Harrison M300

1. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Isthat 4hp per channel. My alen bradley vfd is, takes an age to wind up max rpm. I’ve got a 7.5hp to cure that:D

2. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I've just let one into the back of the cabinet. Easy enough to do.

IMG_6937[1570].jpg

cr500dom, Brad93, Milkybars and 2 others like this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Blimey why so much wiring and are those contractors?

very neat.

4. Welderpaul

Don't you start too;):laughing:

indy4x, Hopefuldave and Milkybars like this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Haha

i assume the contractors are for the limit switches/e stop if a cover is opened.

how does that work with the vfd? That’s always confused me, makes e stops complicated.

interested as my Harrison 140 had all the e stops and limit switches wired in sequence and one of them was bad but I couldn’t tell which. It needs rewiring really and I may put a VFD in there. I’ve got three phase already though so it would only be for slow speeds and the jog function really.

indy4x likes this.
  6. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Mine's full of contactors*, and a VFD...

If you're going to run the motor below about 30 Hz or so it's worth fitting an external fan for cooling, one of the contactors is for that - the ABB VFD I use (and many others) can have one of its relay outputs set to open/close with a "supervisory frequency", mine's set to OPEN above it when the motor's own fan is moving enough air, so it cools when stopped or running slowly. Reminds me to switch off, too :)

A plus with the VFD is the braking/quick-reverse function, handy for tapping etc. - I added some hefty braking resistors from a nice Chinese gent on EvilBay.

Dave H. (the other one)

* Main incoming power (with big red mushroom labelled "PANIC" by the door); incoming power to lathe, power to spindle VFD; power to suds VFD; power to motor fan; power to low-voltage worklight; pair of small relays for suds "logic" flip-flop (suds button push on - push off); accessory feed...

indy4x and Brad93 like this.
  7. Agroshield Member

You can continue to have them in series, but bring all the wires to a common point and then it is easy to test which one in the chain is bad. More wiring but much simpler troubleshooting.

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

snap that up as well its got the gearbox :laughing:

9. daedalusminos Member

Blimey that was 5mm thick steel - 2 slitting discs later and I can get on with the actual wiring

10. Welderpaul

Yep!

11. Paul in Wiltshire Member

Any chance you could share the 3D model of the bellows? Only for my own use. I was going to knock up a model based on the drawing of the original on the Harrison group, but why reinvent the wheel? I have a 3D printer, what TPU did you use?

I currently have a steering gaiter in there, which works, but can some times spring the lever back to engagement, not ideal when you disengage near the chuck.

12. daedalusminos Member

Got the Huanyang VFD wired up how I wanted - spindle brake for apron lever, coasting for foot brake. Took a little ingenuity with the VFD settings/features but seems to be working fine...fine that is after finding I was missing a VFD feature.

Video here explaining all.

IMG_20200604_171216.jpg

cr500dom, Farside, JonE and 4 others like this.
  13. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Neat installation. Have you had it running at 2500rpm a few times yet:sheep:

14. daedalusminos Member

Yes no problem at 2500 (after I'd changed/tensioned the belts) though the braking (actually controlled deceleration) struggles and results in an over voltage error on the VFD - could be resolved by lengthening the ramp down or fitting a brake resistor.

15. daedalusminos Member

I eventually got round to documenting my Huanyang VFD install featuring spindle brake. Photos of the install posted previously, schematic attached with plenty of notes and VFD parameter settings.

Anyone considering this install should verify their VFD open collector outputs function per the video previously posted.

Milkybars likes this.
  16. daedalusminos Member

Nice little addition to the M300, a new old stock boxed Cutler Hammer 3 arm Lo-Vo Lite circa 1978 I believe.

IMG_20201001_174856.jpg
    IMG_20201001_175126.jpg

cr500dom, Ton-up, galooph and 6 others like this.
  17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s mint. Identical to mine on the Harrison

18. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

19. daedalusminos Member

Lucky find at a local garage sale.

cr500dom, scottmk1 and Hopefuldave like this.
  20. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

The vfd has transformed my l5, especially when metric screwcutting.

cr500dom, Brad93 and Hopefuldave like this.
Advertisements