Harrison Horizontal/Vertical Mill Restoration

1. Carl Wilson Member

Yes Argo I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Especially the fact that the nut is one of the causes of the bending. I agree with the idea of making a handle that will limit the torque that can be applied.

I think when Harrison designed the lock they assumed that users would be imbued with a modicum of engineering "feel" and would tighten it sympathetically. Clearly that has not been the case throughout the life of the machine.

I'm going to be looking to see if there is scope for the dimensions to be subtly increased to make the part stronger, too.

Thanks for a very useful and thought provoking post.

slim_boy_fat and Milkybars like this.
  2. Carl Wilson Member

Got back going with the project today. I started making the adaptors for the lubrication nipple repair on the saddle.

IMG-20200502-WA0015.jpeg

Here is the first one off the lathe.

IMG-20200502-WA0017.jpeg

Here's how they will fit. Pressed and Loctited into the saddle where the old nipples came out. I've yet to cross drill and tap on one face, but when I do a nipple will be threaded in.

IMG-20200502-WA0019.jpeg

3. Carl Wilson Member

Three peas in a pod.

IMG-20200502-WA0024.jpeg

slim_boy_fat and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  4. Carl Wilson Member

I drilled and tapped the adaptors to accept the nipples today. The nipple thread was 27 tpi which on a 1/4 inch diameter means gas thread.

I don't have anything that can cut this so after careful consideration I used 1/4-28 UNF. The nipples threaded in nicely and I secured them with Loctite.

IMG-20200503-WA0000.jpeg

I centre found the first one using the wiggler then I used my clock stand as a stop for the other two parts.

IMG-20200503-WA0004.jpeg

Here is one of the finished items.

IMG-20200503-WA0006.jpeg

And how they will look fitted to the saddle.

IMG-20200503-WA0008.jpeg

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. Carl Wilson Member

Well after a week at home I have only gone and volunteered to go back on the ship. Like the tit I so clearly am.

So all you're going to get here now for the next few weeks is idle speculation and guff about vfd's. So actually not that much different.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Carl Wilson Member

IMG-20200613-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20200613-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20200613-WA0003.jpeg

Tons of mind numbing cleaning and wire wheeling on the table and saddle. Don't really want to talk about it. Will to live slipping away. Two pictures of the solvent because I couldn't believe how filthy it was.

• IMG-20200613-WA0005.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. Mark Davison Member

What's in the second picture? I dont recall seeing one of those on mine?

8. Carl Wilson Member

The second picture is the table coolant drain fitting. Under several layers of God awful hammerite and Christ only knows what else, it turned out to be a very nice brass casting.

9. Carl Wilson Member

Some reassembly of the saddle done. Put the leadscrew nut on. I also fitted the three lubrication nipples I made. I Loctited these in with AA403. This comes in three parts - a pre-cleaner (acetone) an activator and the adhesive itself.

The three nipples are now in and solid. I'm also pleased to report that after pulling through all the lubrication runs with pipe cleaners and rifle brushes, I've finally got all of the old grease out of everything. That has enabled me to refit all the BSP plugs that were used to blank off the oil drillings.

IMG-20200628-WA0003.jpeg

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'd have thought your time in the RAF would have taught you never to do that. :scared: :D

daleyd likes this.
  11. Carl Wilson Member

I made a mistake in post 249 above and it's now too late to edit. The Loctite I used us called AA307. The procedure for using it is as I described.

12. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

A mod could do it for you.

13. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

But a rocker couldn’t

Maker, barking mat, RobCox and 2 others like this.
  14. Carl Wilson Member

Very good!

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  15. Carl Wilson Member

DSC_0033.JPG

There's one of these in there. I just have to get it out.

Milkybars likes this.
  16. Mark Davison Member

What material did you opt for in the end?

17. Carl Wilson Member

It is 316 stainless steel.

Advertisements