Design planning for galv and power coat

1. Yamhon Member

I have a project in mind to build a cabinet, around 5' long, 2' deep and 3' high. The basic outline of the project will be a SHS frame with sheet metal sides and doors. Plan to add the doors at a later stage.

I'd like to have the frame galvanised and powder coated; costs depending, so with that in mind I'm thinking of building the frame first and having it treated and then affixing the sheet metal side panels to the frame with rivnuts rather than welding.

Is this a sensible way to go about this? and is there anything I need to be aware at the design/purchasing stage with respect to galvanising and powder coating, never done either before? Leeds Galvanising and Powder Coat are local to me, so plan on using them.

Thanks in advance.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    One job at a time

Parm, The_Yellow_Ardvark and mtt.tr like this.
  3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

Why build?

There are plenty on E Bay, free cycle and other places like that.

They will be designed to do what you want.

Look at MOD sales, they sometimes have modular units, that can be adapted.

It will save you a lot on money and server space.

4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Personally i wouldn't build its hard to make something better than can be bought

Ashley Burton, Parm and Nick DV like this.
  5. Yamhon Member

Not seriously considered buying a ready made solution, as I was asked to build something, and it's something I'd like to tackle... though I agree its sensible to see what's available ready made, I'll do some research and see how things stack up against my design.

6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

So it is not your project?.
    But some thing you were asked to build?

Then the person you has asked you to build has a lot to say.
    I suggest you find out the spec they want it made too.
    Egg. Size, finish, assembly and things like that.

Then form a plan and investigate.
    Bare in mind one off items at Powder coaters is more expensive than a run.
    Even you you do the prep your self

Galvanized work varries in price from one place to another.
    It may be cheeper a few miles away. But the cost of transport needs to be considered.

One off builds are not as simple as you think.
    Once you have a good working idea/plan.
    Ask the collective on their views. They may have a nugget of information you missed.

slim_boy_fat, Parm and Shedendman like this.
  7. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

If your planning to sell this project or at least cover the cost of materials and consumables, the price of disposable bottles will be your Achilles heel

8. Parm

The list of planned jobs or those being thought about is getting rather big

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Just like the rest of us, then! :D

Ali and Parm like this.
  10. Parm

Just need to try and be realistic about what’s achievable.

Most of my roundtuit projects have been ditched off

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Yamhon Member

To clarify; I was asked by my father to come up with something to replace the current cabinet and worktop in the garage which is on its last legs. I'm appreciative of the idea, and fancy the challenge, so I look on it as a project, and no money will be exchanging hands, I'd just build it because I fancy doing it and give it to my parents to fulfill a need.

I already have a firm idea in my mind of what I would like the end result to look like and function, and have spent more time yesterday and today thinking about a lot of loose ends that will help everything come together in the end.

Will probably build it in stages, to spread the costs out over a period of time, beginning with the frame, so if the old one collapses totally at least items can be put on the frame as a temporary measure. I envision frame first, then casters/feet and shelf supporters, back and side panels, worktop and the last step will be the doors, shelves, door handles, etc.

I'd like to build a solution, something I can be proud of and see working in years to come; but if I see something that meets most of the criteria for a good price, I'd consider it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Yamhon Member

I have a ring binder, organised under categories where I store notes, sketches, etc about various projects, sometimes I get an idea of how a small component can work, on its own it means nothing but added together projects can start to come together.

I quickly get bored so like to have something to do when time and money allows.

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  13. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

If the galvanisers also do powdercoating (several do) , then they should take care of any fettling / preparation that needs doing prior to powdercoating.
    If you send it somewhere else to powdercoat, then you will need to either fettle it , or be very specific with your powdercoater as to what you want them to do.
    They will also etch prime it to provide a key prior to powdercoating.
    Alternatives are zinc spray and powder coat , or just powder coat,
    If your steel is clean then I’d probably go with last option to save money.
    Remember if using SHS and the ends are sealed , you will need to provide vent / drainage holes. If you don’t, they will either refuse to galv or put holes in for you (at your cost) . Chances are they won’t be pretty.
    You could ask them where you need to put the drain holes and what diameter.

slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
  14. Parm

that’s not a bad idea. I used Pinterest for the same but it just got out of control. Now I don’t do any social media, life’s much simpler

Yamhon likes this.
  15. Parm

If it’s just staying in the garage it’s worth exploring some of the modern pants. Will be much cheaper than Galv and powder and won’t incur transport costs

there’s some good stuff out there. More experienced folk will be along

Yamhon and mtt.tr like this.
  16. AndersK Member

First, if it's for indoor use I'd skip the galv.
    Primer and top coat powder will be good enough.

If you still want to galv there is a few things to consider.

To get good binding of the powder coat they need to blast the galv lightly. Otherwise the powder coat is likely to flake, specially where you bolt it.

Blasting will remove most of a electro plating so hot galv is to prefer.

During hot galv temperature rises very fast hence you cannot have closed vessels. They might bulge or even crack.
    This mean you have to drill all profiles that are closed, must be open in both ends. Size of holes depend on section but for a 50mm square 10mm is about right. How they hang your frame also determines where to put holes, excess zinc must be able to flow out.

Yamhon and mtt.tr like this.
  17. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

a member did roughly what you wanted in end he did better and made them moveable as well

i just cant remember the members name to post the link that you need to see them

he built the frames then installed bought drawers sets to ginto them looked really good as well

i think they was black frames with red set of drawers in them

edit found them

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/drill-press-stand-cabinet.65152/page-6

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Yamhon Member

The place I have in mind do both galvanising and powder coat, I found them when I was researching powder coating and thought I'd see about having both done.

Having just the powder coating done is certainly an option. I'd rather not rattle can it, I've not had much look with that approach so far.

19. Yamhon Member

I like Pinterest for inspiration, but a lot of the pictures are small and don't show all the details. For me Pinterest is more of a mood/ideas board and I use pen and paper a lot to sketch out ideas and try and plan cutting lists, work out measurements, etc.

Keep meaning to learn Fusion 360; but its just so easy to grab a piece of paper and scrawl an idea down, don't think I could fully go digital.

20. Yamhon Member

Yeah will be in the garage. There is the odd drip in heavy rain, but the roof on the garage is mostly water proof. Was more worried about damp rather than it getting rained on. The place I had in mind can pickup and drop off, but that's obviously an added expense as you point out.

Advertisements