Bloody locking wheel nuts

1. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    In your picture the front of the vehicle is on the right?

2. Kayos

Kayos Member

They are handed

3. Kayos

Kayos Member

Yes, drivers side, right hand drive

4. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Hmmm, that’s interesting

5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    All the ones I've fitted have been handed but only in the sense that they are machined the opposite way to each other. I not seen one where they said left or right

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I can see sensible arguments for both ways round. When I fitted my first set I did some research and could not find anything conclusive.

7. Kayos

Kayos Member

Just been through the pics, did the Disco ones as above and that did 2 years and probably 50k miles

tom2207 likes this.
  8. tom2207 Member

thats the way I thought they were meant to go , for water clearing, my bikes all go that way .

9. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

They are possibly the biggest pain in the motor trade.
    I hate them with a passion.
    When you ask the customer were it is
    "be in the car somewhere"
    OK it is 57quid an hour for me to look for it
    They soon find it
    I have removed hundreds of the nasty things
    Some of the Volvo with a deep recess are nasty
    Weld a tube to the nut with a stick rod up the middle always works
    The tube protects the wheel the welding heat helps as well

mpats, Parm, Migmac and 4 others like this.
  10. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Just watched a video where the company said it the vents between the faces that are more important and that it didn't matter which way the grooves point. They said Brembo say the outside the groove should contact the pad first which I guess is why it's common on high performance cars to see them that way round. The video I watched did say if you get unusual noises to swap them round.

11. Kayos

Kayos Member

Disco front, more like 60k, many hundreds off road as well.

2 sets of pads and they were in good nick when I sold it

IMG_0065.JPG

12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    My V70 came without a key, as you say there is no way you can even get anything in there it's so tight. Local dealers keep a full set but sods law said mine was one of the 3 they had sold.

doubleboost likes this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

thats my pet hate and ive removed enough tyres to know they have used a gun on those nuts when theres no need

even worse when you get a flat and you cant wretch it off because some lazy git used a gun instead of a bar

i use a gun to screw them on and a little bit then swap to a bar instead for last torque on

14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'd have fitted that to the n/s front - it'll be interesting to learn if/when anyone comes up with a definite, 100% 'for sure' answer.

15. Kayos

Kayos Member

When I took the pic I thought id done it wrong however I did the Disco like that without issue

After using this style for 15+ years I only know 1 thing, there is no definitive correct answer

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Me too, only based on how I've seen them on top end stuff, that's the way Brembo do it but from the stuff I've seen tonight it's the internal vanes that are more important.

I always treat these things like an episode of Myth Busters, if someone can't give me a proper explanation of how something works a certain way then I'll do the way that seems right to me.

For something as important as braking you'd think it would 100% but there doesn't seem to be a solid right/wrong

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Kayos, you know the grief we suffered with our brakes. I’m now wondering if the discs were on the wrong way. Going to check the truck tomorrow and see what way the discs we put on are fitted.

18. Kayos

Kayos Member

Were they drilled and grooved?

19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The more I think about it the more it drives me mad. If the caliper is on the leading edge,trailing edge or even on top would make a difference. In some situation the the disc would be pushing the pad upwards/outwards or downward and outwards but the disc was on the other side they could pulling the pads inwards/upwards or inwards/downwards. The vehicle and brake design could all be influencing factors. If the grooves go right to the edge then if the grooves face forward the airflow could be scouped down the groove if they face backwards they air would be sucked from the inside.

I have no idea :laughing:

rtcosic, Kayos and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The idea is not for air to get in it's to release the gas and dust that builds up between the disc and the pad surface.

mike os likes this.
Advertisements