Colchester Bantam Mk1 1600

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Done. Tested it and it can hold all five lathe chucks happily which is impressive as I certainly can’t hold them all at once! Annoyingly the drawer front is welded on out of square. This irks me greatly, however I can’t really be bothered to sort it. I’m going to buy a new cam lock as the original was opened with a screwdriver (not by me) and is a wee bit mashed!

The linkages for the brake stop are going to be red. First link reattached, this is a bit fiddly as you have to pass it through the cabinet. This will all need doing before the chip tray goes back on.

• EEEDD57B-7753-4C97-80E5-1AD8EF48AC0B.jpeg
    • AFDE472B-0A5F-4E47-9DD7-F0D1B9A8FCEE.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat, Seadog and Farside like this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

It looks mint.

But.

That drawer would **** me off.

Can you not drop right hand side down?

5 chucks in a drawer is a lot of weight!

eLuSiVeMiTe and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  3. Dieselkid 63

Yep I’m very annoyed too haha

I could file the holes a little. If anything I’d like the left side raised up.

slim_boy_fat and Brad93 like this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Carbide burr in the holes to elongate them. As long as it can be clamped tight with some decent bolts or it will just slip back down.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

That’s my only concern. There are cap screws and nuts there so could potentially be v tight. I’ll see if I’ve got any burrs left in my Dremel kit, that’s a good idea :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Maybe some serrated washers to add a bit of grip. Especially with 100kg of chucks in there haha!

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  7. Dieselkid 63

Off to the fastener shop :)

8. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Or, drill another hole, once you've got the alignment right and pop another bolt in :scared:

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. Dieselkid 63

That would mean taking it apart again. I had thought about re-drilling the S shaped steel runner... we shall see.

10. Dieselkid 63

I found the little metal disc for Gamet bearings - this goes on the headstock, however I don’t feel it fully matches the lathe as it has the same look as the MkII printed data plaques, compared to the MkI with its lovely brass and enamel.

Really old Bantams came with brass Gamet badges and (for a wild change) I found one on Colchester spares for just a few quid! I will mount it on the aluminium wheel guard which should look brilliant. The plastic one which came with mine had a 600 group badge on too, but I’m not a fan. I know this is all decoration etc :artist: but the devil is in the details!

• EDB34B93-B58A-49F3-822E-A0B9874CC8F0.jpeg
    Seadog, slim_boy_fat and Brad93 like this.
  11. Dieselkid 63

I wasn’t entirely happy with the painted-over bolts on the front, so I stripped them to bare metal. Much nicer I think.

I also installed the bar and bronze bushes for the brake. You can see how I’ll have to cut the drawer sides to fit around the bar. It’s becoming one machine again - brilliant!

• AC9D3A11-4798-41FD-9864-6D9B9E1AC22E.jpeg
    • 5D0A8F89-451A-41FE-A2DA-C72C89EBC8DD.jpeg
    • 2B76A8FC-3C4E-4AF6-9801-DAF86DA4D9FC.jpeg
    Seadog and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  13. Dieselkid 63

About a year ago I bought a LoVoLight from @MCKDAVID and today I decided to take a look at it. It appears to have got quite wet at some point! Beneath the rust and paint and dirt though it’s actually not that bad.

These lamps are worth a small fortune now so I’m pleased just to have one - note the Bantam was not offered with one of the Terry lamps, it had to be the LoVoLight. Also of interest is that the Chipmaster wasn’t specified as being able to take the two point steady, despite the carriage and cross slide being identical to the Bantam.

A full restoration back to matt black and hammered silver will ensue in due course. I also need to make a bracket for the lamp as it is meant to be mounted without the power transformer box.

• 1E55B28B-C732-4D99-8F14-3CC314984309.jpeg
    • 1929C652-D15F-474F-BA74-2DDEC998A0AE.jpeg
    • F11B6D0D-CD7D-48BB-B1F3-12BDBB1FC439.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Carl Wilson Member

Very nice light.

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Exactly the same as mine.

I need a coolant pipe like the one in that catalogue.

16. Carl Wilson Member

The coolant pipe in the catalogue is the same as a Harrison M series one. The light you have got is very similar to my Harrison Mill one. I guess it's a 600 thing.

Brad93 likes this.
  17. Dieselkid 63

Travelling steady cleaning - this has been repainted once; it was originally green. The paint comes off easy enough which is a pleasant change. These are made of cast aluminium I think, with steel fittings (removed).

Bought a drawer handle today too - I tried to get one which matches the original. This style is called ‘Luton’ at the shop I went to! I thought you’re supposed to choose nice places to name things after :scared:!

Also got a new linbide blade so the drawer can get stripped.

• 4AC7D333-6F80-49AA-8628-34AE2AB2E26C.jpeg
    • 4AE71E87-61C0-4520-A05B-79D59A9FE5F7.jpeg
    • F5EF04B2-9BFE-4B64-BB62-D89993631905.jpeg
    • 1EB04344-62FA-4588-8768-6C0B26BCDF27.jpeg
    • 98FE8443-C69D-471B-AD22-F4CCCC0D5117.jpeg
    dobbslc and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  18. Carl Wilson Member

What have you been using to strip the paint off? I have to strip the paint from my Harrison Mill so I'm interested.

I was going to buy some Methylene (methyl?) chloride which as I understand it was the active ingredient in Nitromors. It was removed due to H&S implications.

Just wondered what you are using.

19. Dieselkid 63

Just off the shelf paint stripper, nothing fancy. Softens it up then linbide scraper pulls it off in sheets. Good on the sheetmetal however with the castings there is filler, so it can sometimes be worth using a chisel to crack it off.

20. Dieselkid 63

Here’s me cracking heavy paint off my Harrison grinder. I used the edge of the chisel to provide a levering force. Worked well, then use the tip to clean up the debris you’ve made. The piece of metal is a cast aluminium end grill which, after lots of filling and sanding, came up looking gorgeous. Later models saw the intricate grills replaced with sheetmetal.

• 25041C0A-3DA1-4627-8F2F-D0CD33559B5B.png
    • 6D9D990A-815C-409C-B8C3-E443A9D894D6.jpeg
    Hopefuldave and Brad93 like this.
Advertisements