Discovery 2

1. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

That looks fairly simple to do the @Kayos, Off with the rocker lid and then replace the loom? Gotta say that seems an odd design to have it inside the casing. But then it's LR they saw fit to make a gearbox drain plug 32mm.

Are you running with your EGR or not?

2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Same design as VW PD Engines

The loom normally ends up failing typically

3. Kayos

Kayos Member

5 minute job, I also put some flange sealant on the gasket as my big oil leak was the half moon at the back of the rocker cover

No egr, blanked when I got it

aguycalledsteve likes this.
  4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The loom is another one of things the scaremongers make a song and dance about but they cost £25 and if you change it every couple of years there's never and issue and they take minutes to swap.

fizzy likes this.
  5. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

I think I best get mine done then. I've had mine nearly a year and when I got the disco it was status unknown.

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I've done loads of them, on a Disco there is less room at the bulkhead end than there is on a Defender but it's still no drama. Probably the most fiddly bit is getting the bolts back in that hold the black acoustic engine cover on.

If you are doing the loom it worth lifting the ECU out(behind the battery, one phillips screw) and check the red plug. With it disconnected you can hose the connector on the ECU out some brake cleaner make you keep it pointing down so it runs out. You can also do the cable, make sure you take the orange silicon seal out first or it will go squidgy. There is a white pin guide in the plug on the cable and that can be pulled out too. If there is an amount of oil in there is worth repeating a couple of times after the loom swap.

When the problem first emerged Land Rover also offered the option of cleaning the loom in one of the tech bulletins as I guess then the looms were more expensive then. The bulletin said clean the cable and seal the tops of the connectors with RTV sealant.

slim_boy_fat and aguycalledsteve like this.
  7. Kayos

Kayos Member

I found oil at the ecu end which I cleaned out and the car loom

It had a loom a couple of years ago with the 5 brand new injectors so I know it’s all good to go

I also did the fuel filter as the original one I was sent had a damaged seal

8. Kayos

Kayos Member

Power steering pump swapped this weekend, another “wow that was bad” moment

Still, I have done 25k in 10 months and the only bits that have broken have been moving parts. Can’t complain for the use and abuse it gets

9. moose Member

On ours had to replace virtually all the steering the box, pump, pipes and the link from steering column to box, while doing the pump did you check the water pump, ours I have done. Presently waiting for our TD5 to be taken away as engine is seized and a 2nd hand engine to be fitted, still the only car I have owned that I have hated so much

indy4x likes this.
  10. Kayos

Kayos Member

Got to say it’s my favourite car of all time, and knowing my car history that’s some statement

11. Kayos

Kayos Member

Few off roading pics from last time out

Gopro didn't like the heat so I'm trying to cobble some good bits together

IMG_0923.jpg IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0928.jpg IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0942.jpg IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0948.jpg

garethp likes this.
  12. Kayos

Kayos Member

13. Kayos

Kayos Member

Quick job today swapping the fan belt

I used the Land Rover approved tensioner holding tool

54E3E6FA-C9D2-4F8F-A0EF-B0E0A97DD1B1.jpeg

14. Kayos

Kayos Member

Swapped the nearside wheel bearing yesterday, I bought a pair after arriving home on the big yellow taxi but it’s started grumbling these last few days

Went on test drive and at 10mph the abs light went out, however 11mph I got the 3 amigos

Plugged into diagnostic and got “left wheel sensor erratic signal”
    Pulled it apart and fitted the old sensor, cleared the code and got the same thing

Must be the wheel in the hub, bought too long ago for the seller to be interested so another one ordered

I will keep it as a get me (or someone else) home spare

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Has it got a reluctor ring in there? I know some marques [e.g. BMW] occasionally have trouble with them.

16. Kayos

Kayos Member

Yes, cheap hubs are £60 rather than £360 for genuine and with the first one being ok I thought i’d be fine. Still 3 hubs is less than 1 genuine

I have spaced the rear sensors on a bmw before, the cv had expanded so much it was not coming out of the hub, so spacing the sensor at least got abs and tc working again

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

There was a batch of D2 hubs on the market that had the wrong number of teeth on the reluctor ring, might be one of them

Kayos and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. Kayos

Kayos Member

Audio upgrades today

Out with the old

FABDE1AC-1D05-4A44-9663-73B353CEFB7D.jpeg

Bought brand new in 2010, CDA-117Ri, first Alpine with usb iPod control so it doesn’t need an adaptor cable or module. Was my front end when I won prize for best audio

Wiring is the same, on the left is standard loom and on the right is my Alpine to Land Rover loom I made (with bits from a BMW)

AB19E108-48A7-4022-B1DC-EC4FB7EF9DB4.jpeg

New unit is a CDE-178BT, no Ai net but I’ve not used a cd changer or Alpine processor for years so won’t be missed
    749EBB59-19B0-472A-89BF-620748D5AE92.jpeg

All fitted

CB4B2C68-227C-4C89-A3C1-F2E0A8F4AFBC.jpeg

My now vintage iPod still working well

Main reason for the swap is the built in Bluetooth, I’m bored of pulling over when the phone rings

I’ve still got amps and crossovers awaiting installation but no speakers so the rest will wait

Given to me by a friend in exchange for servicing a boiler. His current car has the head unit so tightly intergrated that it will be impossible to swap it, going to use a Cleansweep or similar to upgrade the audio

19. Kayos

Kayos Member

Big service today, all oils and filters. Helped massively with a kind offer from someone. Also fitted all new bump stops and swapped the front hub so no more amigo’s

8A88EC3D-E77E-479C-812D-57F16CEBABA0.jpeg

Added a roof rack, needed a bit of chopping and changing and it needs painting next year

CA41A768-9D89-4E5E-80BE-DCB37BEB303C.jpeg

20. Kayos

Kayos Member

Little light upgrade today

6741727B-B430-4666-BC1E-FF79E2C0964D.jpeg

585926FC-D373-4372-8A3E-D1805D22FF97.jpeg

Middle 2 are spot and outers are flood

I will try them on an unlit road tomorrow night

slim_boy_fat, fizzy and Rannsachair like this.
Advertisements