Biiiiig concrete slab

1. jimbo84 Member

I saw something the other day about BA's sim's they look like good fun but the stats were something like £10 million each and they had 16 of them :oexpensive hobby.

2. AdW Member

You also need to factor in the cost of excavation and disposal of whatever the material is that you are sitting on. Excavation of rock can take some doing. If the ground is contaminated then it could be £££ In landfill tax, haulage and gate fees.

Ton-up and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. cardiffrob Member

We've got 3 Sims and up to 8 more coming. Cheapest one for public hire is £300 per hour (all in)

4. Climber

Climber Member

Blimey, it wasn't many years ago we used to hire a helicopter for not much more than that, and we could actually go somewhere in those.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. cardiffrob Member

BA charge £700 for the same Sim. London prices, eh? :)

6. LiftedDisco New Member

Not so simple to cost something like this remotely as there are a number of potential variable:

How thick is the current slab - this will need to be saw cut to size and then excavated. Presumably the existing slab will be something like 300mm thick and reinforced... getting this lot broken out in an orderly manner will be an interesting task, particularly if working inside an existing hangar.

So, assuming you are then going 15’ (or about 5m) deep, you’ll need to consider protecting the excavated edge to avoid collapse of the rest of the slab / substrate.

What is the bearing pressure of the existing substrate that you are then proposing using as the base of the new slab - it’s possible you might need to excavate deeper and then bring in Type 1 or similar to consolidate as a substrate.

Then, new reinforcement, concrete and any floor finish (your photo shows resin floor) and so it goes on...!

Let me know if you need more info!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. cardiffrob Member

[​IMG]

Pic of the previous 3 slabs going in. These holes were backfilled to sit flush so new holes will need to be bigger and deeper.
    Same people are coming on Thursday to quote.
    [​IMG]

rtcosic likes this.
  8. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Your image posting didn't work, so now you have many disappointed 'followers'.

9. cardiffrob Member

hole1.jpg hole2.jpg Do these work? I can see the ones above. Strange.

Structural surveyor coming on Thursday.:thumbup:

10. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Pictures of Big Holes.

Happy Followers.

11. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

That origional floor looks fairly thin and without steel, was expecting to see steel and expansion joints.

Been researching concrete floors as Im trying to get planning for a farm type shed.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  12. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

13. Pete.

Pete. Member

Skinny slab, floor saw to cut the concrete and a big excavator. 15 foot deep at that size needs a 20 tonner I guess. You might JUST reach it with a 14 ton machine.

One thing I will say is those openings are in no way adequately protected even though they only look about 4 foot deep. Don't let anyone make a 4.5m deep hole with just tape and cones around it whatever you do.

14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@cardiffrob Looks like the decisions about having this sim have been made and it's 'all systems go'?

15. cardiffrob Member

TBH, I'd rather they didn't buy the Sim they have in mind but 'the Price is Right'. For an extra £400,000 the vendors will move it here from Europe, set it up, run the certification process and leave me with a fully running machine. Very tempting. Just need a hole to put it in. Still works out a £1/2M less than another one they had their eyes on.

slim_boy_fat, mike os and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  16. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

And they are worried about the cost of the hole?

Shox Dr and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Why don't they join all the pits together and leave the floor flush as is instead of raised pads? Probably get away with less concrete and have a much more stable pad, at least the building could be handed back at a later date without having to chop the place about.

Bob

Shox Dr likes this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Member

I think the other holes are already cast in flush as base pads but this one has to be sunk for the larger unit to have headroom.

19. cardiffrob Member

Yup. Those 3 holes were done 5 years ago. New one would need to go down the far end. Lots of steel in these blocks so zero chance of getting one out of the hole

20. cardiffrob Member

Some progress.

Structural Engineer came out. He had poured the original pads so had some background knowledge that proved helpful.

So, 400+ tons of Concrete and maybe 12 tons of steel reinforcement. It needs a 1.5 extension beyond the 'legs' to get a wall up and still leave a metre to slide the jacks round. To get jacks down requires about 20 metres of ramp. Ooops....had forgotten about that. Finally tally was about £125,000.

Plan B is now to rent a concrete pad outside, remove the old concrete, dig down, French drains, new pad, steel pillars rescued from a condemned old building nearby, roof and clad with new. Cost closer to £75,000 and we'd be left with a decent building afterwards with no disruption inside our own shell.

Management meeting on Monday to look over my 'options'.

Advertisements