Cobra (re)build

1. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I tried most, if not all, of the suggestions above but with no luck.

This set-up allowed me to put a large amount of force in but nothing was shifting -
    P1040043.JPG

Next I cut an access panel so that I could get at the sockets
    P1040042.JPG

Hammering and cutting slots in the sockets made no difference, so in the end I just cut one of the hoop legs off and then it came quite easily

P1040044.JPG

Farside and slim_boy_fat like this.
  2. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    It's off!

P1040051.JPG P1040052.JPG

3. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    It's out!

P1040054.JPG P1040055.JPG

slim_boy_fat, galooph and Wallace like this.
  4. Wallace

Wallace Member

Tenuous link to The Black Prince, Gordon Geeble at a photo shoot last year for this months Classic and Sports Car magazine. :D Just by coincidence we had a Honda 50 back in the 70's with a close number plate, GBH 105C. My brother said it stood for "Grievous Bodily Harm 105 Cases". :laughing:

IMG_5748.JPG IMG_5749.JPG IMG_5750.JPG IMG_5751.JPG IMG_5753.JPG

5. minimutly Member

The front of a Gilbern, the back of a Rover 2000.....

6. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Michelotti, was it?
    The designers all had their own styles that kept coming out.

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

I think they are Jaguar rear lights.

8. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

It's Gobbling Behind Hedges.

Hopefuldave and Wallace like this.
  9. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Nice GK pictures but some of the styling a bit of an 'acquired taste'. I like the GBH shape, very Italian, but why would you paint it **Language** brown?

On with the cobra and some musings, it is interesting taking something apart that you built 30 years ago...

• It has not done a lot of mileage but some of the suspension rubber components are completely shot, particularly things like the boots for the ball joints.
    • It's surprising how many 'gotchas' you can build in when you are never really planning to dismantle it again. Things like you can't get the earth lead off without removing the starter and you can't remove the starter without removing the exhaust manifold. I'm trying to put some of these right as I go.
    • Hooray for copper grease! I used it on all the fastenings on the chassis ant they come apart just as is they were fitted yesterday, even the grease still looks fresh.
    • One of the many things I have learned from the Project Binky series is the value of captive fasteners - I intend to add some as I go to make the whole thing easier to assemble.
    • The chassis and its powder coat has weathered very well - a little light surface rust here and there but no major failing of the coating
    • That Ram chassis is very stiff; it is almost impossible to get it to sit on four axle stands on a slightly uneven floor; there is always one or two taking little weight.

First job is to give the chassis a good clean and get it into the workshop...

stuvy likes this.
  10. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I separated the engine and put it on the stand

P1040078.JPG

I can recommend the engine leveling bar; it makes life much easier.

Inside was a little cokey but I knew it had been running rather rich

P1040080.JPG

but a little work with a wire wheel and it came off easily

P1040079.JPG

Push rods in a rack in case I decide to reuse them or sell them as a set with the cam and lifters

P1040081.JPG

slim_boy_fat, Wallace, Dcal and 2 others like this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@mylesdw Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I see you've upgraded from the standard, obligatory mug to a cup & saucer - how are we supposed to gauge size(s) now? :scared: :D

mylesdw, More Amps and jsf55 like this.
  12. Wallace

Wallace Member

I have one of those engine levelling bars, very useful but mine was poorly made so I refurbished and improved the fit of everything so it’s smoother. I have read about the scroll pin shearing on the end nuts under load causing collapse.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    The paint on the block is in great shape and cleans up beautifully. It is a synthetic enamel called Tractol (tractor paint) that I can't get here in NZ (more's the shame). It may look like Chevrolet orange but it is in fact the colour used on Fordson wheels. It is cheap, goes on well with a brush and sticks well too.

14. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Fitted some new upper ball joints. The previous ones were low mileage but the rubbers had completely disintegrated. At around £13 a pair I replaced them rather than seeking out new boots. These are the sealed ones.

P1040086.JPG

The lower shock bushes show some degradation and I'm not sure why. They were a little grimy, as you might expect but not contaminated with oil or anything. The rubber had turned into a kind of soft gunge.
    P1040089.JPG

The top bushes and the ones on the rear appear to be fine

P1040088.JPG

Anyone know where to get replacements? I would not mind changing these for a harder style bushing, nolethane etc.

15. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

mylesdw likes this.
  16. Wallace

Wallace Member

Just to refresh my memory, do those top ball joints have the mounting holes offset from the ball? I seem to remember fitting the same ones on a Jensen CV8 and having to set the castor and camber angle with shims.

17. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    The mounting holes are symmetrical. Caster is set with shims between the ball-joint and the wishbones. Camber is adjusted with shims where the wishbone joins the chassis.

18. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    New timing chain set and, since I'm converting to distributor-less ignition, a crank position wheel. The upper gear is milled to trigger the cam sensor.

P1040099.JPG

Fancy new billet cover has the cam and crank position sensors

P1040100.JPG

I always have this great David Vizard book by my side, it's brilliant.

P1040102.JPG

19. TigTigger Forum Supporter

Seeing the number plate a few posts back reminded me that I used to have GBH 527T on MK1 Cavalier. Back in the eighties you had to give them your registration number when you bought fuel on a credit card, always used to raise a smile. Wrote the car off one dark night and after they had removed it from a field with a HIAB which crushed the roof it was clearly scrap. However, a few weeks later I got a letter from the DVLA advising me that someone had applied to re-register it. Can only assume they wanted the registration number.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. Wallace

Wallace Member

Efi or carb and mapped ignition?

Advertisements