Colchester Bantam Mk1 1600

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

Got any pictures?

Edit: of teardrop handles (I don't want any miscommunication here ;) )

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  3. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Either as Steve shows or like this, just feels nicer than a knob IMO.....
    [​IMG]

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  4. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    IMG_0207[1].JPG I just turned an end out of alloy bar

daleyd likes this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

Ball and teardrop I see, stepping up the standard!

6. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

7. Dieselkid 63

Does anyone else have this toolpost?

[​IMG]

It's the basic model, but not the one on the spare parts manual. There was a hole where I have put a grub screw I made for it in. I thought there was a seized screw in there so I had it all set up on the drill press to make a bore and get it out, but as I dropped the head down (power-less dry run) something moved, tapping a screwdriver down the hole revealed this

[​IMG]

It's hollow bored about half an inch at the top. I can't work out how it works apart from that there must be a way to lock it into the 'flower' looking circle under the post. Something is missing, and I need to find out what. For now the grub screw will stay in there to stop *NO SWEARING ON THIS FORUM* getting down there.

8. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

It's a spring loaded pawl and engages with grooves cut in the base plate. It provides incremented positioning of the toolpost. If that's the only part you have then it's incomplete.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  9. Dieselkid 63

Cheers. I will keep an eye out for a nice spring to put in there.

10. Pete.

Pete. Member

I shouldn't bother they aren't all that repeatable and will probably drive you nuts anyway. A nice QCTP and holders would suit you better.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  11. Dieselkid 63

I am looking out for one don't worry :) Everything seems to be so damn expensive here though. One sold the other day on Trademe for $595... that's $95 more than I paid for the entire machine :( Got some tool holders but they've turned out to be a bit rubbish, maybe even home cast/built up weld.

I am moving it on Friday. Kinda nervous, I've never moved anything this big before. Got me a 1T lifting strap and 3.2T bow shackle (lowest rating they had), then I'm going to box over the bed to protect the screw.

12. Pete.

Pete. Member

Is there not a hole through the beds you can put a bar through? That's the normal lifting point.

13. Dieselkid 63

Yep but at the risk of sounding stupid , will the steel bar be able to take the strain?

14. Dieselkid 63

Workshop was locked at uni today and nobody about to unlock it - complete pain. I will try and find secca tomorrow to help me get in.

Because of this, I decided to dismantle the four jaw chuck I have stashed in my studio cupboard over lunch. Took a bit of working out how to get the screws free but I got it. Only reason for doing so was that the threads were choked with sawdust and I don't like that.

I'm buying an engine crane instead of hiring one. The place in Wellington wants $45/day, the place in my home town wants $55/day and it's non-foldable so I'll need to hire a trailer too. Not keen, too much faffing about either end and if I don't use it afterwards I can sell it. One more day... excited but also nervous!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Pete.

Pete. Member

Yep, it's not that heavy a machine. I think anything from 14mm/9/16" would be comfortable. Just watch it for ending when you initially get the weight off the floor.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    This any good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screwd.

17. Dieselkid 63

Looks almost identical but I'm not in the workshop to check rn. Its the spring under that hex grub screw I'm interested in. Its not a major concern though

18. Dieselkid 63

My lathe is home. Pics of the move and of it on the floor to follow!

slim_boy_fat and Pete. like this.
  19. Pete.

Pete. Member

Excellent! Get the two pedestals levelled up on the jacking bolts and fix it down on the floor if you can. The independent pedestals can easily put some twist in the bed I found. You can see it clearly using a dial indicator

20. Dieselkid 63

Rewind to Thursday night in the workshop and everything was quiet, the floor swept to within an inch of its life and the shelves filled.

[​IMG]

The delivery had been set. I had ordered and reserved the engine crane from the shop. I got a *NO SWEARING ON THIS FORUM* night's sleep as I was nervous about A) missing my train in the morning and ruining the plan and B) not being able to access the workshop to get the thing out. As it turned out the workshop was open (phew) and the plan went ahead.

I'll admit I was skeptical when people said you can use a crane to lift, even though I had seen pictures online. I could only buy 12mm black steel bar so this was used to lift it. And it did! Up she goes.

[​IMG]

The engine crane did not like those parquet tiles one bit. The roller shutter door had an iron base which was a pain too, then there was a step. I think we had it up and down about five times before we got it into the Hi-Ace. At my place the workshop has full concrete surrounds and no base on the roller shutter door - but a dream! She glided in with no trouble at all.

And here she is, all ready to be worked on

[​IMG]

And here I am working on it. The gearbox has been drained and flushed with kero, bit of sediment in there but really not as bad as ones I've seen online. The majority of the oil was golden yellow.

[​IMG]

The towels I use for positioning under the machine when I'm degreasing or removing parts, it softens any drops or falls and they make cleanups a breeze. $2 charity shop specials. I think that's about it for now.

Thanks for following!

phm87, addjunkie, mpats and 4 others like this.
Advertisements