Beginner hobby/auto maintainer training

1. adrianmaul New Member

Hi, I live near Bath in Somerset and am looking for a basic course to get me started MIG welding. I have a Clarke 135 welder and have had a little go and can usually make fairly strong welds but they are really untidy. Is there anybody out there that can either help me improve, or recommend a course or someone that can help. Thanks, Adrian

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

@pdg is your neck of the woods poss might know someone

3. adrianmaul New Member

Thanks

4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Look at Bath Collage, Lacum collage and Trowbridge collage for evening class's.

Plus if you look at some local clubs they may have small local courses you can undertake.

5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

we years ago had a other place that was only 1.1 miles away that if we did not have something in stock we used to say we have a place just down the road in xyz you can go there and pick it up

half the time the responce was "WHERE IM NOT GOING ALL THAT WAY"

you would think it was near the south of france its even down hill if you triped up you would roll all the way there

Mr Roo likes this.
  6. adrianmaul New Member

Thanks, have looked at Bath and course on offer seems much more than I need, will look at Lackham and Trowbridge

7. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

It's not all that difficult, and I'm not that far from you.
    I can drop by sometime and give you a few pointers, if you like.

That's assuming I'm not un-knowingly volunteering myself to give these pointers in the rain!
    If that's the case, and you can get over here - you can do some over here, if you want.
    I don't have a clarke, but the principle is the same.
    But I might need an hour or so of notice, as my workspace is usually not all that clear, here!

And wednesday is out!

PM me if you like.

All the Best,
    CJ

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. adrianmaul New Member

Hi, thanks ever so much for this, I am in no hurry as this is a hobby thing, and can come over to you either during a weekend or in the week. I have some time off in November that would work for me really well (14th to 17th) if that works for you. I can bring my Clarke over or use yours, again whichever suits you best. Just tell me what works for you and i'll work round that.

9. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Well, whenever suits, really.

I dunno if the days between Tuesday 14th & Friday 17th of November are totally clear, as it’s too far out for me to really even guess where I’ll be, as arrangements happen out of the blue, at shortish notice, and aren’t always adjustable - but give me a nudge nearer the time, anyway!

Maybe a week or so, beforehand?

I’ll be much more likely to know what I’m up to, by then.

I shouldn’t set aside too much time, you’ll probably be impatient to be doing it all yourself well within an hour.

All the Best,
    CJ

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. adrianmaul New Member

OK thanks, will do

11. TimeRich__

TimeRich__ Member

did you get sorted with this?

I've taught myself MIG welding on a similar welder over the last couple of years, doing a couple of fairly substantial bits of automotive repair.

Lots of notes relating to it all and lots of youtube videos viewed; didn't realise it at the time, but many of them completely irrelevant to my application.

You got a specific project in mind?

Might be able to share some tips, tricks & advice online but do feel free to let me know if you're gonna be heading east up the M4, discuss it over a cuppa.

12. TerryPAG Member

Hi, adrianmaul. I live in Midsomer Norton, 4 miles from you, and have just unpacked my Clarke 135TE welder. I have not welded in my life, but running 6 Vauxhall Omegas I find a need for welding skills. I have so far failed to find any welding courses locally, bother. Omega Forum members tell me I can 'just pick it up on the job', but a course would help, and save time.

13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

I'm sure there are members on here that could prob give pointers to help you out I would help out but I'm rubbish at welding so not much point in me helping

14. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hey, Terry - welcome to the Forum.
    If you have no luck between now & then - you and @adrianmaul could cook up a day, (between the 14th and 17th of next month seems (see post 10) a handy time!)

You can definitely 'just pick it up on the job', but the first experimental few hours can be condensed into a much shorter time, with someone to shoot questions at, or even demonstrate what they're saying.

Post no 8 applies to you, too - I'm only about 10-15 mins from either of you two - so the idea of combining things is just a convenient way (or a sign of innate laziness, dependng on your view!) of doing things.

Obviously you've just un-packed it this afternoon, so you might be extremely impatient, or in a hurry to get up and running, if so just send a PM sometime.

In fact, I'm off for a 'flu jab at 1630 today about 10 mins from M-S-N, so if you're in a massive hurry 1700-1930 is handy, but that's sort of assuming you have gas etc already, as mine isn't too portable, and not in the van right now, either!

Gotta rush right now,

All the Best,
    CJ

PS - I feel your frustration - I was wanting to do a welding course 15-20 years ago at the M-S-N College, but the course had stopped by the time I enquired about it.

15. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I think it was called Radstock College - not M-S-N College!

16. adrianmaul New Member

Hi, thanks for this offer. I am up for a combined tute.

17. adrianmaul New Member

Hi, Country Joe has offered to give us a tute between 14 and 17 Nov if any of those days suit you, probably not 14th for me now though as wife has planned something. Tell me if this works for you and which day is best and we will try to sort something

18. TerryPAG Member

Wednesday 15th Nov would suit me 1700-1930. 14th, 16th and 17th I have things on, unusual for me. Thanks for the generous offer, Country Joe.

19. adrianmaul New Member

Hi Country Joe, Wed 15th is also fine for me, are you happy with 17:00 to 19:30, I can come across earlier if that helps or I can come together with TerryPAG.

20. TerryPAG Member

Hi adrianmaul and County Joe,
    I have now attempted to weld with my Clarke 135, and eventually had a hint of success. I clearly have a lot to learn, and look forward to our joint lesson 1700-1930 on 15Nov17. I am happy to travel, also offer my place as venue. I have a large well lit garage and off street parking. I have the same welder as Adrian, spare 0.8mm sheet to practise on, and the wire and gas that came with the welder.

Advertisements