Beginner hobby/auto maintainer training

1. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Ahoy there, Terry,

Pulling the trigger at all is good, so any hint of success, has to be called progress.
    More than likely, it raises more questions than you had before, but it’s still progress, so good on you, anyway!

It seems you’ve got some steel, which is good, as I didn’t really know how much I’d need to cut up for you both.

I’d been thinking about gas, too - and was wondering if either of you guys had anything sorted as yet?
    It sounds like you already have, and maybe @adrianmaul has too, as he’s been using his before now?

Your place sounds twice as good as mine for this (large, well-lit & with parking!) - whereas my place is a normal sized garage, but cluttered enough to seem small, and for me to have to make the space clear in advance, regardless of what I’m making/doing.

So, if it doesn’t seem too much of a last minute change, I’m happy calling over to yours, assuming that’s ok with Adrian, but I’ll send a PM to you both to sort out the details of where - or you could end up with half a dozen people showing up at once!

Speak soon,
    All the Best,
    CJ

2. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hey - do I feel ignorant!

I'm not the most observant person in the world, and I've just seen your reply!

And I realise it looks like you've just been edged out, and forgotten about!

If we were still meeting at my cooped-up little dump - I'd say come along, too, but I can't now - 'cos it's probably not going to be at mine.

But I also just wanted to say that should you be up the M4 around Bristol, Bath or even right down this way - the offer works both ways - i.e. the kettle would be on here.

Might one day have to do a west-country meet-up - everyone likes tip, tricks & advice - and there's so many of us around here!

All the Best,
    CJ

3. TerryPAG Member

A small bottle of CO2 came with the welder, together with a reel of 0.6 wire.
    It took courage to set the thing up, put on the mask and pull the trigger. After much fiddling with settings I achieved welds of a sort, but have many questions. If others turn up they would be welcome, on site parking is limited but street parking is available. I expect all Adrian and I want is tips of how to progress. I am not sure how to hold the torch, how to maintain the gap between tip and plate (by sound?), and see where I am welding.
    My thanks to CJ for volunteering to give this lesson.

4. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Nice to meet you both earlier. I have to apologise - I sometimes have difficulty shutting-up - interrupting is fine (and necessary) at times.
    Wallace can also vouch that I do go on, just a bit!

TerryPAG, going slowly enough and maintaining that (much slower!) speed will sort out almost all your niggles, the only other thing is maintaining a constant arc-length. All of this should come very quickly now, and if not, give us a call - or even call over here. It's no problem - and I won't be finished until you find it as addictive/therapeutic as I do!

The welds you're wanting to do on the 0.8mm will seem much easier, after only an hour (or less) of constantly welding in straight lines, but keeping the speed and arc-length (and a nice steep torch angle!) consistent. It just suddenly starts working on the thinner material.
    The positions you'll have to weld in to do those sills, will seem harder than the original learning was, but your (quite enviable) workshop set-up, will help a lot!

Adrianmaul, I expect you're probably bending tubing, and fabricating awkward shapes, having got a cuple of joints covered, outside corner, and fillet seem to be already dealt with.

As you said earlier, one of the biggest steps forward this evening might have been peeling the film from the inner lens of those masks - having said that, I had just tried both of them, and assumed they were just quite blurry and fuzzy as standard!

Anyway, should you need any help with the bike-frame fabrication, tools etc - give us a shout, whenever.

And if either of you want to get more torch-time in, here or over yours is fine.

Of course, if either of you need a second set of hands while doing anything mechanical, give us a shout on that too - It's worth helping out just to learn some of those shamefully basic things I've not yet learned - and yes, I know, I've left it late!

Off for a drink now, to wash those pills down!

All the Best,
    CJ

PS - Mr Pag - Thanks for the hospitality!

5. adrianmaul New Member

6. TerryPAG Member

My thanks to Country Joe and Adrianmaul for their company and advice tonight. I have ordered the trolley and connector, now I must find the welding gas shop at Kings, Farrington Gurney.

7. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I'm down that way (R J King's yard) quite a lot, (almost every day) so if you ever want a lift down there, it's no problem.
    It's an odd little hidden away scrapyard, but without the traditional savage wolf-like dog!

It's not that far from either of us - you'd be back home, all gassed up, within an hour!

All the Best,
    CJ

8. TerryPAG Member

Thanks for advice and encouragement, CJ. and sourcing advice AM. I now have trolley, hose, regulator and bottle of gas. I have just tried to move torch more slowly, and maintain arc length and torch angle, but have not cracked it yet. I appreciate my motion is a bit jerky, but if I go too slowly I tend to burn through 0.8mm plate. I am working with lowest current, settings MIN and 1, 0.6mm wire, speed 5 (mm/sec.?). I am not sure how best to hold the torch. Right hand has to be index finger on trigger, left hand can be anywhere - with the mask that came with the welder it had to be free to hold the mask. Adrian rested his left hand on the job and slid the torch along with his left thumb. I like to rest my left hand on the job, holding the torch near the tip.
    It's great having removed the green film from the inside of the mask! Also good to have a reliable and constant gas supply. Maybe I should practise on the thicker plate you left here.

Best wishes,

Terry

9. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Yes, definitely better to get up to speed on the thicker stuff - it'll fall into place much easier that way, as opposed to burning through the thinner stuff.

The welds on the thicker material become easier more quickly, as your travel speed won't be so critical, and you can get used to the feel of it, without the frustration of frequent start/stops from burning through, etc.
    Even when the thicker material seems easy, the thinner sheet will still be more of a challenge.

The thinner material will seem to want want just enough power to keep the arc alight, without burning through - but when taking torch angle, arc-length and travel speed into account at the same time, it'll seeem like a bit of a balancing act.

Being as comfortable as possible isn't to be underestimated, either - by the time it becomes easy on the bench, it will still be "interesting" when under the sill of a car!

It doesn't sound very productive, but runnung out lots of parallel weld beads on the thicker material will produce results, just by virtue of getting more accustomed to the general motion.

If you feel things aren't moving quickly enough, or want to be sure of anything, just give us a ring sometime.

All the Best,
    CJ

10. TerryPAG Member

Thanks for the quick response. Do you hold the torch with one hand or two?

11. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I'd always use one hand to hold the torch, and the other is really just to rest on.
    Otherwise, you can end up holding the torch at too shallow an angle.

Also, it's very hard to maintain much fine control while waving freely in the air.
    I'd liken it to the difference between writing nomally, with your hand resting on the page - and then witing the same thing, only this time, not letting that hand touch the page - just the pen tip.

I know it's not closely related, but writing while gripping the far end of the pen would reduce most, if not all of your finer control, makng the handwriting untidy in very much the same way.

Are you forging ahead with this today? If so, give us a ring/message and I can always call round.
    I might not have covered quite enough the other day, as I had to rush off for the next round of medications.

But just one hand holding that torch!

All the Best,
    CJ

12. TerryPAG Member

I was practising on the thicker sheet this morning, but seem to have welded the wire to the nozzle. Now it won't feed. I have to go out now to admit a man from EDF to connect a meter at my print shop. If you could call round any time tomorrow that would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Terry

13. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Yeah, of course I can.
    I can't be sure exactly when, but I'll ring first - just to make sure it's a convenient time, or to arrange for later on.

Have you run out of any that steel from the other day? If so, I'll bring some more along with me.

Also, your earth clamp doesn't grip very tightly, either - so I'd make sure it has good contact on a very clean/shiny area of your workpiece.

Until the 'morrow,

CJ

14. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Just remembered the tips. Do you have any spares, just in case the current one is beyond saving?

I don't know if SIP Migmate ones are the same or not, or even if I have any left.
    I have a feeling I gave them to a friend (along with the welder), but I'll take a gander, anyway - just in case they'll fit, and bring them if I find them.

The Kemppi ones I'm using lately look different to any I've used before, so am fairly certain they'd be useless in any other torch!

All the Best,
    CJ

15. TerryPAG Member

Thanks. You left 2 sheets of heavier steel last Wednesday, both fairly welded. More would be appreciated.

I have no spare 0.6mm tip. I have a 0.8 and 1.0 tip. Where might I buy spares?

Terry

16. TerryPAG Member

Screwfix do 5 packs of Impax tips 0.6mm. I have ordered a pack, available tomorrow.

17. TerryPAG Member

Tips available after midday.

18. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I'm stuck out and about at the moment, and not all that competent with a phone, but I think the "weldequip" link, at the top of the page would stock them, or any of the machine mart (but obviously not around here!) branches.
    I'm expecting to be back after around an hour, and I'll be of more use then, but everywhere will be closing!

You can always use mine if necessary, they're not hugely different.
    I think you might have used it the other evening - the torch is slightly heavier, but the principle is the same.

Must run,
    CJ

19. TerryPAG Member

Thanks. Machine Mart certainly do them, and they look like the Impax ones I have ordered from Screwfix. Anyhow, I have ordered some from Machine Mart, and a couple of shrouds, and a swan neck, all spares I shall need in the future.

20. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Ha! It must've taken about 10 minutes to type all of that, earlier.
    It wasn't the small phone screen, though - I didn't realise I didn't have glasses on!

I'd best come in the afternoon, after the tips have got there.
    If it was a euro-connector type, you could just plug in my torch, instead.

Just seen your reply - and I think I read somewhere on here that the impax tips are interchangeable with yours, so you might be lucky with the others, too.

It is sometimes possible to grip the end of the wire with pliers, and pull it out of the end of the torch - especially if it's got a molten ball on the end of the wire to give the pliers something to grip.

I'd have no idea how to change a swan-neck - but that may have been what the faint rubbery smell was last Wednesday!

All the Best,
    CJ

Advertisements