Help finding post of milling machine

1. Ianb Member

This may seem a bit vague/odd, but a few weeks ago I saw a post by a member here who happened to put up a picture of their milling machine, I cant refind it. My. Memory of it is kind of poor, but it was smaller than a Bridgeport, maybe 2/3rds or half the size, possible pedestal or bench mounted, it was green, maybe sage green and it was fairly old but in great condition.

Sorry its all abit vague but if anyone has any ideas please let me know as I would really like to find out more about them.

2. Elliott perhaps, or my Kunming mill?
    [​IMG]

fizzy likes this.
  3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Not green but lighting poor

[​IMG]

4. Ianb Member

No but thanks, it was very similar colour to the one Wendelspanswick posted.

What make is that one fizzy?

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

6. Ianb Member

I am not sure I even remember what it looks like now, but I want to say it looks like this

• Clausing 8520 Vert Mill (945219) _ Vertical Mills For Sale ___.jpg
  7. Ianb Member

Pretty sure the table wound up and down rather than the head moving.

8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Assume it was mine?

mill 1.jpg mill 2.jpg

Parm and gaz1 like this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Marlow
    Very nice machine very happy with it. A real bargain cheaper than most bench ones.

11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
  12. Ianb Member

I am sure it is Burdekin's, can you tell me what make/model it is? Looks bigger than I thought and not much like the picture I posted.

Gaz1 - thanks for link I will have a read though, I like the yellow one, just the sort of thing I need (want).

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It's a Harrison Universal. Very well built machine and a quality bit of kit. Would hate to think what a new machine made this well would cost.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonmiller/

http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonmiller/page2.html

14. Ianb Member

Thanks, can I ask where you find machines like this? And what is the sort of price for a good machine?

15. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Burdekin likes this.
  16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Smaller mills go for silly money.
    The one I bought is a good size for home use if you have a garage or large shed.
    I look on Ebay for buyer collects - then ship it through a pallet network. You have to watch on bigger machines though.
    I have been looking a long time - picked the Marlow up for less than £400 and it is mint!

Burdekin likes this.
  17. Ianb Member

Is the Marlow the mill you posted the photo of?

18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I got mine off of eBay. It looked spot on and was a universal so I contacted the guy to see if he would take an offer, he did so I drove down to England to collect. I got lucky with the milling machine, it's not done much work and is in lovely condition. I've also seen machine resellers with them but mainly just the horizontal, go for the universal if you can. I paid about £1k a few years ago now and is worth every penny. Personally don't know how much they are worth now but for example my lathe now sells for about 3 times what I paid for it. Buy a quality older machine in good condition and it will at least hold it's price.

Dieselkid 63, fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

It is so nicely made, when I bought it I did a lot of looking and admiring.

fizzy likes this.
  20. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Yes that is correct - no quill which is a drawback but it does make a smaller machine a lot more rigid.
    I am lucky I have 3 phase but changing motors or using a phase converter is an option.

Advertisements