Cheaper Welding machines

1. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Hello, new here but long time lurker looking at peoples advice on welding machines.

Im somewhat new to welding with 1 years on the job experiance and a Lvl 1-2 C&G Mig and currently studying lvl 1 C&G MMA, still learning and still wet behind the ears !

Welding machines rebranded & branded.

Im in the market for a 200-250amp MIG/MMA machine and have been looking in to the cheaper sub £500 area for some time now and from what i have read from you guys you seem to not ''HATE'' Sherman, Static Arc and the Rohr brand.
    From reviews i find on these brands they seem pretty decent for a home user and not using it in and industrial setting.

Another question is, is there any good cheaper brands that give you full knobbed control of Volts & Feed for both MIG and MMA, the switch type are just pointless as they dont give you fine control of either functions.

2. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

3. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

They are just MMa machines? I did look at the other machines they have for sale but couldnt find much if anything at the amps/price i am after, thank you for the suggestion though.

4. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

5. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Lincoln Bester 190C..?

It'll do MIG. MMA and give you the option to try lift TIG - and is in the ball park (maybe a tad more) of your budget. Sold by several proper welding suppliers so properly supported. A quick search shows at least two forum members have them and seem to be impressed.

roblane65, Mark 2 and stuvy like this.
  6. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I use a Lincoln in work but obviously not this small.
    Only gripe i have with the suggested machine is its less than 200amp. But bloody good make and no doubt an amazing machine so ill consider it in my final choice.

thank you very kindly.

Quick other question, can you use any mig machine gasless ?

7. gt6s Member

8. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

That Blackline Mig 200 seems to have a raving review on here !
    i wonder if its still any good a year later?

9. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

200amp would be at the top end of single phase and, with all those, a low duty cycle.
    You need to be able to reverse the polarity and it's not always easy to tell whether that is possible without lifting the cover.

10. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

yeah isnt it tip negative for mma if you can reverse the polarity?
    Yeah think 200a is the highest id need for any future jobs or favours and such so ill stick to that power.
    the dude who reviewed the blakline mig says his is still going strong and can weld up to 10mm plate which i dont think ill ever do but its good to know it can do such a thickness.
    Duty cycle wouldnt really be a bug thing unles im welding a boat or a large sectin of sheet steel so should be ok there, just want the power there if i need it as opposed to not having and then needing it.

11. Tangledfeet

I think perhaps you're getting too concerned about claimed amperage. I don't think that there's any way (I am prepared to be corrected on this) that the chap with the Blackline can properly weld 10mm plate so I'd take that with a pinch of salt, not a full-penetration weld anyway.

Having done the qualifications I think you'll know what I mean about the difference between a properly prepared and set up joint rather than just two plates stuck together! (Best thing I did for my TIG welding was an evening course last year.)

Mark 2 likes this.
  12. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I get you bro, prep is much more important than the welding process, if you can do it with the right skill, though multipass is always an option for thicker steel.
    Congrats on doing a course, tig is bloody hard when you shake like a shitting dog lol

i think you are probably right on the claimed amps but as i said, i want it to not need it but have it there if i do ever build a ship in my backyard !

Think i might go for the blackline, its sold well and i cant find anything bad review wise on there machines.

13. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

IMHO 200amps is more than enough to stick weld 10mm plate, may not be one pass on the flat but will be more than adequate with two passes on properly prepped plate or anything positional, don't know many that weld vertically with anything like 200amps and the integrity of those welds are not compromised. Obviously not the same as blasting along in one pass with a 6mm rod and 250+amps but more than doable.

Bob

metalmelt, Tangledfeet and northwest like this.
  14. northwest

northwest Member

In the interest of the thread, I too am a Lincoln Bester owner. It turns out that it really is the best Mig I have ever owned, it is bloody marvellous. Makes me look like I actually know what I am doing! I am more than happy with the decision to buy it. I had really considered buying a Thermal Arc and that was what I was going for, until I discovered ESAB were unloading them so went with the Bester and don't regret the decision at all.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  15. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I must admit i am leaning towards the lincoln ''buy **** buy twice'' but i dont think the blackline is **** seeming as its sold so well.
    i am very very torn, the lincoln is over twice as much and has less amps.
    I know the amps arent the be all and end all but i want the extra power if needed for future jobs like running my own little side business doing metal repairs and such.

Whats the Lincoln really like, i know you might blow smoke up its bum but what can it do and what is the duty cycle really like in real life?

Sorry for all the questions but 500+ of the queens old face is a lot of her face to blow a load on....

16. Tangledfeet

Unless you have the electrical supply at home to feed the supposed gazillion amps that the Blackline has I wouldn't even worry as it'll never be able to produce them anyway...

northwest likes this.
  17. northwest

northwest Member

Look at it from another perspective, How much would you get if you were to re-sell the Blackline and how much for the Lincoln?

Edit: You could also look at the levels of support you get, from Blackline and Lincoln.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  18. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I have a qualified sparky mate whjo is going to install a dedicated 32amp breaker.
    I should hope i wouldnt get to the point where i would need to sell my welding machine so its a mute point really.
    I think i will go with the Lincoln as i use one every day in work and know there realiable and really good at what they do and also i can transfer over my known settings for thickness of material that i have worked out.

Thank you all for the help in guding me in the right direction, i know its a bit pricey but it would be the best choice really.
    Ill let you know how it copes with my welding ! lol

George A2Y and Tangledfeet like this.
  19. neutronstar64 New Member

leicester uk
    If you are just welding at home you don't need 200 amps.. I've got a clarke 150 te that I have had for 30 years from new.. ive used it in a professional bodyshop and NEVER had to max the amps out and ive built a LOT of stuff with it, from car bodies to a wheeling machine frame and it has never given up..
    Its had a few parts replaced over the years, mainly torch liners and necks etc and I have just had to replace a capacitor on the board as the speed control would only work on full speed, but seriously a 150 clarke welder will do everything you need it to, if you really have to weld massively thick stuff you'll have enough change for a stick welder too!

20. tom 748

tom 748 Member

mma kemppi

Advertisements