Discovery 2

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

Rather than clogging up various other threads, thought I'd do this as I've a bit planned for the old girl

2002 TD5, had a brand new engine at 90k
    Was a commercial but someone fitted rear seats and belts
    Drives spot on, think the rear air suspension has been removed
    No diff lock as it's quite late, apparently the tc and abs makes up for it?

Only a couple of pics so far

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Already slotted my alpine stereo in, need to sort an annoying oil leak and order the bits for the rear windows. CB install will be very soon and a good clean up before the fun starts

Rannsachair, Beeezer and 8ob like this.
  2. 8ob

8ob Member

With a lot of help from the little fella of course :thumbup:

Bob

slim_boy_fat and Kayos like this.
  3. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

You can retrofit the linkage to make the diff lock work, mine didn't have it (originally) and it was an 03.

I'd be interested to know how many rpm it indicates at 70MPH if you get chance.

fizzy and Kayos like this.
  4. Kayos

Kayos Member

We spotted this on the way to look at some Jap stuff, he wanted this but I wanted to look at the others. I'm glad I looked because I'm not ever considering a Jap 4x4 again, ever

Anyway he was made up I bought this, he can't wait to go off Road

Apparently they stopped on 02 so I'm going to have a look if it's got the box, if not I'm not too fussed.

I rarely do 70 but may try considering it has much torque

fizzy and 8ob like this.
  5. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

it will definitely have the lt230 transfer box, just the linkage aint there. look just above the front output housing.

RPM at 50 would be ok if you prefer, mine was comfortable at 80 on the clock which was about 70 in the real world.

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Some models never had type approval for conventional coil springs, just a warning for nit-picking insurance companies looking for way out of paying a claim :(

GW8IZR likes this.
  7. fizzy Member

uk
    The last LR with a proper chassis! Amazing offroad!
    Really miss mine

upload_2017-9-4_22-55-46.jpeg

8. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

Agreed, insurance loss adjusters always look for an angle.

My 03 had coils which was a shame as the air was superb and made trailer hitching a doddle - the air isn't that hard to keep in good order either.

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

I hope it doesn't come to that, pressing the button results in beeping and a flashing orange light so needs investigation

10. Kayos

Kayos Member

I've read quite an in depth guide so it's always a possibility

11. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

you might want to check its had the fuel pipe recall done, I imagine it has or it would be leaking! but its worth looking at the pipe from the tank to the front as it would fail just in front of the rear axle.

12. Kayos

Kayos Member

It's had extensive work, someone with no mechanical brains loved it, and the garage loved him. Service book filled in until it was full, £900 on injectors on the new engine, all oils including diffs changed every year, it goes on and hopefully nothing big will pop on me

13. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

I have an 03, doesn't have centre diff lock and the transfer box does not have the CDL innards so the only way mine will get CDL is fitting another transfer box that had the CDL internals.

TC on the D2 is defo not as good as having CDL

It does seem a bit of a lottery as to which ones had CDL, early D2's generally have the CDL internals but no lever, late 02 and most 03 models do not have the CDL internals so require a transfer box swap and then the 04 models may or may not have the CDL internals and if they did mat have had the much sought after CDL lever and linkage

If you are lucky enough to have the CDL internals you have a few options

1. Buy a CDL linkage kit, they are about £200
    2. Retro fit the 300Tdi linkage
    3. Make your own, have seem various homebrew options including vacuum operated, electrical actuator and even 1 where they used a 1/2" drive universal joint and extension bar that you rotated

Get over to the D2BC forum, lots of info and helpful period on there

Mine is still on air and love it, it's also an ES model so had ACE which is also fab, when it's not leaking

GW8IZR and Kayos like this.
  14. fizzy Member

uk
    I had the gs 7 seat which had air rear suspension which was great offroaf. The 5 seater has coils.
    What they don't tell you about air is the higher you jack the vehicle the stiffer tbe ride gets. My 110 was far more comfortable off road!

15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i recognise the place in the first pic koyas

im looking at the p38 air suspension at the moment its faulty at moment pumps bust on it but someones had a go looking at it changed main unit and still hasnt worked tried a reset to it and still the same

Kayos likes this.
  16. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

No need to sort an annoying oil leak, it'll develop one on it's own soon enough. Imaginative use of the grinning kid to hide the front of the number plate :D It looks like an OCD owner under the bonnet, really clean.

indy4x and Kayos like this.
  17. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Ah yes, if a LR isn't leaking oil then it needs topping up

Have you seen that game where you have a load of little gremlins that pop up and your supposed to bash them back down with a mallet but as fast as you hit them down another one pops up?

That's the same as oil leaks on a LR but on the plus side it might help preserve your chassis

Migmac and Kayos like this.
  18. Kayos

Kayos Member

@GW8IZR

50mph @ 2000 rpm
    70mph @ 2700 rpm

Speedo very accurate compared to sat nav

GW8IZR likes this.
  19. Kayos

Kayos Member

Little update

It does have rear air suspension intact and it all works (in future I will read handbook and look myself, not rely on neighbour) so that has made me happy

Not been able to check the centre diff lock, if it has it I will buy the cables, if not I will swap it alol if/when it needs a clutch

Have been playing with the low range and hdc today, I'm very impressed with it, learning to drive a big diesel has been interesting but it pulls like a train

20. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

Thank you

Advertisements