Biiiiig concrete slab

1. cardiffrob Member

Here's a strange one.

We've been offered a flight Sim which is a big old sod. The legs are so wide and long that we'd need to sink a hole in the Hangar floor to fit it into. I'd need to cut out a triangle of floor with 30 foot on each edge and then sink it about 15 feet deep before filling it with 6-8 feet of steel reinforced concrete.

Any suggestions for a ball-park price for a job like that? Guesses to the nearest £10,000?

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Modify the legs.?

Gonna be hard concrete there too inside a hanger

mtt.tr likes this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

depends on what you call a flight sim to what we would call a flight sim

a flight sim to me is a moving platform geared to simulate real time therefore would need substantial footings

a flight sim of the other is just plain screens within a purpose built room

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I suspect it's gonna be the former, picture's would hurt if possible Rob. :D

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Am I the only one wondering if it would be quicker, cheaper and easier to lay a new slab and erect a portal frame building over it???

6. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

That's a big hole... 150m3 excavated and 80 to 100m3 concrete..... will need temp support, and rebar.... lots

30k or so depends on the actual spec

7. cardiffrob Member

Like this. About 12 tons total, hence the 6-8 feet thick slab as a mass to keep it upright. It needs to be sunk in to ensure clearance from the roof.

Legs can't be changed since it would require recertification and the complete rewriting of the software....not a nice proposition. I'd guess between 100 and 200 cubic metres??

[​IMG]

jimbo84 and Wightsparks like this.
  8. Climber

Climber Member

I have a client who deals with foundations, foundation repair, piling and house lifting if you want to speak to someone who knows the ins and outs of this kind of stuff.

They recently fixed a concrete base for a wind turbine, and they have massive turn over forces on them. I think they used deep piles for stability rather than 100's of tons of concrete.

9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Nope. Thought that too.

10. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, It's not so much the weight, but that weight lurching and heaving about at 6 to 8 feet off the ground.

Colin

slim_boy_fat and Maker like this.
  11. cardiffrob Member

Not an option, for various legal/certification reasons. It would also need to be about 11m high We don't own the building and they won't let me raise the roof by a couple of feet. It needs lots of mass to keep it upright and vibration-free.

I just need to be able to give a guestimate of the costs of a new slab on Monday so I'll start with what Mike said above.

ta.

12. Pete.

Pete. Member

What the demo will cost depends on how thick the existing slab is. How thick is the existing slab?

WorkshopChris and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  13. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Id guess in excess of £100k

14. Pete.

Pete. Member

Closer 250 cube Mike if you allow enough excavation to put a 300mm thick wall around the 10m triangle.

mtt.tr and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

What would be the current market value of this sim, 'as is, where is' ?

Would it be multiples [and if so, how many] of what it's going to cost you to move it, have all the site works carried out as you describe, instal it therein/on and then re-commission? Also, how much demand will there be for pupils/pilots to use it [i.e. used to capacity], and what sort of nett revenue will it bring to the business?

You might find it may not make commercial sense and it'd be better left where it is. Just thinking out of the box...:ashamed:

More Amps likes this.
  16. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Might have previously belonged to a certain tour operator and the landlord wants their building back...:whistle:

17. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Sod the concrete, I want to know how you get offered a flight sim?

Couple of bloke down the pub?

Edit: and more to the point how do we get to have a go

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  18. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    pawsnizzy likes this.
  19. cardiffrob Member

The website above is only for lightweight training devices (like this... ) rather than Airline Level D stuff. I run a Sim centre for Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) so I deal with Sims running from 2 to about 10 Million that require massive concrete mass pads.

Just been having a discussion about a new 737-Max Sim. Might not go for that one, just yet.:whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=OTNIXZSsbtk
    Went to look at some stuff from this crowd recently. Very clever gadget that hangs over a swimming pool with a wave machine.

20. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

Advertisements