Beginner hobby/auto maintainer training

1. TerryPAG Member

I was passing through Bristol on Friday, so I called at Machine Mart Lawrence Hill and bought some more 5mm thread tips. Just as well, when I got home at midnight there was the parcel from Machine Mart containing more tips, but they were industrial tips, 6mm thread. I fitted a new tip Saturday morning and got welding again. I am improving now, but still not welding in long straight lines. You say it may take about an hour of practice, so I will persevere. Thanks again for your help. I will let you know when I am ready to progress, or need more help.

Thanks again,

Terry

2. TerryPAG Member

Hi CJ,
    tell me again how you move your torch hand steadily and slowly! Adrian laid his left hand, like a clenched fist, on the sheet being welded, and pushed his right hand along his forefinger using his left thumb Last Wednesday I think you were resting one hand on the material being welded, and slowly slid your torch hand along it. I still tend to move both hands together.

Is this how you do it? As a right handed man, should I weld from left to right, or right to left?

Best wishes,

Terry

3. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Sorry, did I miss this?
    I've been away from civilisation almost entirely, recently - so it's not un-likely!

I would normally weld from left to right, but I'm mostly left handed - so I'd expect you to be going the opposite way.
    If I were to weld from right to left, I'd have to either change hands, change my position or turn the work-piece around to avoid a "pulling" motion.

(Pulling is thought of as ok when using flux-cored, gas-less wire, so I've heard - and is conveniently in keeping with the saying "Where there's slag, you drag" (the electrode), which would apply to arc/mma/stick welding, that leaves a layer of slag on top of the weld, as does gas-less mig wire, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.)

I think the main reason for resting the torch-hand on my "spare" hand, is more to maintain the correct torch angle - raising the torch hand will naturally make the angle steeper, which can be too shallow, if the torch hand is resting directly on the work-piece.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, I suspect your travel speed might be too quick still - maybe?
    Anyway, just as before - if you get any problems with any aspect of it, give me a call, PM, or even just post on here - I can always drop round.

And that's not just because the space/layout you've got there is a bit of a dream-scape to work in, of course!

All the Best,
    CJ

Advertisements