Discovery 2

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Are they going to remain independently switched [for off-roading, I assume] or in series with the main beams?

2. Kayos

Kayos Member

Independent only, if I flash someone at night they would be blind. Gave them a little test last night and it was like turning the sun back on

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    We have the “3 amigos” on ours again, I thought it might be the shuttle valve switches again but the fault code reader says left front wheel sensor.
    I’m hoping it is just the sensor and not the hub.
    Out of interest what fault code reader do you have?
    I’ve borrowed a mate’s TRW easycheck but it’s very limited as to what it can read on the Td5, I think it’s ABS only.

4. Kayos

Kayos Member

Hub is easy enough to swap, in my experience it’s been the hub failing that causes sensor issues

Foxwell NT510

http://m.obd2shop.co.uk/wholesale/foxwell-nt510-multi-system-scanner.html

Bought from the above, bit of a faff to setup (needs a laptop and some instruction reading)
    Does everything I’ve needed on the Disco, air suspension, ABS, engine etc. Also had it on

2012 Puma defender, 2014 Freelander 2 and various range rovers, only thing it failed on was a late 2005 Range Rover TD6 with an oddball air setup, couldn’t read it properly but nothing other than the proper Land Rover tool can

Wozzaaah likes this.
  5. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks, I’ve been looking at the icarsoft ones. Ours is a 2000 MY and I know the older D2s used a different protocol.
    I’ll do some googling. :D

6. Kayos

Kayos Member

It’s a Land Rover module you get, should talk to any with an ECU

Diesels didn’t have to be OBD2 compliant until 2004 so all TD5’s need a proper reader

Wozzaaah likes this.
  7. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Excellent! That sounds just the job.

8. Kayos

Kayos Member

Tried the lights out on my way home, I actually laughed at how bright they are

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

:D

10. Cyberprog Member

I have a D2 TD5 also, and mine's armed with a 250W LED bar over the windscreen on a roof bar, along with 2x 18W LED spots on the bumper :) Sadly not my daily drive anymore, as I have a D3 :)

As for diagnostics, I have the Nanocom Evolution licensed up for the D2 and D3.

Righty, found some pics. Normal view with just main beams;
    normal.jpg

Now with the LED Bar on;

led_bar.jpg

11. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

I'm gathering the bits for one of these at the minute. I have the roof mount and loom. Looking to get the light bar next month. I'm going to have it wired three way on a switch to be on the flash, independently and off.

12. Cyberprog Member

Mine hangs off a standard roof bar - and has a AMP powerpole (powerpak I think) connector behind the snorkel. Length of trailer wire runs up the snorkel and out the back. Plan is to bring more than just the 12V for the bar you see - but not gotten round to wiring the flashers on yet - one day!

Mine's just on a relay off the main beam. Fire & forget.

aguycalledsteve likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

14. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

You're putting indicators on the light bar mount?

15. Cyberprog Member

Yes, but it's not as simple as that as I plan on running it through a sho-me flasher unit that'll let me strobe them also. Need to get a earth path from the stalk to a relay to make that work. Similar sort of thing at the back with some red LED's for stop/tail.

aguycalledsteve likes this.
  16. Kayos

Kayos Member

Some more jobs done today

Steering box as the old was was loosing fluid faster than my Mrs spends at Christmas

Heavy, awkward and difficult on your back but managed ok.

Also swapped the track rod and drag link

2847DC15-01EA-455A-AF72-CCDE4F1729C6.jpeg D26C54BA-A16C-4E92-A7E9-97E5321D968D.jpeg

Steering wheel is a quarter turn off, UJ was such a pain I will move the wheel, measured old track rod and drag link but will get it set up on Monday.

Also swapped the calliper carriers and slides, gone with EBC brakes this time, the Mintex ones don’t seem to like such a heavy car

3C03E71A-D7E5-48A5-BC7A-A10421A233C7.jpeg

Bit of finishing off to do in the morning, rerouting a few wires, not going mad as I will be redoing my new fuse and relay boxes at some point anyway

17. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Didn’t I see you say recently and I’ll paraphrase...

‘Nothing wrong with LR , not touched mine in a month ‘

:scared:

18. Kayos

Kayos Member

I was being a bit flippant, however technically I haven’t touched it for a month, just been ordering parts

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    What steering box did you get? We got a "reconditioned" one for ours a few years ago and it's already started leaking.
    I didn't fancy changing it so let the garage that did the MOT do it, they had a hell of a job fitting it.

20. Kayos

Kayos Member

A decent second hand one, funds a bit tight or it would have been a recon one

Wozzaaah likes this.
Advertisements