It's coming along now...

1. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    We've been busy over the BH weekend! Our new workshop, that is, myself, brother and cousin's, has went from this:
    2019-08-19 21.09.58.jpg

...To this:
    2019-08-26 20.51.52.jpg

The lighting went from 4 off 80W conventional floods with about half a candlepower, to 12 off 50w LED floods, they are actually almost TOO bright, the single centre row is enough for most work! The pictures don't really do it justice, it's literally night and day.

jsf55, sparkysy, andy_v and 9 others like this.
  2. Pete.

Pete. Member

Much brighter.

I would move the guilly out and up towards the door leaving room for scrap bins and work tables between it and the bending brake, or you'll be loath to clean up behind it and get the hump from fighting a jumble of sheet off-cuts jammed against the wall when you do.

Yamhon and Munkul like this.
  3. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I'd like to do that Pete, but it's gonna be quite a squeeze for all our gear in there anyways, and leave enough room for a combine or similarly big jobs to fit in... My workbenches will go along the back wall, Jig table in front of the brake, and steel racks will go along the RHS wall along with the bandsaw. Pillar drills, grinders carrying on the RHS wall, and brother's work benches and tables on the front wall (behind where the pics were taken). I have a 2 post lift to go in somewhere, but unsure as to final position, it may actually get sold instead. There will be a mezzanine built in the back wall bay too, over the top of the brake and my gear, and the stairs... not 100% sure where they'll fit in without being awkward :ashamed: but we have enough options to get away with positioning most stuff without snookering ourselves down the line.
    The guillotine and brake may well get moved again anyways, lol. They won't see daily use unless I go full-time.

4. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Can you give us a link to the LED lights please?

ukracer likes this.
  5. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Looking great. Hope to have a little place I can evolve over time myself one day. A wood worker I follow on YouTube called Matt Estlea did a bit of a series on renovating his new workshop and I loved every minute of it, seeing everything evolve and come together.

Can't wait to see more!

fizzy likes this.
  6. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

If you wanted more access to clean the back of the brake area up and there isn't the room to move the brake forward, would adding some type of door directly behind the brake be possible, just for the purpose of gaining access to a scrap bin that you could wheel in and out... just an idea that popped into my head.

7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    There's plenty enough room behind the guillotine and pressbrake for everything, they aren't hard up against the wall like it maybe looks in the pics. Probably 2m off the wall from cutting/folding edges, with plenty walking-past room. It's a non-issue.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4653724-50w-led-floodlight-black

We have some at work, been up for a few years already, and they are very cheap for the amount of light they put out, so we bought a load of them. Already planning to buy more of them for the cow sheds.

arther dailey, Turbo and Yamhon like this.
  8. snoozer

snoozer Member

9. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    [​IMG]

Got my brother's stuff all in over the weekend, now at least we can do some maintenance work in here. In the corner with the Pollard MT2 drill, will also make space for my Arboga MT3 drill and my Jancy belt grinder when I eventually get my stuff in. Thus, you cut the steel, de-burr it and drill it all in the same space.

Next thing to move will probably be the compressor and lines, which will require a bit of work... with all the electrical outlets to rewire still, I'm tempted to order a load of cable tray and route the 240v, 415v and compressed air all on the same tray.

The plans for the mezzanine are coming along so should be ordering steel for it in the next week or so.

andy_v, anto44, barking mat and 7 others like this.
  10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Mezzanine outer beams fitted at the weekend

[​IMG]

fixerupper, indy4x, andy_v and 6 others like this.
  11. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Started making stair treads at the weekend. I wanted good wide ones, and they aren't the cheapest things to buy at 1m wide, so we bought a sheet of 3mm durbar, and used some of our stock of flat bar and pipe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still got the sides and rear reinforcement to weld on for nearly all of them, should get those rattled off tonight. The Miller XMT is performing superbly as ever, and the jig table makes this sort of repetitive work a breeze. For once in my life I managed to follow my own advice and didn't over-weld something... just marked out symmetrical 50mm stitches.

indy4x, andy_v, dobbslc and 4 others like this.
  12. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Finished these last night

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

indy4x, barking mat, snoozer and 2 others like this.
  13. anto Forum Supporter

Would you not have bent the durbar on the press for the 2 risers part of the step like a Z profile?
    Then just mounted on the stair "frame".
    Interested to see the finished product :thumbup:

Morrisman likes this.
  14. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Yes, this would definitely have been the way to go. Unfortunately my press tooling is really designed for 2mm max, 3mm at a push... and 3mm+raised pattern durbar would have ruined the tooling, I feel.
    I want some bigger V tooling at some point, in which case like you say, a Z profile would have been cheap, easy and effective.

anto likes this.
  15. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Bit of slow progress... moved the machines around, finished the stairs. Obviously not very useful til the flooring is in, though :laughing: and we're paying for rewiring the entire shop atm so funds are tight. The aim is to get the flooring materials paid for and work started before Christmas.

[​IMG]

16. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    pulled the trigger on flooring wood on Friday. Got this far on saturday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be honest, I hadn't realised HOW MUCH WORK is in fitting these joists! They aren't even nailed in the hangers yet, and the very far end steel stringer is still to drill.

gaz1, Burdekin, MBB and 7 others like this.
  17. AndersK Member

Looking great :thumbup:

You know there are special screws for those shoes, right? Faster than using nails and saves your fingers too.
    Don't ask about fingers.... :whistle:

Munkul likes this.
  18. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Looking very nice ...that set of treads is well tidy ...

19. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Positive placement nailer :whistle:

20. AndersK Member

Yeah, but a bit pricy if you're not a builder.

Advertisements