Anyone for Cafe........here we go again :-)

1. lchris21

lchris21 Member

No just 3 pot. Same as I used on my last build. Opposing piston tend to be bulky towards the hub side hence why I abandoned the radial calipers off the gsxr. You can use them with a custom hub available from the states.....but they cost a few bucks !!!

2. lchris21

lchris21 Member

11 months :whistle:..................time just flies by these days. Its been a busy year what with a new job etc... 2017-18 Winter build season is upon us, time to "try" and get some garage time on the DR800.

Right, where was I?

Back to the front end, after chopping and changing the forks/brakes I left off deciding to make a new spindle for the bottom yoke. The original Aprilia one was too short, plus the bottom bearing was not sitting correctly onto the lower clamp.

Time to fire up the lathe, first time for a few months :D

• IMG_7921.JPG
    • IMG_8292.JPG
    • IMG_8294.JPG
    • IMG_8301.JPG
    • IMG_8304.JPG
    • IMG_8314.JPG
    • IMG_8316.JPG
    • IMG_8318.JPG
    ronan, slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

After a root around in the back of the shed, and disturbing a few spiders I found the forks and got them on to see how it looked....

• IMG_8323.JPG
    • IMG_8324.JPG
    8ob and ronan like this.
  4. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Been chopping and changing my ideas for tank/seat combo's over the last few months. Still undecided, but got the angle grinder out and started removing some metal work to get a better idea. Changed my mind again about a tank, so going to wait till one turns off before chopping any more stuff off. Slow start to the build season, but progress all the same.....lets see how much time I can get on it over the coming dark winter months :welder:
    IMG_8329.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8335.JPG IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8343.JPG

KTSwain, Farside, ronan and 7 others like this.
  5. Cris B

Cris B Every day welding is a school day

Nice. Are you going to keep the Dunlop liveried tank? I think it looks very distinctive...

6. lchris21

lchris21 Member

I don't think its going to make the cut........ :whistle:

edging towards the CB50 tank if I can get it in the position I want without too much drastic surgery :D

20161112_175048.jpg

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

The tank with Dunlop on looks like it's from a CB500/4, couldn't place the CB50 tank until you said!

8. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Bit of jiggery pokery this afternoon and it's nearly there....the Dunlop tank can wait for another day....:whistle: 20171119_180305.jpg

8ob, addjunkie and Wallace like this.
  9. Wallace

Wallace Member

Nice, swinging arm looks a bit long, you could put the exhaust in the gap though. :thumbup:

10. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Was going for the drag bike look:o Swing arm is also surplus already decided it was way too long as pointed out. Geometry needs tweaking to compensate for shorter forks Converting it to twin shock....:thumbup:

Wallace likes this.
  11. Wallace

Wallace Member

Twin shocks will look cool.

lchris21 likes this.
  12. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Have been mostly ordering parts and messing around with bits an bobs to get the wheels sorted so I can get some tyres on, in order to get the shorter swing arm in.

Also there's a new kid on the block in the tank department. All the way from the far eastern manufacturing universe, 8 days from ordering :o. To be fair it looks decent, not too much remedial work with only a couple of low spots, and a great improvement over the tank I bought from India a few years back.

And the winner is..........:drunk:

IMG_8375.JPG IMG_8378.JPG IMG_8382.JPG IMG_8442.JPG

slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  13. lchris21

lchris21 Member

The wheels needed a strip down. The plan is/was........

Remove the hub from the rear rim and put it into the wider replacement rim I've bought so I can get a bigger tyre up back. Then re-lace the front hub into the rear rim........you following me...:D

The rear hub had become attached to the spokes after a very long relationship, and they did not want to divorce without a fight :welder:......eventually managed to get them all in the right places. Will get some stainless replacements on order but for the time being the old rusty ones will be used during the build.

IMG_8422.JPG IMG_8433.JPG IMG_8435.JPG IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8452.JPG IMG_8495.JPG IMG_8497.JPG

dobbslc, daleyd, dazza and 7 others like this.
  14. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Been mostly working towards getting the front wheel sorted this week. Plan is to try and get it the bike sitting on its wheels and tyres before the end of the year.......:whistle:

First job up was to shorten the front wheel spindle. I'd forgotten it was too long after the end of the last season. So a quick zip with a parting tool in the lathe and a bit of threading and all is good.

IMG_8524.JPG IMG_8526.JPG IMG_8527.JPG IMG_8528.JPG IMG_8529.JPG

8ob, slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  15. lchris21

lchris21 Member

As I was truing the wheel up ready to start messing about with it, I realised I had forgotten to machine the hub to even up the bearing housings as one is longer than the other. Want to get it looking symmetrical and it should help with the brake disc adaptors I need to make. Time to strip the wheel down again and build it back up. This time with some spare spokes I found at the bottom of a pile of misc bike parts I've been hoarding for years.....the rusty spokes were making the place look untidy anyhow :D

I'm getting quite quick at re-spoking wheels these days !!

She should have a decent amount of stopping power up front compared to the old set up :D

20171215_161507.jpg IMG_7433.JPG IMG_8518.JPG IMG_8519.JPG IMG_8521.JPG IMG_8540.JPG

16. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Fits quite nice.......
    IMG_8534.JPG IMG_8536.JPG IMG_8537.JPG

indy4x, Burdekin and daleyd like this.
  17. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Need to get the brake rotor and caliper brackets sorted. So out with the scissors and cardboard............I always watched Blue Peter as a kid :D

Don't think the cardboard adapter plate will be able to handle the forces of the Nissin 3 Pots, so I made a stronger one out of 1mm aluminium.....................should be fine :o

IMG_8522.JPG IMG_8544.JPG IMG_8545.JPG IMG_8547.JPG IMG_8548.JPG IMG_8551.JPG IMG_8554.JPG IMG_8555.JPG IMG_8556.JPG

indy4x, 8ob, Rannsachair and 9 others like this.
  18. darren.a.roberts Member

Cambridge
    Loving it.....

lchris21 likes this.
  19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    wow, amazing work...very detailed...

JP

lchris21 likes this.
  20. RichardM Member

Stepped plates for the calipers?
    Do those Nissins have a separate system for the linked brakes?

Advertisements