Burke Bar

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well I don't know, I get these idea and then just have to go ahead and do it. I watch the Essential Craftsman on YouTube and he's so enthusiastic about these beasts, he convinced me. The he did a video on how to make one and compounded it by giving it to another favourite YouTuber, Andrew Camarata.

So here it is:

[​IMG]

I put the feelers out for some leaf springs and like waiting for a bus, several turned up all at once. Many thanks to @123hotchef for some dead handy lengths and for waiting as I got lost on the M4 (only lived here for a quarter of a century) but Cheb turned up with some bigger ones (!) so I went for these:

[​IMG]

Boy do I wish I hadn't! Those lorry springs are half an inch thick and tough as anything. Even the pacman was struggling to get through it.

Got there eventually....

[​IMG]

It's over a foot long, three and a half inches wide and half an inch thick. Takes ages to get warm let alone hot but with some perseverance I got the bevel roughed in.

[​IMG]

Well worth forging in the bevel to save on grinding. Turned out ok.

[​IMG]

and a LOT of grinding and linishing later....

[​IMG]

Then all I have to do is warm it up and bend it. Easy.

[​IMG]

Clamp it in the vice and hit it with oxyacetylene. Err. Nope. Bottles would run out before that got hot enough. I may have miss-set the bottles which are still stuck at "welding" settings. Oxy is new to me so I bunged it in the forge then hit it with the oxy.

Nope. Cracked and dented the face of my biggest hammer, hardly touched the leaf spring other than to ruin the carefully ground edge!

[​IMG]

So there it is. I need to make a flypress too, bump up the burner on my forge because this hunk of iron needs a TON of energy and I have yet to get it up to heat treat temperatures.

[​IMG]

But hey, if you look really carefully you can see where an hour of beating it with a sledge hammer has moved it. A bit....

peterbye, 8ob, Memmeddu and 6 others like this.
  2. 123hotchef Member

well it looks like you are having great fun!

3. drjim Forum Supporter

Manchester, UK
    please put the guard back on your grinder

Will!, Andy the fixer, bigegg and 9 others like this.
  4. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Truck Leaf spring is crazy stuff to work with. Ask me how I know

123hotchef likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

No.

bigegg likes this.
  6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Had a railway crowbar years back.
    Basically the same thing.
    Wish I knew where it went.

7. Parm

I’m not telling you anyway

bigegg likes this.
  8. Parm

I’ve got one, need three shredded wheat before I can lift it

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Insulated?
    Makes em nice to use when it's cold out too.

10. Parm

No.

But as an aside I’ve seen pictures on one after it’s hit an 11kv power line

Wasn’t much left of the bloke either

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    That's the nice feature of the Burke Bar, it's not that heavy. The main bar is 3mm mild steel box. 2x1 inch you're not going to bend it over your knee.

If I can bend that tip, heat treat, harden and temper it, it can lift several tons at the sharp end. I have a useful "comealong" bit like a streched out overlong spade. Dead handy for shifting stuff but you always have to find a fulcrum for it and its an inch or so of heavy wall tube, heavy as you like but it still bends.

I may have to make a smaller version from that leaf spring 123hotchef let me have. Meanwhile, I'll make up a flypress bending tool and see if I can bump up the burner in the forge.

Memmeddu and 123hotchef like this.
  12. mechman Member

Rambo managed it no probs .

13. Parm

It’s gonna be one hell of a job to put a bend in that bar

14. Wallace

Wallace Member

I hope you were lucky enough to have the disc pieces go away from you this time, without a guard you leave a nice open 360° destruction path and your fingers are the closest. A friend of mine had one burst a while back and took most of it in the face and upper lip WITH the guard fitted.

Arclikeharrypotter likes this.
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I always stand to one side, wear gloves and full face mask with glasses under.

It didn't fly apart, one bit got jammed in the cut. I appreciate the concern but until someone designs a decent guard that doesn't make using a grinder a pain in the ****, I choose to take the risk.

16. Yamhon Member

I find that guy a little annoying to listen to; I much prefer Andrew's channel. Although I keep going back to his videos, have to respect his knowledge and experience.

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Go on then, you big sexy beast of a tease... just how do you know?

Parm and Wallace like this.
  18. mechman Member

When you look at u tube etc it seems that the yanks are impervious to sparks burns etc, no gloves, guards goggles, overalls, in general no ppe or is that just Hollywood engineering. I defo wouldn't be with the guard.

ronan, Hopefuldave and Wallace like this.
  19. Wallace

Wallace Member

It only takes a little thought when cutting/grinding/sanding to keep an eye on the position of the guard leading and trailing edges in relation to your safety. :thumbup:

Sexy beast, must be those sunglasses. Bed springs is my guess as you said big! :scared:

Perhaps this is your chance to take up the challenge and design a safe guard for a multi purpose tool even the Amarican YouTuber's would want to use. :)

20. Turbo Member

There is no reason not to use a guard for a slitting disc, the most likely disc to shatter in use. :vsad: A guard will give you more than enough disc exposed to do any cutting, just adjust the guard to suit! I know those Bosch grinders require a hex key to move them, I keep mine cable tied to the lead. Some grinders like Metabos have a no tool guard adjustment.

IMHO there are very few situations where you can't use a guard on a grinder, the only time mine are removed are with a sanding backing pad & a rotary wire brush. By the large number of injuries caused by using a grinder without a disc it is sheer madness to use one unguarded!

MattF, Gritineye, ronan and 4 others like this.
Advertisements