Bloody locking wheel nuts

1. tom2207 Member

and water at the first application of brakes too.

2. Steveblade

Steveblade New Member

pedrobedro and Tom are correct, the grooves just clear dust, gasses and steam produced from the heating. Grooves trailing in the direction of rotation would seem to make sense to fling the dust and crap clear, cenrifugal forces would aid this to. The opposite way would try to scoop it towards the middle. Doubt you'd notice any difference unless they were clogged with crap though.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:15 AM
  3. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Can’t remember what the ones on the truck were when we got it nor can I remember what we put on after all the trouble. Still got the old ones in the scrap pile

4. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

First ones have the grooves but no holes, no idea which way they were facing. The ones we put on are just standard, pads appear to be lasting ok.

Kayos likes this.
  5. sako243

sako243 Member

Biggest pain I get (not in motor trade) is tow eyes which is basically the same thing. Couple of winters ago had a few people look at me oddly with a Defender which had a winch and raised take get out and start pushing people in the snow and ice.

Had a few drivers ask me if I could give them a tow and I'd reply with "can I?". Leave them stew for a minute and then ask - do you have your towing eye in the car? No? Well that's why I asked if I could.

Often easier to get out and push because most of the time they're being muppets and just need a little push to get them going again.

6. Kayos

Kayos Member

Round 2 went much like round 1, except I didnt attempt the welding stage

Remove ring, grind lip off, apply heat, smash extractor on

20200630_130356.jpg

20200630_130354.jpg

Migmac and mpats like this.
  7. Kayos

Kayos Member

These pagid pads haven't done much, will be keeping an eye on these as I don't want to ruin the new discs

I ended up with EBC pads in the Disco and the Fiat 500, they have been great and I will use them on the L200 when its time to swap

8. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Our replacement pads after initial brake failure were pagid! Lasted 4K/5k.The ones in now are past that mileage, possible 8k on them

9. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

I’ve had some success in the past making a key when it didn’t come with the car.

managed to rough the shape out and hammer the new key into the bolt. Worked a treat with a pair of stilsons

AB4C63AD-B901-438F-8C23-52439015D564.jpeg

Kayos likes this.
  10. Kayos

Kayos Member

AA have a tool thats sort of the right shape, they smash it in to form it then use it to remove. These were very tight with no sign of any grease

11. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

Oh, I didn’t know there was such a thing! Suppose they get it a lot...
    those were tight too, I think the hammer and chisel treatment before hand helped free of a bit of crust so they’d come. Surprising how hard those bolts can be, made a right mess of one or two of my favourite chisels!

12. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

My sons boss has a set of fancy mcdancy locking wheel nut removers, they don’t fit all cars. They don’t fit onto Ford Fiesta ones, not enough room between the offending nut and wheel

Kayos likes this.
Advertisements