Bloody locking wheel nuts

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

New brakes on the L200, how hard can it be?

Barely touched the bar and the locking key disintegrated. Not saying the lad who fitted the rear tyres abused the key but he had no issue removing the rears

Tried welding a nut on, didn't work but ive never had much luck with wheel nuts, other nuts bolts and studs yes, wheels no.

I used a grinder and a cold chisel to remove the security ring and a reverse thread extractor. Spent 30 minutes looking for my impact gun to remember it's in Bradford

The offending item

20200629_190219.jpg

Had some spare nuts as I wasn't planning to refit them

Worth it in the end

20200629_162301.jpg

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

That’s a common fault on those... I forgot to mention that bit

swap them for normal ones as unless it’s on bling rims Iv never heard of them being nicked

jerrytug, slim_boy_fat and jsf55 like this.
  3. Kayos

Kayos Member

Ive not seen wheels being nicked for a long time

jerrytug, mike os, owas and 3 others like this.
  4. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I take all the locking nuts off and replace them with normal nuts

5. Kayos

Kayos Member

Was my plan, didnt expect it to fail on the first go!

Its had a set of pads in once, no grease on anything though

Mr Roo likes this.
  6. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I took ours off as soon as we got our truck.
    You’ll get a new key very easily if you have the code, if you haven’t the code the online places can work out what you need from a quality picture of the locking nut.

slim_boy_fat, Mr Roo and Kayos like this.
  7. stuvy

stuvy Member

My old apprentice said the cool wheels lads get on finance get nicked

8. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Some locking wheel bolts & nuts are better designs than others

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

Got to agree with that, the ones with 3 oddly spaced pins are pretty good, these are rubbish

stuvy and Mr Roo like this.
  10. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

The VAG ones are pretty good & the ones I used on an MX5 were pretty good, None of this chocolate chinese rubbish

11. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

I got a phonecall from a local garage the other day for a similar reason...

bloody locking wheel nuts..!

• F4EF3DB7-495B-43A5-8FAC-5B9FF74F2E10.jpeg
    • CFCEA568-F0C6-49D7-AF23-62AFB4225037.jpeg
    Kayos likes this.
  12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I always say to people that if they insist on keeping them always undo them and take them out before letting a tyre bay of garage loose on them. There is absolutley no need for anyone to be buzzing on/off with impact guns.

Some of the Land Rover ones have a bad rep but what I think happens is people don't engage them fully then buzz them with the impact gun and it just spins the outer guide section so the key doesn't grip the main body. The root cause is often corrosion.

Taking them off is the first thing I do on any of my cars.

stuvy, slim_boy_fat and mike os like this.
  13. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    @Kayos did your discs come with any info on which way round to put them? Many people default to having the outer edge of the grooves pointing rearwards but on many high end performance cars like Porsche/Ferrari I've seen them pointing forwards. I don't remember any of the ones I've fitted having details about fit. I did read an article explaining why they should point forwards but I can't find it.

14. Kayos

Kayos Member

Huge debate on this, according to the info I have received previously the pic above is wrong but ive run them the other way and they just grated the pads in weeks

I may swap them around but I'm not ashamed to admit I've fitted them because I like the look

15. tom2207 Member

I do loads and loads of land rover ones ,, corrosion and land rover go hand in hand but the wheel nuts are a total pain , in a workshop with a welder they are a pain , on the side of a motorway in the wet and the dark , not a mission .
    Standard alloys just dont really get nicked any more , maybe different if you have an expensive set , I saw a set of 22 inch , from memory , diamond cut overfinch alloys on a range rover ,,, they cost 7k with tyres . [ i googled them as they just looked expensive , and boys they were.]

stuvy likes this.
  16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It is a huge debate and I regularly run the physics through my head, in a high performance situation scrubbing the pads is part of the purpose. I've seen stuff where different brands recommend different things. I think it probably also makes a difference if the grooves go all the way to the edge of the disc.

17. Kayos

Kayos Member

I ran them "backwards" so opposite to the above on a powerful car and they were fantastic even with std pads, I've never liked fast road or race pads, too much dust

tom2207 likes this.
  18. mpats

mpats Forum Supporter

Aberdeen
    Yup, this for me too. Especially on the better halfs car. She would probably have a good go at fitting the spare if she had a puncture but I'd rather she didn't have to wrestle with those stupid things.
    Doubt we are much at risk of having ours nicked anyway.

Migmac and Kayos like this.
  19. Wallace

Wallace Member

Are the discs machined the same or handed?

20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The thing with locking wheel nuts is the first time most people realise the key is missing when they need it urgenting for a tyres or brakes

Ashley Burton likes this.
Advertisements