Cheaper Welding machines

1. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Thank you for the input.
    Only problem i have with those types of machines is its just swtiches to select the power so i cant fine tune the feed and volts which is my gripe with other machines.

2. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

All well and good if i was just doing MMA but id be mainly using the mig on a machine then use the MMA for practice or on heavy gauge steel.

3. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

4. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

5. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

To totally defeat or ruin someone or something.

6. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Well I've tried all the switches, alas mine only welds.

Richiew, ukracer and Tangledfeet like this.
  7. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

You said earlier in your random-direction-taking post that you wanted MMA and it doesn't (AFAIK) do MMA. And with R-Tech I've been there, done that - and moved on.

I don't think you yet know what you want and you're going to be forever comparing the minutiae of machines until you buy one, find out that it wasn't the perfect marriage, divorce (sell it) and get back on Tinder for welder (this forum) and try another. Just like I've done over the past three years or so!

johnyev, duncans and ukracer like this.
  8. Richiew Forum Supporter

The R-Tech does do MMA. However I agree with the rest of your post. Buy something, use it, inform yourself and move on.

duncans and Tangledfeet like this.
  9. Tangledfeet

I sit down, eating fish and chips with a chilled Chardonnay 'cuz that's how I roll, corrected!

johnyev and Mark 2 like this.
  10. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

whilst your posts are very helpful i dont understand why you would buy one then use it fora few years then sell it?
    If you buy something really good to begin with then surely you have it either until its beyond repair and needs replacing or you end up having it until you dont use it anymore and then get rid so ergo no more welding of anything.
    Just seems a bit odd to me is all.

How you roll sounds awesome but swap the white for a good merlot ;)

Tangledfeet likes this.
  11. DavidL

DavidL Forum Supporter

As you're looking at cheaper machines, then to be honest; it seems a little pricey against the competition - the big ticket for r tech appears to be the warranty at 3 years. Lots of folks on here will sing the praises of the R tech warranty support though so I guess that's a reputation duly earned.

This said, it's about 200 quid more than the Sherman S4 similar offering (2 years warranty, but no remote/spoolgun socket) and 250+ ish more than the Static Arc S4 (1 year). R tech seems to charge for the MMA leads as a cost extra (bundled on Sherman and static arc), but does include a regulator (?), to be fair.

I did a "first hour" type intro review to the Sherman S4 if you want to see a little more of it (I had only, and still have only done MIG with it!), and I know there's been some interest from folk considering the similar cheaper static arc, but I don't know if there's been a review of the S4 200 yet.

The recent thread by @Kram may also give food for thought:
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/small-inverter-mig.105401/

12. Richiew Forum Supporter

Technology improves, you improve as a welder you get a better idea of what you want. I don't play golf but lots of my mates cant stop buying new clubs..

duncans and Tangledfeet like this.
  13. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Merlot with fish? Get a grip man.

Does anyone really make anything to last any more. They're all Chinese boards in different boxes, hit and miss.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  14. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I read the entire thing when i sore them on ebay, very good review and it made me think it might be the one to go for.
    It costs a lot less than the lincoln but its from poland? wonder wht the support would be like on this mig ?

Merlot goes well with fish ! im not some barbarian ! lol

15. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

They seem to have a new one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-Weld...rsOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

16. Tangledfeet

We're all wired differently and I'm a hobbyist. I started off with MIG three or so years ago but after a year or so sold it and bought an AC/DC TIG and subsequently did an evening course on TIG and found I much preferred it. That TIG was an R-Tech and failed twice so I sold it and moved on, hence my comment about them.

As it currently stands I have, embarrassingly, three machines... all do DC TIG, one AC/DC TIG but doesn't do DC TIG anywhere near as nicely as the first, and a DC machine with wire feed for MIG and I'll be selling that soon...

PS Not a Merlot fan at all. And red with fish - really?!

17. ukracer Forum Supporter

Few and far between :(

18. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Just a merlot kinda guy but again like you its how im wired ;)
    I think its funny you have three machines, your a collector i see then !
    I will scrub the rtech of my list then, thank you for the heads up !
    Still the lincoln or possibly the sherman with it being quite a lot cheaper and having read Daves review it seems its not a hunk of poo.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

Incoming...lol.

But I would be surprised if you could compare a Lincoln with an R-tech on power alone.
    Obviously it depends on specific machines but comparing the two against each other without ignoring cost is not an option.

20. ukracer Forum Supporter

On this occasion after looking at the model you link to. I seriously doubt it. The R-tech does not do MMA although I have a 210 Tig that will do.

If you look into into tech support and after sales service R-tech is hard to beat...but try comparing apples with apples to get the full picture.

Advertisements