Help finding post of milling machine

1. Ianb Member

Sounds a bargain, don't know much about mills but am I correct in thinking the quill is the bit above the chuck that moves the chuck up and down, bit like what pillar drills have? So is it just a case of raising/lowering the table?

are Ajax a similar size to the Marlow and Harrison or are they larger?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ajax-Mil...trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219&redirect=mobile

This looks a nice machine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tom-Seni...trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&redirect=mobile

How do any of these 'smaller' milling machines compare?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

Both nice - the Marlow is a bit smaller than those.
    And yes you just move the knee up and down - fine for most milling but for drilling there is no feel.

How about this if you are on a tight budget?

If I hadn't just bought the Marlow I would be very tempted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archdale-Milling-Machine/183514768755?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=62c583b275bf46919f0f1b35e57436cd&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=202489068355&itm=183514768755&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:7153d532-e12c-11e8-b1bd-74dbd180e4c2|parentrq:e53b55b91660add88b531b02fffb7aaa|iid:1

3. Ianb Member

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

5. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

Over £2000!!!
    I told you small mills go for silly money! You could get a good Bridgeport for less - or a nice Harrison.
    R8 tends to be Bridgeport. That mill was probably a morse taper. Most people go for an ER32 Chinese collet chuck - mine was £67 with 18 collets.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. vwmark

vwmark Member

I paid £180 for my Elliot Pallas V1.
    Ebay is the place. Size puts people off and mine was a lot more difficult to move than expected but ingenuity and a few friends help.
    20180915_115904.jpg

7. T0rnado69

T0rnado69 DIY nut !!

8. Ianb Member

I saw that blue one, seems like its nicely sorted.

fizzy likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

I did too, but am struggling to get the right M10 TPI details so that I can make a drawbar. 'Standard' M10 threaded rod won't screw in, nor will M10 fine1.00 rod. I'm in contact with Banggood but having difficulty explaining, what with language differences.....:(

I'm beginning to wonder if I was sent an Imperial chuck in error. What thread is in yours, Vince?

10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

7/16 unc maybe.

That's what my collets are.

11. slim_boy_fat

My metric collects [bought separately ex eBay] fit though. :dontknow:

12. eLuSiVeMiTe

My metric collets have unc drawbar.

Do you mean your metric collets fit your existing drawbar?

13. slim_boy_fat

My metric collets fit the chuck, but I want to make a drawbar. M10 rod won't fit the end of the MT2 taper.

14. eLuSiVeMiTe

Ah I see your confusion. My collets fit direct to spindle and drawbar is threaded 7/16 unc a common thread for them.

Worth a try. Very close to m10

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. slim_boy_fat

I've put it to BG that I might have got the wrong chuck :rolleyes: Mine was advertised as taking an M10 for a drawbar, ain't so......:(

16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Standard M12 on mine MT3.
    I suspect also 7/16th possibly - find/buy a bolt and find out.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. Ianb Member

Can someone just clarify for me, if you have say an r8 mill, you then get an er32 collet chuck which has r8 on one end to fit into the mill and then you put the milling tool in the appropriate size collet gripped bythe er32 chuck? If that makes sense? Or have i got it all wrong?

Would the other option be to buy specific tooling to fit the MT3, r8 etc mill spindle?

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  18. eLuSiVeMiTe

Correct.
    Or buy individual r8 collets to fit in the spindle taper. Useful on machines with low headroom

19. Ianb Member

Great, thanks, this is all new to me, but its good to learn what's what.

I have seen mention of r8 spindles being preferential to Mt2/3? as they are easier to remove, but how you guys do it with the collet chuck it would not matter as you wouldnt need to remove it each time you changed the milling tool?

Is the drawbar a threaded rod to pull the collet into the chuck of the machine, and some collet chucks use large nuts over the end of the collet to pinch it?

20. eLuSiVeMiTe

Draw bar is fed through the top of the spindle nland threads into the taper of the tooling. (Chuck collet boring head etc) to pull it In tight and stop lateral forces pulling it out during cutting.

Takes 30 seconds fo me to change from a collet to chuck. Probably no slower that a er collet chuck.
    Personal preferance I suppose.
    Less stick out from the spindle can only be a good thing though.

Advertisements