Anyone for Cafe........here we go again :-)

1. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Ill be making some solid brackets out of 15mm aluminium.

The brakes do indeed have separate ABS chambers but can be easily sorted with some strategic drilling :thumbup: ......ive used them in a past project (post#127 here): http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...g-wreck-rescued-from-the-spiders.44354/page-7

2. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Have been managing to get the odd hour or two on the bike over the Xmas holidays. I've been accumulating a few swing arms in my quest to convert this thing to twin shock and get away from that drag bike look using the original setup. After trying a few different ones, I've settled on an old CB350. So first things first i need to get a rough idea if a) its going to fit and b) i can get the wheel centralised and lining up at the crucial points.

IMG_8596.JPG IMG_8563.JPG IMG_8566.JPG IMG_8569.JPG IMG_8585.JPG

3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Next job is to shorten the main swing arm spindle. It was tough as old boots......several tungsten tips later its all good :doh:

Then onto making the swing arm a bit narrower to fit in the frame.

Next up is to temporarily refit the steel bushes after reaming, back into the swing arm tube. I'll be changing these to some sort of bronze on final assembly.

IMG_8587.JPG IMG_8589.JPG IMG_8590.JPG IMG_8606.JPG IMG_8611.JPG IMG_8618.JPG IMG_8619.JPG IMG_8622.JPG

4. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Time to see if it all fits and lines up........:whistle:

I think the proportions are much better with the shorter arm, and the round section material more in keeping with the rest of the frame.

IMG_8624.JPG IMG_8625.JPG IMG_8630.JPG

dazza and dobbslc like this.
  5. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Time to throw some rubber on the rims and see what its starting to look like.

IMG_8632.JPG IMG_8636.JPG IMG_8638.JPG IMG_8640.JPG IMG_8644.JPG IMG_8645.JPG

Bear, zx9, Seadog and 1 other person like this.
  6. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Managed to score a nice set of used Ohlins shocks............but all that glisters is not gold:doh:....they are a bit worse for wear, but with few hours elbow grease should clean up ok? First things first was to take the springs off so I could confirm they were actually damping !!..........Fabricated a small set of puller out of what was lying around.
    All good with no leaks or any mechanical damage. The reservoir on one shock looks worse than what it is. It had a throw away bush where the spring rubs on it, this had cracked allowing rust to eat away over the years ;)....i'll sort that out, for the price I cant complain...

IMG_8571.JPG IMG_8573.JPG IMG_8577.JPG

7. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Time to get some of the other bits precariously balanced on the frame, just to see what it will all come together like........was running out of G-clamps at one point :D:D:D

IMG_8648.JPG IMG_8653.JPG IMG_8658.JPG IMG_8661.JPG IMG_8665.JPG IMG_8668.JPG IMG_8672.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8678.JPG

KTSwain, 8ob, Burdekin and 3 others like this.
  8. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Next up is to mount the tank and fabricate the seat hoop. Before this takes place there were a few "lumps" under the powercoat where I'd be welding in some brackets etc which needed further investigation!!!

So out with the wire brush and flap wheel.....................:whistle:

believe it or not this bike, as I bought it was "only needing a few bits to finish" type of project. Purchased from a supposedly reputable mechanic who was running his own business and "had worked with a lot of the top British riders" in his past :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

say no more :vsad:

Looks like a few bracket removal jobs went horribly wrong in the past :doh:

Time to get the TIG out methinks :welder:

IMG_8685.JPG IMG_8688.JPG IMG_8693.JPG IMG_8694.JPG IMG_8698.JPG

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

What a mess he made of that!
    I look forward to the tig welding job to repair that lot, keep us posted.

lchris21 and Ian James like this.
  10. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

That's probably the reason he worked with a lot of top british riders, once they saw the quality of his work, they got rid of him :laughing:

Revs1972, Farside, zx9 and 2 others like this.
  11. RichardM Member

maybe worth stripping the rest of the frame before you start to see how many other hidden "repairs" there are.

12. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Already one step ahead of you there

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. zx9

zx9 Member

I am always amazed by how thin the tube in bike frames are. What are steel you going to patch it with @lchris21 ?

14. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Going to use a bit of the original subframe I cut off. Need to squash it a bit as the damaged section is slightly oval....

Wallace and zx9 like this.
  15. Cal Member

Bristol, UK
    I have fond memories of the DR Big, they can really go.

16. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Some people made some very fast Sound Of Singles racers out of them in the 90's! Mmm Tigcraft, Spondon, Hijera, Over Racing.......
    I need to dig out my Performace Bike mag with the article on them all. :laughing:

lchris21, Gwil and darren.a.roberts like this.
  17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    the proportions look spot on now!...very nice. glad you found and were able to fix the old repair....

jP

lchris21 likes this.
  18. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Here we are! Took some rooting around to find the magizine but here are a few poor photos of the articles.
    STR 750 DR engine in a nice frame.
    Tigcraft one with dyno chart.
    And my favourite John Laker's Yamaha SRX600, an almost stock bike that he raced and made most of the others on very trick bikes look silly!
    If you can read it I like the bit about him porting the head with a dentist's drill! :o
    20180104_181634.jpg 20180104_182216.jpg

20180104_181813.jpg

indy4x and lchris21 like this.
  19. lchris21

lchris21 Member

8000RPM........:D:D:D.........Thats gonna be fun with that big piston going up and down that that rate of knots !!!:o

20. lchris21

lchris21 Member

On a side note, and quick update on the scabby "de-lugging" job undertaken by the previous owner. I went to town a bit and ground back all the suspect areas, filled in where needed and re-dressed. The frame looks to be in decent condition with a no obvious major damage which was my main concern. Abandoned the TIG and got the big guns out with the mig :welder:.....I've sorted the suspect filled holes and bad de-lug jobs. Took the opportunity to remove a few extra lugs while I was at it. I'm confident its not going to collapse underneath me and spit me into a hedge now :rolleyes:

IMG_8705.JPG IMG_8712.JPG IMG_8718.JPG IMG_8721.JPG IMG_8722.JPG IMG_8726.JPG IMG_8734.JPG IMG_8739.JPG IMG_8743.JPG IMG_8745.JPG

KTSwain, indy4x and Wallace like this.
Advertisements