Burke Bar

1. Anguz

Anguz Forum Supporter

bedfordshire
    last time i bent a van spring, i used my tig set as a heat source.. just used a rounded tungsten

Wallace, stuvy and Screwdriver like this.
  2. mechman Member

Edit
    That should have read without the guard.

3. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

For a moment I thought you had fond a nice bar where a certain Japanese hobbie happened!

stuvy likes this.
  4. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

oh er misses.

Once upon a time, after watching forged in fire I had a crazy idea to make a knife, as you do !!!.

There is a truck repair place near me so acquired two complete leaf springs, they are bloody enormous. !!!

Several hours with the big 9" grinder and I only just managed to cut a bit off.

Stick it in the forge and after much time it was hardly hot.

Conclusion is that these things can be done but not with the sort of home made kit us amateurs have

Rig Pig, Wallace and stuvy like this.
  5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Sounds defeatist. The whole idea is for us amateurs to show the professionals just what can be done with artful bodging.

I'm cranking up the forge which I never really got around to tweaking in and then building a bending jig for the flypress.

It ain't called a burke bar for nothin'. :D

barking mat and Parm like this.
  6. Parm

part of the problem in the use of the coal forge was being an amateur.

It wasn't until id had a lesson from a master @julianthegypsy that I realised that you have to break the big lumps of coal into smaller bits so they "work" better

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

8. Parm

9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Yes.

Parm likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Coal, hammer, hammer, coal. Tommy Cooper? :laughing:

I prefer "Limited resources and minimal budget". Artful bodging is so vintage these days.

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Parm likes this.
  12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

13. julianthegypsy Member

I remember reading an account of an old blacksmiths apprenticeship, he reckoned he spent his first year crushing coke for the forges with a huge steel plate on the end of a pole, and by the end of it had arm muscles bigger than the reigning heavyweight champion of the world!

123hotchef, Parm and Wallace like this.
  14. johnser

johnser Member

Re. Grinder guards, keep an eye out for a Bosch blue one. The one on mine is great, it's held on by a lever clamp and can be spun/secured in moments no fuss. Not a new machine so is pretty old hat by now but still great. The screw tighten ones are really pants.

Memmeddu, Yamhon and Anguz like this.
  15. Chillitt Member

There was big round lump on a long fork handle here that never seemed to have a job, but it looks like I've now got a coal breaker.. :D

julianthegypsy and Parm like this.
  16. Turbo Member

Are you going to use the 4 candles to heat the steel? ;)

:scared:

123hotchef likes this.
  17. zx9

zx9 Member

I thought you had a band saw with lubricant pump, set her going and walk off to do something else, perfectly safe.

18. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Has @eSCHEn hacked your account? :D

MattF, daleyd, Maker and 2 others like this.
  19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It's currently set up with a table for vertical cuts in wood. Too much of a faff to swap it over and I wasn't sure how my metal blade would fare against this tough old spring. Once I had it up to temperature, I figure it would anneal it a bit but getting it to temp has proved problematic!

True story: a mate popped over to play with some toys in the workshop recently, grabbed this very angle grinder and started cutting. Soon as he did I cut the power and told him off for using it guardless. If looks could kill...

Anyhow as it happens I did nick a finger but it was with a brand new flap wheel. Having a guard wouldn't have helped because I caught it at the sharp end where it would have been exposed anyway and it went through the glove before I heard my own scream. On the other hand, if I did have a guard fitted, it might easily have jammed my finger right in between the disk and the guard. That would have been a whole lot less fun.

Nothing is ever perfectly safe, at least not in my workshop. It's a question of magnitude and sometimes having a "safety feature" present can disguise a dangerous situation so that instead of a few minor accidents, you're just saving up for one big one.

20. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Any how, to the flypress!

I went through a number of iterations of design to come up with a solution based around materials on hand. Those tractor pins I bough off here look promising.

[​IMG]

I can use the holes to my advantage in retaining the pins and setting parallel, distance etc.

[​IMG]

A quick hack setup last night and I think I might even be good to go.

[​IMG]

Obviously it will still need heat (and I am tempted to try the Tig as suggested above) but even stone cold, it does look like it's working.

123hotchef likes this.
Advertisements