CE Marking / BS EN 1090

1. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

That’s a good way to do it, better to be safe than sorry.

2. Mid Wales welder

We have seen a few places now (mostly bigger sites) where they have put a building up and then not been able to get insurance for it. But also if a company is only certified to exc 1 and they put up an agricultural building, it means it can never have a change of use because it wasn’t built to exc 2.

wyn and Welderpaul like this.
  3. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

That happens a lot down this way. Farmer has a shed built. 12 months later it’s workshops / gyms etc etc

Mid Wales welder likes this.
  4. wyn

wyn Member

I've turned down a couple of jobs as they seemed to me to come under 1090.

5. Though few are ever go through change of use, and planning under permitted is very different to obtaining B1, this is my main income source these days and I have everything from barrelled rolled 1950s Dutch barns, to 1960 Atcosts and 1970 poultry units all let commercially, All rated but none with change of use, Insurance doesn't blink as long as the use is within there criteria.

Mid Wales welder and mtt.tr like this.
  6. steve t Member

Ireland
    How much does it cost to get certified to exc1

7. Mid Wales welder

That’s interesting, don’t really know much about that side, just what I have heard from companies that I have been too. Is that because it’s still a commercial building they can get away with it?
    It’s all down to insurance companies knowledge of EN 1090 and other companies that bring in the self policing element.

8. With insurance its liability, So unless there inundated with a huge number of claims because of Agricultural buildings collapsing on tenants there unlikely to be very interested. TBH its the numpty tenants that are far more likely to damage themselves or the building, the classic was a pint sprayer who decided to dispose of old paint by setting light to it and burning his own unit down!!

My PL unsurprising costs much more than the buildings insurance.

Mid Wales welder and mtt.tr like this.
  9. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Mid Wales welder and steve t like this.
Advertisements