Another rotten vehicle thread

1. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Bodies are off on the next two :)

Images should be back in a couple of weeks, I've exceeded my bandwidth for the month on my free version of Photobucket.

2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Which is why it's better to upload direct to the forum, the pics don't dissapear :(

3. Jim Davey

If I could figure out how to do that from a phone I would :s

4. Jim Davey

Transit refurb number two comes back from the painters on Monday, looking forward to seeing it professionally done.

5. Jim Davey

Here she is. Needs a few things sorting out while she's off the road but it's nearly there, we decided to improve the reliability if the lights at the back end by fitting some LED units. To make life easier we wired them up to a male female socket so if we ever have a problem with a light it should be a quick job to swap it out with a new one. We'll put a spare on the shelf with a new plug ready to go. One thing that caught us out was that the lights require a resistor on the indicator circuit to get the flasher to operate at the correct speed but apart from that they are pretty straightforward.

[​IMG]

The tent is bloody handy as we have no undercover area for working on vehicles. I modified some axle stands to get enough height to be able to drive a Transit under the tent and the lights link with law mower plugs and sockets so really quick and easy to illuminate the working area. (The tent was bought for working on the race car and trade shows but been to busy for any of either lately)

[​IMG]

Light with a 7 pin Amphenol weatherproof plug fitted.

[​IMG]

6. Robotstar5

Looks like some one's nicked your Transit in the second pic :laughing:

Have you fitted the indicator resistor in the lamp unit/lead so normal light units can be fitted?

7. Jim Davey

We have now yes, but you'd think they would stick a couple in the box with the lights as well as some instructions as people are more often than not going to need them.

8. Robotstar5

Depends where you get them from, the LED indicator lamps I got had the resistors in the packet.

9. Jim Davey

These are Britax units from a local commercial vehicle place.

10. XMWelder

XMWelder Member

Cambridge, UK
    Transit

That certainly looks like a challenge.

Full marks for saving a transit. Most people simply fill the front arches with pudding. I used to have a semi hi-top LWB but as it only had 72 BHP, it struggled when loaded and weirdly the economy stayed the same whether loaded up or empty (28mpg) it seemed to rust almost over night though. My one was a '97 and I found rust under intact underseal and even unbroken paint. Read somewhere it was due to low phospate content of the steel used in the construction.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Andrew

11. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Regarding the LED lamps - you could also consider have changed the flasher unit for the electronic type. These will flash at a constant rate independent of current. Less wiring and less heat.

12. Jim Davey

Yeah, I think next time we'll do that as mounting and wiring up the resistors etc is a pain in the behind.

13. Jim Davey

[​IMG]

14. keeny Member

hi jim
    what a great job u done there great welding, just notice in 1 picture of your welder
    what make is it, it looks a good en, i used a GYS160 smartmig i built one side of a
    TK 12ton bedford n/s/f inside floor, step and wheel arch, did take some pics
    with me fone il try and get some on here just getting a bit of prob with
    me pc, wud be nice if we all on here take photos of our welders, anyway jim keep up
    the good work, keeny.......

15. Jim Davey

Thanks for the moral support Keeny, the mig pictured is our EWM Picopulse 180, it's a little 240 volt synergic pulse mig and it's made me rather spoilt. Such a nice little machine to use and so easy to dial in settings it makes it a bit of a chore when you go back to a conventional machine with voltage steps and wire feed speed to think about.

16. Jim Davey

You mentioned welder pics, here's a few of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've got more but those are the ones in at the moment.

17. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I think you could do with a few more, you have some gaps on the shelf there.

18. Jim Davey

I'll get some ordered up Monday ;)

19. campervan

campervan Member

uk west midlands
    nice work you should buy her a nice seat cover too

20. Jim Davey

Done that already :)

Even re carpeted the floor of the cab.

[​IMG]