CE Marking / BS EN 1090

1. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

That’s a good way to do it, better to be safe than sorry.

2. Mid Wales welder

We have seen a few places now (mostly bigger sites) where they have put a building up and then not been able to get insurance for it. But also if a company is only certified to exc 1 and they put up an agricultural building, it means it can never have a change of use because it wasn’t built to exc 2.

wyn and Welderpaul like this.
  3. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

That happens a lot down this way. Farmer has a shed built. 12 months later it’s workshops / gyms etc etc

Mid Wales welder likes this.
  4. wyn

wyn Member

I've turned down a couple of jobs as they seemed to me to come under 1090.

5. Though few are ever go through change of use, and planning under permitted is very different to obtaining B1, this is my main income source these days and I have everything from barrelled rolled 1950s Dutch barns, to 1960 Atcosts and 1970 poultry units all let commercially, All rated but none with change of use, Insurance doesn't blink as long as the use is within there criteria.

Mid Wales welder and mtt.tr like this.
  6. steve t Member

Ireland
    How much does it cost to get certified to exc1

7. Mid Wales welder

That’s interesting, don’t really know much about that side, just what I have heard from companies that I have been too. Is that because it’s still a commercial building they can get away with it?
    It’s all down to insurance companies knowledge of EN 1090 and other companies that bring in the self policing element.

8. With insurance its liability, So unless there inundated with a huge number of claims because of Agricultural buildings collapsing on tenants there unlikely to be very interested. TBH its the numpty tenants that are far more likely to damage themselves or the building, the classic was a pint sprayer who decided to dispose of old paint by setting light to it and burning his own unit down!!

My PL unsurprising costs much more than the buildings insurance.

9. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Mid Wales welder and steve t like this.
  10. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

I am curious to know if there have been any prosecutions and convictions during the previous 4½ years of either fabrication companies or individual contractors regarding non-compliance of BS EN 1090 regulations.

11. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I have heard rumours of companies having to remove steelwork that they have installed and not being paid for it. Could just be rumours though.
    Lots of companies out there still selling fabricated steel without it though . Lots !!

mtt.tr likes this.
  12. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

I don’t know of anyone who was prosecuted. To be honest I think for the bigger companies it was always going to be relatively self policing.

I imagine the big Companies wouldn’t be able to tend for jobs without having the correct certificates and accreditation’s in place. In turn they wouldn’t sub out work to smaller fab shops without them having their accreditation’s in order.

there is also the question of getting completed projects signed off by the relevant bodies who would also want to see evidence of the paper trail and also perhaps an issue with getting insurance or at the very least giving the insurance company an easy out if a claim came up for a project which didn’t have all of the necessary papers?

I guess there is still a grey area over the 1 man band knocking stuff up for the local builder but I don’t think that was the main focus of the legislation anyway

13. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

As far as i know there has never been a prosecution - i read enough trade/industry commentaries to know if there had been a case - people would be shouting from the rooftops.

All the Tier 1 and Tier 2 main contractors we work for want to see our 1090 certs for each and every job. We'd not get any work without.
    It does get watered down though - there's loads operating without it.

14. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    A chap i know proudly shows his work on Facebook. He most certainly isn't 1090.

If they wanted to deal out prosecutions they could with half hour on Facebook. Its much like anything they probably expect individuals to report others.

15. Gareth0123

I know of one local company deliberately flouting BS EN 1090: No defined processes, no inspection or testing, no traceability, uncalibrated equipment, an unqualified guy welding, free-hand oxy/gas cutting and an unqualified guy actually specifying the materials for the jobs: e.g taking the place of a structural engineer. They cut corners at every opportunity including thinning down paint down until you can see the rust underneath through it. Holes enlarged to get bolts in (24Ø for M16!), absolutely no prep on the joints. Welds that are nowhere near structural "because the guy doing the welding doesn't feel comfortable using the higher amps" (putting down welds I wouldn't even use on 3mm flats and plate) and then issuing a receipt that says "This is your certificate of conformity" without even listing what standards or regulations it confirms to.
    What really troubles me is that local building control has never picked up on a single item this company has pushed out the door it since BS EN 1090 came into effect back in July 2014.

16. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Well that sounds pretty shocking. Is there a body you can go to report them ?

Gareth0123 likes this.
  17. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

There are a lot of back street fabricators down this way making all manner of balustrading , staircases etc. There was a company showing off their structures on Linkdin , but they seemed to have removed all the pictures now. I’m pretty sure they haven’t got it. Is there a list of companies that comply and you are able to find out what ex class they are ?

18. Gareth0123

Norfolk Trading Standards aren't interested until building control make a complaint; apparently my word alone does not justify a consideration for investigation, even though it would almost guarantee prosecutions and gaol time for the directors of the company.

19. Welderpaul

Have a look on BCSA website and there is a list of co's with the accreditation and which class they hold (British Constructional Steelwork Association). We're on there somewhere too:thumbup:

Not the site i was thinking of, but you can find a list of members here.

20. Welderpaul

Trading Standards.

Advertisements