertisements