Harrison Horizontal/Vertical Mill Restoration

1. Carl Wilson Member

Hello All,

It is time to start a thread to document the restoration of my Harrison horizontal/vertical milling machine.

Most of you will have already seen some pictures of it and read the sorry tale of woe of it's journey to get to me in my thread "EBay-tastic".

Well, this is not going to be a particularly salubrious first post, but you have to start somewhere.

Anyway, here is a picture of the VFD I've bought to run the main motor on the mill. It's a Delta 1.5kW unit.

IMG-20180604-WA0000.jpeg

R-D-R, optima21, Hopefuldave and 2 others like this.
  2. Carl Wilson Member

As I've said elsewhere, I'm concentrating on getting my lathe VFD conversion finished before starting on the mill in earnest.

That said, yesterday my youngest son and I spent a pleasant hour de paneling the machine.

We removed the louvred covers surrounding the coolant tank in the base of the machine. As well as the clamp mounted coolant pump, this area is also home to the flange mounted main motor.

Removing the lower front panel revealed the switchgear controlling the main motor, feed motor and the coolant pump.

DSC_1300.JPG

Having withdrawn the cables for the coolant pump, we removed it, complete with its mounting clamp. It was absolutely manky with congealed coolant and general gunk.

DSC_1297.JPG

The interior was accessed to check the windings. They were in good health and the megger pronounced the insulation to be sound.

DSC_1298.JPG

The inside of the base that forms the coolant tank was also manky, just like the pump itself. At first glance the main motor looks alright, the next job is to take it out and test it for continuity and insulation. DSC_1302.JPG

There must be 50 years worth of accumulated coolant residue, tramp oil and swarf in there.

There is a lot of general dirt both inside and outside the machine. That said it seems to be in good overall condition and will clean up nicely.

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That's a good starting job for your apprentice - "Clean that lot out, son" :laughing:

Looking forward to the updates/progress reports on this.:thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. Carl Wilson Member

It's a nice idea to get my "apprentice" to clean out the coolant tank. However he is just coming up to three years old! He can handle a 1/4 drive air ratchet with a bit of help from Dad. Chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents are a bit advanced for him at the moment.

He loves to be in the workshop though, and he is learning all the time. Not just about tools, machinery and mechanical principles. Foundations are being layed for his numeracy and literacy too.

By the way, if you look carefully in the picture of the coolant pump motor connections you can see the star point.

brewdexta, slim_boy_fat and galooph like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Have you taught him to swear yet? ;) :scared: :D

6. Carl Wilson Member

To be honest I try to steer clear of it.

7. Carl Wilson Member

The lathe DRO is finished. At long last. Time to get back on with the Mill...

8. Carl Wilson Member

Finally got a chance to do some work on the mill. I'm starting by removing what will be redundant electrics. Found this in the table feed switch enclosure.

It appears that at some point the cable between the feed motor and Square D switch has been replaced with 2 core and earth.

IMG-20190713-WA0011.jpeg IMG-20190713-WA0013.jpeg

Still early days at the moment so I haven't yet decided if I will use the original switch gear to signal the Vfd inputs.

9. Carl Wilson Member

Continued removing the redundant electrics last night.

The lamp, which I intend to restore and refit, still had the spare fuses in their stowages. The transformer is 440 to 24 volt. The ratio should work to give me about 12 volts on 240 mains, which is a voltage I can work with. I may need to limit the current though.

I am hoping to get the main motor off today. Everything that I intend Re using will be megger tested.

I found a tag inside the body of the machine with the original machine number on it. I was hoping for a date, but no such luck. Last part of machine number is 68, so possibly 1968?

Here is the interior of the lamp transformer box. It's an interesting set up. The transformer sits in here and makes contact with sprung terminals. The switch works in a similar way.

DSC_2324.JPG

Here is the transformer portion.

DSC_2326.JPG

And here is the enigmatic tag. The Harrison grey colour the machine is meant to be is apparently called "School".

IMG-20190714-WA0008.jpeg

Dieselkid 63, minimutly and Parm like this.
  10. Carl Wilson Member

Removed the motor this evening. First I slackened the mounting plate bolts which allowed the plate and motor to slide upwards. This released the drive belt tension, allowing the belts to be removed.

The motor is flange mounted to the plate by four bolts. The plate is then in turn fixed to the machine frame by a further four bolts.

In order to remove the motor, I positioned a piece of wood underneath it prior to slackening the mounting hardware. The wood was secured using a clamp. Once the bolts were removed, the motor was then slid out along the wood. The photo below shows the motor about to be removed after taking off the plate.

DSC_2330.JPG

The motor is very dirty. Having said that the windings megger test well. The bearings feel smooth. I will have to strip the motor in order to Re wire the windings for connection to a Vfd.

IMG-20190715-WA0005.jpeg

I found a piece of paper pushed into the back of the motor. It turned out to be this:-

IMG-20190715-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20190715-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20190715-WA0015.jpeg

Advertisements