Difference between clarke compressors

1. harryb94 Member

looking at buying a bigger compressor and have around 500 to 600 quid to spend, the options seem to be either clarke or sip however clarke have 4 compressors which all appear to be the same, does anyone know what the difference between these 4 are?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/se16c150-air-compressor

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/se15c150-wis-air-compressor

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/se15c150-ol-air-compressor

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-se17c150-14cfm-150-litre-heavy-duty-ind

also would anyone recommend clarke over sip or vice versa? cheers

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

The main difference I can see is that they don't all specify cast iron cylinders. I would go for cast iron.

I have just bought a 3hp SIP and it doesn't come up to my 10 year-old Clarke SE16. My SIP has cast iron cylinders with ally crankcase & head*.

CORRECTION - the head is ally, the crankcase is cast iron (or ferrous at least)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. harryb94 Member

Looks like the SE16 is the way to go then, I've heard a lot of good things about older Clarke compressors but wasn't sure if the new ones were built to the same quality?

4. rtbcomp

I think some are Chinese and some Italian, go for the Italian.

5. D4B Member

I spoke to Machine Mart today about those industrial compressors, most (or all) need at least a 20 Amp supply.

So as I just want to plug in they recommended the Belt Drive Boxer range, which have cast iron liners and a 13 Amp plug.

Like this one:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...0-150-litre-belt-driven-air?da=1&TC=SRC-boxer

They said to check first that I was actually getting 230V at my wall socket as some areas get as little as 218V.

Checked mine: 238V

Happy days

6. harryb94 Member

I'm getting a 30 amp supply fitted so that isn't a problem, might give them a ring actually to see if they can clear up what the differences are between those compressors

7. D4B Member

Yes they were VERY helpful

8. rtbcomp

My Clarke cause a B20 amp MCB to buzz, but it doesn't trip.

That Boxer looks just like my SIP, that too says you can run it off a 13A supply, but it occasionally blows the fuse in the plug. I'd go for the SE16.

9. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    I have an se16 only had just over 12 months but been very good not to loud for piston compressor would recommend for the cost

10. harryb94 Member

Definitely sounds like SE16 is the way to go then, might wait till they have another vat free day to get it for a bit cheaper though

11. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    Pretty sure they have vat free till 18th august am sure I had an email at work

12. D4B Member

Yep

13. normspanners Member

northwales
    For light use those style of pumps may be ok but I have found the head gaskets and the heads distort with heavy use I have modified a few and made copper gaskets for the head and valve plate gaskets and made the gasket wider so that it is in the inlet air IE left some gasket overhanging but inside the inlet chamber.
    I did one at my wifes garage which had 4 pumps on it in a few mths, primarily because they now have 6 lads running off it, and the compressor is not big enough, they had ended up seizing because they had got that hot due to the gaskets going between the pots. after my mod it has run for 18mths no problem, the bottom end seem quite good to be fair.
    But I still like the old broomwade / ingersol rand thumpers slower but quieter.
    They go on and on.

eil and Rig Pig like this.
  14. rtbcomp

My Clarke has been grit-blasting for 10 years on an almost daily basis with no problems. I've a sneaky feeling the ally head on the SIP might not stand up so well.

15. normspanners Member

northwales
    Yep the ones i have done where ally heads from M/mart but, as said,after the mod the pump has not stopped.
    The gaskets are a paper based type of material i dont think you can beat copper.

16. rtbcomp

Couldn't agree more about copper for gaskets.

The instructions for the SIP says

"Cylinder head bolts - these should be checked and re-tightened with a torque
    wrench after the first days running, after 50 hours, and thereafter every 500 hours
    or four months, whichever is the sooner. The cylinder head needs to be completely
    cold before carrying out this operation."

17. harryb94 Member

Do I need a voucher to get vat free? Cheers for the tip on the gaskets

18. rtbcomp

I just told them I'd left it at home. Just had to fill a form in (name, address, email &c) and they let me in.

19. harryb94 Member

I don't think I've bought anything from machine mart before, will that matter?

20. rtbcomp

You should be OK. They want the info for marketing and sending you vouchers in the future. The worst they can do is say "go away" but they're unlikely to do that with a potential customer.

Advertisements