Design planning for galv and power coat

1. Yamhon Member

Sounds good; I'm assuming the powder coaters will do the bulk of the prep and apply their own primer, is that correct? I know their website mentions to use water based markers when marking out.

2. AndersK Member

Yes, let them prime it. Must be the correct primer so it bonds to the top coat and also survive the curing oven.

Same with the markers, don't want anything under the primer that can bubble later.

Applies also for hot galv. They usually say rust is ok but not paint and to use water based markers.

Picked up about 40 kg steel and some aluminium from powder coat today. Steel had been hot galved and looked a bit rough when I dropped it off there. After their blasting and coating it looked really nice.

Yamhon likes this.
  3. Yamhon Member

I'll opt for just powdercoat then :-)

Not sure how safe my markers are so I'll use french chalk for any marking out or a scribe.

AndersK likes this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'd just u/coat and paint it, but I'm cheap and lazy.....:ashamed:

Parm and mtt.tr like this.
  5. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Don't assume anything, TELL THEM what you want. There is extra work involved and therefore cost to prep.

Yamhon likes this.
  6. Yamhon Member

I'll check my measurements tomorrow and request a quote and go from there. Add that cost to materials so I have something to compare ready made offerings against also.

7. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I would fabricate the box section frame, get that galvanised then clad with pre-galvanised sheet mechanically fixed to the frame. Pregalvanised sheet is electro-galvanised and therefore comes flat.
    Sheet (and often plate) responds quite variably to hot dip galvanising. Quite often it will warp badly, especially if you are restricting its movement by welding to a frame. I think you'll be disappointed if you fab the whole thing then galv it. At best the sheet will 'belly', at worst it will look like its been in a train crash.

Speak to Simon at Leeds G&P if you go to them, they will prep before powdercoating but the quality was always very variable...
    We use Metaltreat for galv and a company called Batchglow for powdercoat. About the best of the bunch. If you are after a good finish you are probably best fettling yourself.

Parm, gaz1 and Yamhon like this.
  8. Yamhon Member

Thanks for the advice, good idea on the pre galvanised sheet.

Thanks all, really appreciate the help.

Advertisements